This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

All of the FSPs I've seen from the last few years have had DM311 based 5vsb circuits, even the low end ones with whimpy heat sinks and out of spec ripple.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
      All of the FSPs I've seen from the last few years have had DM311 based 5vsb circuits, even the low end ones with whimpy heat sinks and out of spec ripple.
      None of them have it... They all use the same pi filter for the 5vsb... I've got 20-pin 250 watt, and recent 300/350-watt 24-pin models (FSP300-60THN, FSP350-PN), Remarked FSPs from Aopen, etc... They all have an almost identical 5vsb circuit and there's always two 8mm Teapo SC caps there, and they're almost always what's stopping the thing from working. I replace them with 6.3v 1200uF KZEs because I can get them cheap and they have a better ripple rating.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

The PI filter has nothing to do with the DM311 chip. The DM311 chip would be on the primary side of the PSU. Look for an 8 pin DIP chip. If those FSPs are single-transistor forward converter designs (and they probably are), you might see two 8 pin DIP chips (one being the PWM controller).

Comment

Omni 400W

Small primary caps, No PI filter coils, not enough caps on the secondary, and the caps which are there are all from unknown brands, and it blew up at 320W on the load tester
          Attached Files

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

The PI filter has nothing to do with the DM311 chip. The DM311 chip would be on the primary side of the PSU. Look for an 8 pin DIP chip. If those FSPs are single-transistor forward converter designs (and they probably are), you might see two 8 pin DIP chips (one being the PWM controller).
            Why are those two Teapo caps always bloating in the pi filter where the purple +5VSB goes in?
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Some nasty capacitors in a old Fortron PSU.
              Surprisingly, this PSU was pulled from a working machine, and the voltages were stable... And the only capacitor that isn't bulging is Fuhjyyu, oh well.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                Why are those two Teapo caps always bloating in the pi filter where the purple +5VSB goes in?
                I don't know how right I am on this but maybe Teapos are more prone to fail by way of heat exposure than many other capacitors.

Originally posted by Jooo View Post
                Some nasty capacitors in a old Fortron PSU.
                Surprisingly, this PSU was pulled from a working machine, and the voltages were stable... And the only capacitor that isn't bulging is Fuhjyyu, oh well.
                Ironic, considering Fuhjyyu is at the bottom of the chain pretty much when it comes to capacitor quality. At least that has Panasonic primary capacitors, though those heatsinks are not impressive but at least they're not finless. I'm not surprised that it was still stable. I think it's because FSP (at least in that timeframe of PSUs) PSUs are well designed. I had a FSP300-60BTV (it had similar heatsinks) that worked fine outside of some cold booting problems; (refusing to boot unless I let 5VSB sit for two minutes or so before turning on the computer) it was later discovered that a Fuhjyyu bloated on the 5VSB rail, and that PSU had a mingling of Jamicon, Teapo, and Fuhjyyu capacitors (Teapo LXK primaries, 680uF/200V). It still worked for many years. I also noticed that your PSU has less than 1A on the 5VSB rail... not sure how common that is, for usually I don't see 5VSB as rated below 1A in PSUs, even the older ones.

Comment

Same story with my Teapo-equipped FSP200-60ATV I scrapped a few weeks ago. It worked right up to the day when I had to power off the PC (it's on 24/7), and it never came back on afterwards. I'm now seeing how long a Fuhjyyu-equipped "420W" Thermal Master will hold up in the same system.

Comment

Omni 400W

Small primary caps, No PI filter coils, not enough caps on the secondary, and the caps which are there are all from unknown brands, and it blew up at 320W on the load tester

Looks like some LC to me. It even has input rectifier, thermistor and some stuff, it does not seem to be so bad, and 320 W is something you can work with, right…? Gonna repair it?
                    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Nah, I've got lots of spare 400W+ PSUs, so a cheap 250 Watter isn't really much good to me.

Comment

Nah, I've got lots of spare 400W+ PSUs, so a cheap 250 Watter isn't really much good to me.
                        Time to blow the rest of it up :P
                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Is that light blue cap a Lelon? The PSU looks honestly rated. Are those primary Panasonic caps still good?

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                            Is that light blue cap a Lelon? The PSU looks honestly rated. Are those primary Panasonic caps still good?
                            They all look to be 'YEC' brand caps.
                            YEC = YUK
                            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Omni 400W

That thing looks pretty bad...It looks similar to one I threw away a while back. Wow, look at all those spots on the secondary for more caps...And to be honest, I'm surprised it could even do 320W! It probably wasn't in spec though. What died when it blew up, the secondary diodes? Those heatsinks don't look too good
                              Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                              They all look to be 'YEC' brand caps.
                              YEC = YUK
                              Ohhh that's right, YEC are also light blue... YUK indeed

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                                Good question, but I don't think I can answer it. Most likely they just get overexposed to heat, as Wester547 suggested. Perhaps there's a hot spot there. Or maybe the caps were not correctly specced for that circuit.

I just fixed the 2-transistor 5vsb circuit of an old 235-watter. The output caps were failed, and putting any load over 100 mA would make the voltage oscillate all over the place between 4V and 5V with lots of audible noise. When that happened, the second rail produced by the 5VSB transformer (normally 12V - used for powering the driving transformer for the BJTs on the main power supply) would jump to over 30V! That was all bad news for the 16V, 47uF cap that was filtering that rail. I then changed the output caps on the 5VSB with 2x very low ESR caps (one is actually motherboard grade), and the 5VSB is now solid as a rock and stable right at 5.01V, even with 800 mA of load. I have no doubts it will do fine at higher loads.

Comment

That thing looks pretty bad...It looks similar to one I threw away a while back. Wow, look at all those spots on the secondary for more caps...And to be honest, I'm surprised it could even do 320W! It probably wasn't in spec though. What died when it blew up, the secondary diodes? Those heatsinks don't look too good.
                                  Switching transistors are far more commonplace in terms of failure than diodes or rectifying bridges (because they usually get decent airflow that's why they get away with using diodes in place of rectifying bridges in some very cheap PSUs, as has been noted before).

As for those Teapo capacitors, it could just be an inadequate batch as well. But Teapos may also fail around or on the 5VSB rail because the 5VSB rail (I might be wrong on this) is more often active than any other rail on a PSU (as it is still active when the system is 'soft-off' or 'soft-on"), so the capacitors on that rail are almost always working to some extent unless AC power is cut.

Comment

...I'm surprised it could even do 320W! It probably wasn't in spec though. What died when it blew up, the secondary diodes? Those heatsinks don't look too good
                                    No, it wasn't in spec. The switchers exploded at 320W. They were 13007s, and that's usually where they blow up.

Comment

I have one of those Omni 400W PSUs which I want to use to power an old P4 machine. Was the ripple bad? Can you suggest some modifications I can make to improve it? What caps should I add/replace on the output filtering? Many thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by tleu8472 View Post
                                        I have one of those Omni 400W PSUs which I want to use to power an old P4 machine. Was the ripple bad? Can you suggest some modifications I can make to improve it? What caps should I add/replace on the output filtering? Many thanks.
                                        Seeing how very few filter caps there were, I would guess that the ripple was terrible. It's also missing PI filter coils.
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

What uF and voltage ratings should I use to add/replace the secondary filtering caps? It does have resistors instead of coils - will this suffice for what will probably be a 250W max load system?

Comment

Working...
                                          X