This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

It's made by CWT, so it's probably a Neo Power , Smart Power, [type something here] Power

See http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page673.htm for Antec's models and oems

Comment

My guess is an SL350 or SL300 (one of the early StupidPowers)
      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Antec SmartPower without PFC

Comment

Ah, no review anywhere…
          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

NOT BAD, after full recap and fan-mod

Comment

Sorry, didn't think anybody would care for a model number. Antec Smart Power SL400. The label is a royal pain to photograph- too many reflections
              Attached Files
              www.kuzyatech.com My blog about things I make, break and fix

Comment

They probably blew the budget on the shiny label, instead of making a half decent power supply...
                Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hahaha so that's how they got away with selling those things at high prices

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                    They probably blew the budget on the shiny label, instead of making a half decent power supply...

The sad thing is that they were decent power supplies with the exception of the caps and how the fan controler was set, a few cents in quality caps and a fan controler set to speed up at a lower tep and these could have been some of the most reliable PSUs of their generation but instead they were some of the least reliable.

Comment

Trash. I think when they made it they forgot to print the IT after SH Can't tell who made it but it kinda looks like my old POS Raidmax...Input caps are HEC, the rest are JEE. Surprised to see ANY parts at all for the transient filtering. The PWM controller is made by Fairchild (don't know the model) I threw it straight in the trash. Should I consider salvaging it? There are hardly any caps on the secondary....
                      Attached Files

Comment

^
                        Originally posted by Label
                        High Quality Switching Power Supply

It's a Sun Pro.

It actually looks to use DC-DC conversion on the 3.3V rail, and the heat sinks look thick enough. Might be a keeper if you re-cap and fix up the input filtering.

EDIT: The Delta I posted before is alive. I replaced the caps, the smaller torroid coil, and the wires. It's fine now. It does the full 300W in spec.
                        Last edited by c_hegge; 10-02-2012, 10:49 PM.

Comment

^ How is the efficiency of that Delta at 300W and below?

Comment

I didn't do a progressive load test. It was late in the day, and I had other things to do, so I just took it straight up to 310W. The efficiency there was about 77% IIRC. Not great for 230V, but I've seen much worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                              Trash. I think when they made it they forgot to print the IT after SH Can't tell who made it but it kinda looks like my old POS Raidmax...Input caps are HEC, the rest are JEE. Surprised to see ANY parts at all for the transient filtering. The PWM controller is made by Fairchild (don't know the model) I threw it straight in the trash. Should I consider salvaging it? There are hardly any caps on the secondary....
                              Yeah the heatsinks look somewhat decent. What transformer it uses? I think it is the most basic element really. You can pretty much change everything else, but not so much the transformer (well, if you don't have bigger one with the same wiring from another PSU).
                              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                                Yeah the heatsinks look somewhat decent. What transformer it uses? I think it is the most basic element really. You can pretty much change everything else, but not so much the transformer (well, if you don't have bigger one with the same wiring from another PSU).
                                +1

And I was never brave enough to change the primary transistors of a psu.

Comment

The transformer looks like an ERL-33. It would be good for 250W after a re-cap, which is enough for a basic PC.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                    It's a Sun Pro.
                                    Sun Pro it is, indeed.
                                    I wouldn't touch that particular platform even with a 10 m stick. It's crappy at best. Decent source of parts, though.

Originally posted by Pentium4
                                    Should I consider salvaging it? There are hardly any caps on the secondary....
                                    Yes, you should. The caps may as well be garbage, but the secondary rectifiers on those are usually okay. The 5V rail in particular, may have 16 or 20A part. It's not a whole lot, but when you get a Deer or a Bestec that has space for a second rectifier on one of it's rails, this becomes a really nice upgrade. The MOSFET that regulates the 3.3V rail on these units is also useful. The 431 shunt regulator is also useful if you like to thinker/play with circuits.

Comment

I've never seen an ERL-33 transformer. What I have seen are EI-33 and ERL-35. (And larger sizes like ERL-39 in bigger PSUs, or EI-28 in the worst of the worst.)

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                        Sun Pro it is, indeed.
                                        I wouldn't touch that particular platform even with a 10 m stick. It's crappy at best. Decent source of parts, though.

Yes, you should. The caps may as well be garbage, but the secondary rectifiers on those are usually okay. The 5V rail in particular, may have 16 or 20A part. It's not a whole lot, but when you get a Deer or a Bestec that has space for a second rectifier on one of it's rails, this becomes a really nice upgrade. The MOSFET that regulates the 3.3V rail on these units is also useful. The 431 shunt regulator is also useful if you like to thinker/play with circuits.
                                        I'll recheck tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it was a 30A part for the 5V though

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker View Post
                                          I've never seen an ERL-33 transformer. What I have seen are EI-33 and ERL-35. (And larger sizes like ERL-39 in bigger PSUs, or EI-28 in the worst of the worst.)
                                          If you have some transformer info, please feel free to contribute to a list https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22475

Comment

Working...
                                          X