X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

No, it looks like a Keerda (Logisys)
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Is it me, or does the capacitor next to the 3.3V (orange) wires in picture 8 look like it has pushed it's bung out, without bulging?
      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
        Is it me, or does the capacitor next to the 3.3V (orange) wires in picture 8 look like it has pushed it's bung out, without bulging?
        Excelent observation! I haven't noticed it But now that I checked it you are absolutely right! It seems that the cap tried to fly to the moon

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
          Excelent observation! I haven't noticed it But now that I checked it you are absolutely right! It seems that the cap tried to fly to the moon
          Haha!

Strange that it doesn't show a hint of bulging on the top... lol
          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

I have seen that before. I can't blame those caps for bulging though.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
              I think this belongs here
              Oh, yes it does for sure

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if that thing couldn't deliver 1W with the ripple in spec from day 1.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

What a gutless POS! 450W? For how many picoseconds?! 200W might have been pushing one's luck! And judging by the toasty wires on those O/P inductors, some one did try to get significant current from that thing (I think that inductor wire that is lifted from the PCB, if it wasn't desoldered for troubleshooting, may have gotten hot enough to desolder itself). The O/P inductors' cores probably were hot for a long time and their magnetic properties have probably changed significantly. I would suggest either stripping off the wire from the things for recycling or simply trashing those inductors along with the rest of that alleged power supply! Don't reuse those O/P inductors for anything you care about!
                  Last edited by PeteS in CA; 01-04-2014, 10:22 AM.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

The fan stopped moving and the rest you know... It was powering a Pentium D with Nvidia 8800 or 8600...

Comment

It was powering a Pentium D with Nvidia 8800 or 8600...
                      And The mobo was

Comment

Definitely Keerda. At least they used the ST rectifier on the 12V. But there isn't much good to say about that power supply... At least it has half an input filter?

Comment

They don't get much more gutless than this... Wonder what's up with the caps tho, as the warranty seal wasn't broken.
                          Attached Files
                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

On the upside, quite a lot of space between primary and secondary, lots of space between high voltage traces, room for additional filtering on primary side, big heatsinks, no two diodes treatment for 12v....

Shame the main transformer is so weak.

Why did it die, can't figure it out (that inductor is obvious but what made it burn) ?

Comment

Most likely somebody pulling too much from it?
                              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                                Why did it die, can't figure it out (that inductor is obvious but what made it burn) ?
                                Partially seized fan. The caps didn't have time to cook fortunately. 5vsb was fine, so i replaced the output inductor and it fired right up. Went back in the computer, coz well, owner was cheap.

Powered a 1.6GHz Celeron 420, 1GB RAM, Geforce 7200 and a single hard drive, so not much load on it. But it was still a pathetic PSU. 12A fast recovery on 12v, linear regulator with MOSFET for 3.3v (hey, at least it supplies clean power), and the diode on the 5v had its part number scraped off. Most likely 30A judging by its size. Seen worse, but still pathetic... The diode on the 5vsb is a joke tho, that looks like a 2 amp job at most. At least they left its leads long so it has a chance to catch some cool air.
                                Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 01-07-2014, 02:28 PM.
                                Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                  Partially seized fan.
                                  Those output inductors are rather stressed in these cheep POSes, more so than even in "StupidPowers." Linkworlds were like this- good sized transformer, but the too-small output inductor would "smell" below rated output. The 12V windings were too small upon examination. Too much load on +12 for too long would easily result in shorted turns. And cooked cores and blown switchers.

The caps didn't have time to cook fortunately. 5vsb was fine, so i replaced the output inductor and it fired right up. Went back in the computer, coz well, owner was cheap.
                                  What else is new? At least you got to fix it and save the computer. As you know, some people are content to run their stuff on raw AC, as supplied by a Deer!

Powered a 1.6GHz Celeron 420, 1GB RAM, Geforce 7200 and a single hard drive, so not much load on it. But it was still a pathetic PSU. 12A fast recovery on 12v, linear regulator with MOSFET for 3.3v (hey, at least it supplies clean power), and the diode on the 5v had its part number scraped off. Most likely 30A judging by its size. Seen worse, but still pathetic... The diode on the 5vsb is a joke tho, that looks like a 2 amp job at most. At least they left its leads long so it has a chance to catch some cool air.
                                  Aww... From the days when 5VSB was still an afterthought.

What were hiding with all that grinding?? I mean, they could've actually made it "challenging," by grinding that PWM IC.

"LOW ESR." Compared to what, an open ckt?

I suppose I could "rap" now... bwahaha
                                  Last edited by kaboom; 01-07-2014, 04:37 PM.
                                  "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                  Originally posted by shango066
                                  All style and no substance.
                                  Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                  guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                  guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

I imagine that "Zhila" cap (the 4.7uF 50V one) next to that resistor and 13007 isn't long for this world, assuming you didn't replace it.

That is indeed a horrible PSU, but the system it was in is probably <100W at all times, so I bet even ripple is in spec. Nice save though

Did you re-oil that fan or put a different one in there?

Edit: LOL @ the label right below the brand name "Demand More"
                                    Last edited by Pentium4; 01-07-2014, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                                      Those output inductors are rather stressed in these cheep POSes, more so than even in "StupidPowers." Linkworlds were like this- good sized transformer, but the too-small output inductor would "smell" below rated output. The 12V windings were too small upon examination. Too much load on +12 for too long would easily result in shorted turns. And cooked cores and blown switchers.
                                      I was gonna say, There's more to it than just the fan. Take the Delta GPS-300AP I posted here on page 7 for example. The fan on that one was completely stuck, the PCB was badly darkened and just about every single cap was vented. However, the toroid coils are still fine. It's in my parents PC now with the original main toroid coil.
                                      Last edited by c_hegge; 01-07-2014, 05:05 PM.

Comment

They don't get much more gutless than this...
                                        Awwww, what a cute little transformer!
                                        Who's a cute transformer?... You are a little cute transformer... Oh yes you are! Oh yes you are

Wonder what's up with the caps tho, as the warranty seal wasn't broken.
                                        Maybe it was refurbed by some Chinese company with whatever used caps they could find from junk/e-waste?
                                        Other than that, I really have no clue.

Originally posted by kaboom
                                        What were hiding with all that grinding??
                                        Those should be 30A 45V rectifiers. But I imagine it's probably the same deal as with RAM modules from "lesser" known manufacturers... i.e. these particular rectifiers were likely bought on the black market or under the counter from some manufacturer who had a bunch of parts that didn't quite meet specification (i.e. refused parts).

Given the cap brands, this PSU is one hell of a "late night shift" job anyways. So for the time being, I will stick with that theory.

Originally posted by Pentium4
                                        Edit: LOL @ the label right below the brand name "Demand More"
                                        Really funny indeed. With that small transformer and that cooked torroid, they really should change that to "Do NOT demand more" . Or "Demand More. We dare you"
                                        Last edited by momaka; 01-07-2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Maybe it has something to do with the labeled wattage?
                                          Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                          Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Working...
                                          X