• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
    i suspect cougar is too.
    Nope, Cougar is simply HEC/Compucase's retail brand
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

btw i did save some parts before i tossed it.
      could have fixed it if i wanted to wait a month for the part to come slow boat but i have better things to do besides polishing turds.
      because that is what all leadman/coming data/deer/whatever they go by this week are.shitboxes.

Comment

I don't blame you. What did you decide to keep out of it? Usually Leadman uses decent wires because they want the exterior to look good so that it will sell...

Comment

The cutout in the heatsink around the 5VSB rectifier diode is nice.

Comment

Here's a Solid Gear SDGR-750E (Leadman LP-8869E) from a friend's computer. Secondary caps are Chengx, no idea about the others. Looks like maybe a 300W to me.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
              Here's a Solid Gear SDGR-750E (Leadman LP-8869E) from a friend's computer. Secondary caps are Chengx, no idea about the others. Looks like maybe a 300W to me.
              Looks fairly good actually.
              PWM chip for the 5V_STBY, and a decent sized main transformer.
              Note that there is a to-247 device on the secondary heatsink! That is probably a fairly beefy rectifier.
              Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

It's the same thing as the Inland. Based on the model, this one is probably rated for 750W.

Comment

Originally posted by cheapie View Post
                  A Leadman with a bridge rectifier? That's news to me!

Comment

Delta Serverpower 450W EX. (CAA-450BT A). Was browsing the Web on my Ivy Bridge system when there was a loud pop from the power supply and the system shut down. I took it apart but there is no sign of damage. I think only the fuse blew. I would like to identify the problem that caused the fuse to blow. Any ideas? It has only been in use for less than two years.
                    Attached Files

Comment

PS. I don't recall any smoke coming out of the unit.

Comment

^ If you're troubleshooting, you may want to start your own thread to get more (specific) replies. This thread is mostly meant for posting pictures of crappy power supplies (which yours really isn't).

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion. I have just started a new thread.

Comment

GTR Type-R 400W. Thoughts welcome. All the caps on the secondary are Cheng brand 10V 1000uF, no pi filter coils.
                            Attached Files

Comment

250W max with ripple barely in specs is the best you could get from it.

Comment

Forgot to post the power ratings. Is it safe to use it in a 200W system? Eg. Pentium Dual Core (E5400, 45nm), integrated graphics, 2 sticks of DDR2 RAM, 1x SATA 7200rpm hard drive, 1x DVD-RW drive and a 12cm case fan?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a good candidate for some modding though!
                                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

It is unsafe to use it anywhere unless you put some input filtering, coils on the secondary and change the caps.

Comment

Agreed. As it stands, I wouldn't allow that within a mile of any of my PCs.
                                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

OK, so I should add pi filter coils on the secondary and change all the caps. Do I need pi filter coils of any particular specification, or can I just rip them from another power supply? Also, on the transient filter, what do I need to add? It appears to have one coil, two X caps and two Y caps in place. Thank you for your advice.

Comment

I suspect you will need to calculate the right value for the pi coils rather than just put anything in, if you want the PSU to operate correctly and stable. How you would do that though I have no idea.
                                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                          -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                          X