This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the gutless, bloated, and fried power supply hall of shame

Usually ppl just stick something in, for the good feeling you can scope it if it is not oscillating.
    Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
    Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

The pi filter coils have too low inductance to play a part in the feedback loop.
      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

They can have too high for example for -12 V, I sucesfully brought one PoS to oscillation by sticking some inductor instead of wire…changed it for resistor-size inductor than.
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Comment

Yeah, with those wimpy input rectifers, heatsinks, input lytics and main transformer, 250W might be optimistic. But for 200W should be OK. Since you'll be changing them anyway, upping the input lytics to 470uF or even 680uF would be good. And if you can find some 4A or 5A axial standard recovery rectifiers that would fit, replacing those would be good. Do both changes and 250W might be credible.
          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

A couple of weeks ago I've had a cheap powersupply die on me. I can't remember the model but it was a codegen and it came included with codegens 4063 case and was rated for 500W. I left my computer running one night (I tend to leave it running) and when I came back it was dead. I thought maybe a capacitor had blown but I was wrong. What it looks like is that the transformer melted and burnt inside the powersupply. Nobody heard anything when the computer died. The underside of the board was black from the intense heat. I should of taken more pictures and written down the details but it was before I found out about this board and after I've thrown it out. I guess I missed the power supply with the compressor last time I cleaned . I'm glad there was a soldered fuse or else it would of taken my motherboard and possibly my videocard.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by nasuga; 03-06-2014, 08:06 PM. Reason: Remembered Manafacture

Comment

If nothing else was burnt, then maybe that choke shorted by itself or there was some power line disturbance which blew it. Seems odd
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
                If nothing else was burnt, then maybe that choke shorted by itself or there was some power line disturbance which blew it. Seems odd
                Agreed. My brother (who studied as an electrical engineer) told me that it's possible that the varnish or coating on the windings dried/melted and it started shorting. I don't think there was a power line disturbance because I was home at the time and I didn't notice any problems with other electronics or with the lights. Also, the power supply was plugged into a surge protector.

Comment

Looks like the input filtering coil. That's very unusual. I've never seen an input filtering coil burn up like that.
                  I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                    Looks like the input filtering coil. That's very unusual. I've never seen an input filtering coil burn up like that.
                    looks underrated to me....
                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I replaced it with a brand new Corsair RM550. Rumor is that they used CapXon caps inside but with a flash light I was able to spot a large chemicon but I couldn't identify the rest. I'm just glad there was a fuse that protected my motherboard even though it's riddled with KT and WX caps.

Comment

^
                        The large PFC cap in those is indeed a Chemi-Con. But the rest of them will be capxon, and will probably fail within 3 years.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by nasuga View Post
                          I replaced it with a brand new Corsair RM550. Rumor is that they used CapXon caps inside but with a flash light I was able to spot a large chemicon but I couldn't identify the rest.
                          Going by this: http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-a.../Detailed-Look it should have UCC KY which are good. (Can see one there anyway, not sure what is buried under the wiring though)

Wouldn't be surprised if some use\used CapXon though, I saw a Corsair CX400, it was full of Su'scon and OST, which are pretty mediocre.
                          Last edited by Agent24; 03-06-2014, 10:53 PM.
                          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                          -David VanHorn

Comment

The PSU has a 5 year warranty if it fails. I figured it outweighed the fact that it was built with bad caps. Chances are though that it will fail right after the warranty expires now come to think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                              Looks like the input filtering coil. That's very unusual.
                              Yes.

This is one reason I don't like to see input filtering of ANY kind BEFORE the fuse (except maybe large PPFC chokes). If your breaker doesn't trip, you could be in big trouble.

Comment

If no breaker trips (there should be at least two of them - the main one and than special ones for phases or even outlets/ligths etc.), why are yo ucertain fuse will burn? There are always slow fuses for high currents, like 5+ A for PSU which wil never draw more than 2 A.

Comment

A possible cause for the filter coil to burn like that is, of course, a shorted turn or two.
                                  Another is, the power supply could have gone unstable and caused excessive high frequency ripple on the primary side, which could burn out the choke (which filters out the high frequency, preventing it from going back into the mains wiring).
                                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                                    Another is, the power supply could have gone unstable and caused excessive high frequency ripple on the primary side, which could burn out the choke
                                    Interesting, haven't heard of that one before. What causes that?
                                    -David VanHorn

Comment

^Me neither. I think the primary transistors should fail way before that happens, though. Would be an interesting experiment to try to see what it takes to cook one of those input chokes, though (besides too much current). More specifically, how much RF/noise would be needed.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                        ^Me neither. I think the primary transistors should fail way before that happens, though. Would be an interesting experiment to try to see what it takes to cook one of those input chokes, though (besides too much current). More specifically, how much RF/noise would be needed.
                                        http://translate.google.com/translat...l-350-W/1885/1

nice fireworks btw:
                                        http://www.clubedohardware.com.br/ar...l-350-W/1885/8
                                        Last edited by goodpsusearch; 05-11-2014, 06:09 PM.

Comment

^Very interesting. I wish they (clubedohardware) would have done a deconstruction of the coil to see why it burned... i.e. too thin of a wire, improper wire, or what exactly. Would also have been cool to bypass the PPFC and filtering and try to run the PSU again to see how far it would go. The heatsinks look decent. I bet it could hit 300W of raw power (that is, ripple probably won't be in spec on output).

So I guess the conclusion is that now we can't trust input filtering coils in cheap PSUs either.

Comment

Working...
                                          X