Relubing fans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Relubing fans

For those of you that do not know how to grease a fan in a computer and may get stuck one day with something not working and not able to get a replacement part right away, but still need the fans up and working right away, here is a guide that I hope that will help you. Sorry about there being no pictures.

The more I think about it, I decided to just give you the info in case you decide to grease a fan. Here is a general guide to anyone that can use it. This is about the instructions for an 80mm case fan, but most fans are like this in a computer. Just slightly different setups.

1. Remove fan

2. The opposite side of the fan that the blades are on, there is usually a sticker down the middle of the fan. Remove it. It will usually just peel up from the edge. Don't expect to reuse it as they usually don't stick very well when reapplied. If it does then try to save it, but if not, don't worry about it for now.

3. Sometimes there is a little rubber or plastic cap right down the middle. If there is one there, then remove it. If not then do not worry about it.

WARNING: There is a rod that you will see down the middle. It should be about 1/8" or about 2mm in diameter. DO not try to push or pry it. There is a clip there that holds it in place and you will break the fan before the clip breaks free from the shaft.

4. On the shaft there is usually a plastic washer looking piece. It will usually look solid but it is not. There is a slit in one side of that plastic washer looking clip. You will need to remove that clip. It can be removed by using something like a pair of tweezers or a small pick or something like that. Heck, if all you have is a toothpick, give it a try. I have found that usually if you push down slightly on one side, the slit will come open and you can get something like a pick down between the space in the slit and then pry it up.

WARNING: Do not break, or loose that plastic clip. You will need to reuse it. Also watch for any kind or rubber round washer under it. Sometimes there is one there and sometimes there isn't. It depends on the design.

5. Once the clip is off, the fan blades should just slide or easily pull out. Once it is removed, clean everything off. I wipe everything down and if too bad, wash the fan blades with soap and water. Make sure that it is completely dry before you put it back together if you do get it wet.

6. Apply a small amount of lube, or grease, depending on your personal taste, to the shaft. Try to make sure not to get any grease or lube on anything but the shaft. I usually push a little bit of grease, or lube into the small area where the shaft goes in along with all the way around the shaft. Push the shaft back in and spin it around to make sure that it spins freely.

WARNING: Do not go grease or lube crazy. It takes a very small amount to do the job. More is not always better in this case. Also try to make sure that you use a good quality grease or lubricant.

7. Reapply the clip and any washers or seals that were previously there.

8. Remember that sticker that was on there that I said do not worry about reusing. It is there to help seal the end, keeping the grease and oil in and the dirt and grime out. You will need to put some kind of sticker back on it to replace the one that you took off. I have found that usually about 1 in 20 of those stickers stick good enough to reuse it, so if you can then good for you, but use you own judgment. What I usually use is clear packing tape. Put a small piece on and then trim the edges with something sharp. I usually use a utility knife, but a kitchen knife would probably work too. Again, use your own judgment.

WARNING: Sharp objects can hurt so don't cut or stab your self. Sorry had to put that in there.

Fans for most things are like that, but there are variations such as some video cards do not have the plastic washer or clip to hold it together. The cover shield does the same job. An example of this might be on a video card.

The type of grease or lubricant that you use is up to you. I personally use grease that is made for greasing ball joints and tie rod ends in cars, but that is what I have here. It will work in an emergency, but what you should use should be something with the consistency of something between motor oil and bearing grease. In other wards, something that is thick like real maple syrup to a honey consistency. Whatever you use, try to make sure that it is a quality type of grease or lubricant that will stick for an extended length of time, will not run or drip off, and will not dry up with a little heat or time in the air.

Re: Relubing fans

if a fan needs a re-lube, then it is a POS most of the time.

just my thought.
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

I have found that a drop of high grade motor oil cures most of them, sometimes for a significantly long time!

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747

just my thought.
        If it's a case fan, you can replace it with a better one. If it's a video card fan, it can be difficult to find an appropriate replacment, so that's when you oil it.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747

just my thought.
          Just wait til you get your driver's license! Lube your car regularly or you will get some surprises.

I am not convinced that CHEAP plastic fans made in China have high quality lubricants.

I have cleaned and lubricated many fans - they work so much better afterwards. This is a great post, and a good idea to pass on. Thanks.
          Old proverb say.........If you shoot at nothing, you will hit nothing (George Henry 10-14-11)

Comment

I use LaBelle 107 synthetic plastic compatible oil (Hobby shop) and Super Lube Synthetic Grease with PTFE (Teflon) in tube form.

Cleaning the shaft with a solvent and a rough cloth to remove any build up or discoloration. Grease on the rubber o-ring washers/seals, especially the ones under tension when the fan is operating. Sometimes it's the back one, where you removed the clip, or the front under the motor. 2 drops of oil on the shaft during reassembly and another drop under the rubber bung when I close it up.

Use the tip of an old pen to re-seat that plastic washer. Holds it nicely and slips over shaft easily and keeps the lil bugger from flying across the room.

Save all these tiny washers, o-rings, seals from junk fans. You never know when you'll tear one up, or find the fan your fixing will be missing one.

Fire the fan up at 3/4 voltage and shake and twist it on all axis. If it makes noise or vibrates in your hand while doing that, it will eventually do the same once installed.

Toast
            veritas odium parit

Comment

And - DON'T just spray WD40 into the fan.. WD40 is NOT a lubricant and it'll destroy any lubricant that is in the sintered bearing, making it impossible to fix.

Comment

Ugh WD-40 or as I call it food dye colored water in a can. It can't displace water because it is water . I don't even oil my door hinges with that crap.

+5 on the Superlube when I replaced the worm gear on an old Bell and Howell Filmosound projector that lube was recommended highly by the old factory techs. Had to get it off e-bay though couldn't find it locally. Perfect for anywhere you would use silicone lube.

The majority of these fan lockups occur because these cheaper fans use sleeve bearings instead of permanently sealed ball bearings.

If you're in a pinch and need some time to get a replacement go for it but after a fan craps out on me like that I'd be searching for another. They're so inexpensive their cost far outweighs the replacement cost of the CPU or card that would overheat and possibly die should they fail.
                Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

I just buy a new fan its not even worth messing about with for the money they cost. I've had some fans running for 365/247 and they are fine. However I've got some cheaper fans and they have started to wobble and hit the sides of the fan case.
                  Last edited by dan86; 12-21-2009, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I know a guy who actually takes the lube out of fans, for whatever reason.

He claims it makes them go faster. WHAT?

(maybe by "go" he means die?)

Comment

i was just wondering how few pics would replace a lot of that writing in the OP.

Comment

for the pics.. probably quite a few.. but the only digital camera that i have is on my phone and it has gotten a bit fuzzy over time.. that is why no pics from me..

Thanks for the WD40 remark.. was going to put that in there too but completely slipped my mind by the time i get done what i did get done..

i know that people say, just replace the fan.. I have had people over that i was fixing there PC, they drop it off on say sunday afternoon and going to pick it up later, when i get in there i have found that they have bad fans and no way to go get some new ones.. no time and guess what.. stores are now closed, and no spares.. what do you do??? it ends up either relube or leave.. the lube wins.. have had the same problem with vid cards but not being able to find a replacement that will fit the card..

I know the first time that i took a fan apart, i looked at the end that had the clip and thought that it was a pressed on clip and that there was no way to take the fan apart.. tried prying it off and needless to say, by the time i was done, that fan was in pieces.. waaayyyy too many pieces.. you would never thing that the little piece of plastic would hold so good.. all i can say is good thing that it was one that i just replaced and wasnt needed.. but you can imagine what was going though my mind when i found out that it was just a little plastic clip... Im censoring it here on my thoughts.. it was not nice..

Comment

The best lube I ever found was Triflon. It came in a black can, contains teflon. It comes in spray and oil, both good. Between that and super weatherstrip adhesive in a squeeze tube, you can fix lots of stuff.

Comment

I use mobil1 synthetic in a small glass syringe with a thin gauge needle. The control and amount you can drop oil into bearings is nicer than sprays. Unless the bearings are very gunked up due to cooked up factory lubricant, I haven't found it necessary to take most fans apart for a re-lube.

After the initial re-lube, I've had fans last another 1-2 years before needing another re-lube but at this point, I just discard the fan. I did find some fans where no amount of cleaning and re-lube would quiet them down even if they're very new. Thicker greases are bad in the long run. White lithium, mineral oil etc gunks up after a few months. I did want to try some teflon based lubes but I never found a convenient place that had them.

Comment

There was a long drawn out thread on this subject, oh, 2? 3? years ago.

There are certain combinations of lubricants that give off deadly fumes and even that explode.

Keep trying guys!
                              One of you will find one of those eventually!
                              Mann-Made Global Warming.
                              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                              -
                              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                              -

Comment

http://www.ministeam.com/acatalog/Esbit.html

Shell Valvata J Oil 460, that stuff at the top. Thats what I use most of the time.

Comment

Got to say, I've done this a few times on fans that seem to be failing. They seemingly work great... for a while, but usually die in a few weeks. Get yourself some nice double ball bearing fans and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by MixMasta
                                    Got to say, I've done this a few times on fans that seem to be failing. They seemingly work great... for a while, but usually die in a few weeks. Get yourself some nice double ball bearing fans and be done with it.
                                    This is true, as most sleeve bearing fans are the ones doing this. Usually it is the shaft that gets worn down, and no amount of oil will put the metal back on the shaft, just make it so it dosen't bang around as much unit the oil works it's way out.

Comment

true, but try to get the manufacturers to change all fans to ball bearing.. i dont see it happen... sleeve bearing are just cheaper to manufacture and they probably figure, by the time it wears out, it is out of warranty so go buy new.. and in that way, do not have to worry about it.. most fans that i have seen are sleeve style, and that goes for vid cards to case fans to ones in power supplies.. heck, i have removable hard drive racks and they are even sleeve in those too..

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife
                                        This is true, as most sleeve bearing fans are the ones doing this. Usually it is the shaft that gets worn down, and no amount of oil will put the metal back on the shaft, just make it so it dosen't bang around as much unit the oil works it's way out.
                                        That's why you re-lube it as a preventative measure before the shaft wears out.
                                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                                        X