Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gigabyte GV-N98TWF3 OC GTX 980 ti - missing components can anyone identify?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gigabyte GV-N98TWF3 OC GTX 980 ti - missing components can anyone identify?

Hi Guys I have a Gigabyte GV-98TWF3OC-6GD Graphics card

Someone has made a botched attempt at replacing a couple of components . The guy I bought it from says they got broken off when the middle fan was replaced. The middle fan definitely looks like a replacement so maybe that is true.

I cleaned up the mess and it looks like an inductor 'LB6' was broken off (if this was originally fitted) and also capacitor C57. I'm more worried about the inductor than the capacitor to be honest.

It also looks like a track that runs under the capacitor could be damaged, but I can deal with that.

See pics - and I hope someone can help me out here.

Rich
    Attached Files
    Follow me on YouTube
    ------------------
    Learn Electronics Repair
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFX...R8UZ2vg/videos

Re: Gigabyte GV-N98TWF3 OC GTX 980 ti - missing components can anyone identify?

I have one of these at home, I'll have a look after work.

Comment

Well LB6 is certainly present, I can bodge together an lc tank circuit and measure with scope of you need me to?
      Attached Files

Comment

That would be really helpful if you could It must be a very low inductance, possibly not even necessary (maybe I can just use a ferrite bead type inductor from a scrap motherboard?

Can you tell me the value for C57 also?
        Follow me on YouTube
        ------------------
        Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Ahhaaaa - the capacitor is 4.7uF

This part of the schematic is the same as the reference card

The LB6 inductor just says BEAD - any suggestions what I could put there? I'm not sure it is even necessary, maybe just a piece of wire or 0 ohm resistor would do. Or look on some scrap boards (I have several GTX 780 scrap) for something similar or just buy some of these?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...883bbae26cd4-1
          Attached Files
          Last edited by dicky96; 01-28-2022, 11:31 AM.
          Follow me on YouTube
          ------------------
          Learn Electronics Repair

Comment

Probably mostly there to look good, so better replace it with something that looks the part

Comment

Originally posted by dicky96 View Post
              Ahhaaaa - the capacitor is 4.7uF

This part of the schematic is the same as the reference card

The LB6 inductor just says BEAD - any suggestions what I could put there? I'm not sure it is even necessary, maybe just a piece of wire or 0 ohm resistor would do. Or look on some scrap boards (I have several GTX 780 scrap) for something similar or just buy some of these?
              The 4V-rated cap, throws me off!
              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
              X