GTX 1660 BIOS Beep Error

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX 1660 BIOS Beep Error

Have a GTX 1660 SUPER VENTUS. When trying to boot its giving me a beep code error. I get 1 normal beep followed by 3 fast short beeps.

All voltages on the rails and resistances are correct. The GPU gets warm.

Tried in a different PC with the same results. msi b450 pro motherboard.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
    Last edited by lewistech; 03-11-2022, 06:04 AM.

Re: GTX 1660 BIOS Beep Error

This can be broken pcie caps on the 1st lane, bios issue, something wrong with pexrst circuit, something worse...I'd start by checking in diode mode, red probe on ground the pcie edge connector for 1st pcie lane, refclk+ and - and pexrst

Comment

Thanks. No broken caps. no shorts found in diode mode.

3.3v on PEX_RST goes through an AND gate ok. AND gate has a 1.8v Vcc and 1.8v output.

I have had an oscilloscope on the refclk +/- and can see a clock signal.

Not able to see and signals on the pex tx/rx lines though.

Comment

Does the own card has a buzzer? first time to hear about that. Or do you mean the beeps of the motherboard?

Comment

Originally posted by lewistech View Post
          Have a GTX 1660 SUPER VENTUS. When trying to boot its giving me a beep code error. I get 1 normal beep followed by 3 fast short beeps.
          One long and three short bleeps=it means video init failure. I'm afraid it's dead.

However, back in 2004, when I had my Asus A7V8X-X and tried a Radeon 9600 SE, before returning it, which the Radeon 9600 SE was new, but apparently needed to be warmed up before it will start up!

IIRC, back to Staples I went, to return it, to get something better, even when older, probably. (It was when I at least wanted a GeForce 4 Ti 4200) That bleep incident happened after I turned off the PC for the night and then it failed to initialize video, just because it was below a certain temp! I remember blowing warm air on that ATi Radeon 9600 SE, LOL

I now wonder if it will work after it gets warmed up. If it does, I then suspect a bad solder joint.
          Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-11-2022, 12:04 PM.
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Thanks. No broken caps. no shorts found in diode mode.

3.3v on PEX_RST goes through an AND gate ok. AND gate has a 1.8v Vcc and 1.8v output.

I have had an oscilloscope on the refclk +/- and can see a clock signal.

Not able to see and signals on the pex tx/rx lines though.
            I would check the bios chip pin 1 cs with the scope, you should see it being pulled low when it is read by the gpu and if so maybe there is a issue with the bios chip or a bad flash etc

The card may well be dead, but just because it's not detected doesn't make it unrepairable...
            Last edited by Bozog; 03-11-2022, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by foshland View Post
              Does the own card has a buzzer? first time to hear about that. Or do you mean the beeps of the motherboard?
              Motherboard buzzer.

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                One long and three short bleeps=it means video init failure. I'm afraid it's dead.

However, back in 2004, when I had my Asus A7V8X-X and tried a Radeon 9600 SE, before returning it, which the Radeon 9600 SE was new, but apparently needed to be warmed up before it will start up!

IIRC, back to Staples I went, to return it, to get something better, even when older, probably. (It was when I at least wanted a GeForce 4 Ti 4200) That bleep incident happened after I turned off the PC for the night and then it failed to initialize video, just because it was below a certain temp! I remember blowing warm air on that ATi Radeon 9600 SE, LOL

I now wonder if it will work after it gets warmed up. If it does, I then suspect a bad solder joint.
                Thanks i may try this

Comment

Originally posted by Bozog View Post
                  I would check the bios chip pin 1 cs with the scope, you should see it being pulled low when it is read by the gpu and if so maybe there is a issue with the bios chip or a bad flash etc

The card may well be dead, but just because it's not detected doesn't make it unrepairable...
                  Thanks will have a look next time I get a chance. Going to wait for a 1.8v adapter for my programmer and have a look at re-flashing. It uses a Winbond W25Q80EW 1.8V flash memory chip.

Will update the thread with results! Fingers crossed!

Comment

Thanks will have a look next time I get a chance. Going to wait for a 1.8v adapter for my programmer and have a look at re-flashing. It uses a Winbond W25Q80EW 1.8V flash memory chip.

Will update the thread with results! Fingers crossed!
                    I have used 3.3v programmer with no issues before i got the 1.8v adaptor (read and write), wouldn't risk it at 5v though

Comment

Just to update this thread for anyone who may be interested.

I reflowed the memory ICs and replaced the BIOS chip with a new flash. The card is now working!

Thanks to all for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                      X