Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reviving Samsung laptop battery (BQ20Z controller)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reviving Samsung laptop battery (BQ20Z controller)

Good day folks. I recently managed to score a Samsung NP300E5C laptop which was sold as defective, so I took the gamble and turns out all that was wrong with it was a broken power jack, so it was a snap to get it going again. 8Gb of RAM and a modest i5 CPU on it - worth saving.

Unfortunately the battery is totally dead, not that you'd expect otherwise for a laptop this old, so I wanted to mess around with it and see if I can replace some of its cells to at least allow me to move it from one room to the other without having to shut it down every time I have to pull the adapter.

I popped the battery open and found the 6 cells. Three sets in series. I applied 11v to the ends of the pack, limited to 1a from my power supply and charged them up for several hours. Measured the 3 sets of cells afterwards and sure enough they all read the same 3.7v, so the pack itself was fine...what gives ? Turns out the laptop refuses to run on battery if the battery itself tells it it's past its due, even though the cells are fine. How can it do that ? I did a bit of research and found that there's a little controller chip on that board there - the BQ20z in my case which I pictured there - which is responsible for this. Apparently it can be reprogrammed to reset the battery to factory conditions, so I did some digging and found this software BE2Works which supposedly does the job. It looked promising enough to give it a try, but then I realised I have no idea how to connect up to the battery...the official site, as well as some videos I found, show some sort of adapter that does this. Without it, the software just says "No adapter found" and doesn't even start so I can at least look at the GUI. The site lists some "official" hardware, the simplest of which seems to be that CP2112, which I managed to find fairly cheap on Ali, but I wonder if it can be done some other way. I already have a CH341 programmer which supports I2C, so I was hoping I could used that instead. Trouble is the software only likes playing with the hardware listed there, so I'm not sure it can be fooled to read from other devices.

I managed to identify the data and clock pins (SDA/SCL) on the battery connector, since they were thankfully labeled on the backside of the board there, but accessing them is going to be tough. Has anyone successfully done this hack before to make it remotely worth it ? Any ideas ? Cheers guys.
    Attached Files
    Wattevah...

Re: Reviving Samsung laptop battery (BQ20Z controller)

Try diy LPT interface.
    http://hk.1bu8.com/be2works/hardware.html

Comment

The commands to reset and re-initialize the EEPROM inside the battery pack are not publicly documented. As far as i know, author of the Be2works did an extensive reverse Engineering to find out the format of the EEPROM data and the proper commands to reset it. So he is not willing to gave his work for free and charges fairly a good amount for the app. His targeted customers are those who refurbish battery packs at a large scale. Buying it wont worth for a single use.

Comment

Originally posted by gabiz_ro View Post
        Good start. At least I can now see the interface, though I still got an error about some driver not installing properly, which I believe makes sense since my laptop doesn't do LPT anymore. Seems pretty straightforward. I wonder what the limitations of the demo version are. The circuit looks doable enough also.
        Wattevah...

Comment

is this really worth it when battery can be buy for 20euros?

Comment

Originally posted by Dannyx View Post
            I wonder what the limitations of the demo version are. The circuit looks doable enough also.
            My understanding is that the demo version only allows you to view some of the parameters, where the paid version you can write/reset parameters.

Comment

Originally posted by ktmmotocross View Post
              is this really worth it when battery can be buy for 20euros?
              Probably not, unless the software was free (though I believe I managed to find a cracked version) and it required no dedicated hardware that I'd have to buy. Not to mention I was lucky to have good cells in this case - if they were bad, that would make it even less worth the trouble since the cells themselves would cost more than a new battery off Ali...
              Wattevah...

Comment

Did you manage to revive it?

Comment

I made attempts about 15 years ago, when the batteries cost much more than now.
                  It's very expensive research, need to buy ev2300 or ev2400 hardware, after that there are a very large documentation about the smart battery protocol.
                  Not all battery chip are supported and in my opinion this research have a sense only for study purpose not for business.
                  The very expensive battery pack, sometime, have a dedicated cells not easy to find in the market at reasonable price.
                  A good logic analyzer in congiunction with hardware above can help to understand the protocol.

Comment

I have been repairing/recycling laptop packs for the last 6 months and here is what I know. If the fuse has blown on the board (they all have one) it means bms has went into shutdown mode. There is always a reason for this such as one cell getting too hot, too many charge cycles, over/under voltage ect.
                    18650 cells run from 3.7v to 4.2v fully charged
                    Yours probably has a 12A43 fuse that should have 0ohm side to side and about 8ohm top to bottom. Check this first.
                    If the pack can be charged to min voltage and laptop will charge it then you can keep voltage to the board and replace the bad/weak cells but if volts are removed from board when replacing cells then shutdown almost always occurs.
                    I have also boosted from positive of battery cells to positive output pin for a few seconds to wake a few up from sleep state.
                    I have also an Opus BT-C3100 charger that will charge,discharge with mah rating, resistance check ect. Alot of times it is just 2 cells bad that has caused shutdown.
                    To your question you must use CP2112 from Be2works or CJMCU CP2112 on ebay (I've been told)
                    You can read/write on the demo version but only a few chips otherwise full version is needed.
                    Is it worth it? Like already posted not really...
                    I can go on and on but hope this helps
                    Last edited by Jesse James; 07-28-2019, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Hello Danyx.
                      Please can you share the crack version of the software as I search for it for years now and could not find anywhere.
                      I have a lot of batteries to be fixed that are from my personal laptops and will be wonderful if I can finally fix them. I have the CP2112.

Comment

Originally posted by raileanu View Post
                        Hello Danyx.
                        Please can you share the crack version of the software as I search for it for years now and could not find anywhere.
                        I have a lot of batteries to be fixed that are from my personal laptops and will be wonderful if I can finally fix them. I have the CP2112.
                        The program only works with WINDOWS XP.....<LINK REMOVED: very likely to contain malware, VirusTotal report: https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/...9387/detection >
                        Last edited by piernov; 06-08-2021, 01:56 PM.

Comment

BE2WORKS works fine on windows 7 aswell.

Comment

Originally posted by RethoricalCheese View Post
                            BE2WORKS works fine on windows 7 aswell.
                            Тhe archive contains crack file, no virus, I use the program with adapter EV2400
                            Last edited by SMDFlea; 06-10-2021, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by pier12 View Post
                              Тhe archive contains crack file, no virus, I use the program with adapter EV2400
                              Don`t post any links to it again please. If members are interested in using this cracked software,and the potential risks that go with it, they can go and find it for themselves.

Last edited by SMDFlea; 06-10-2021, 02:30 AM.
                              All donations to badcaps are welcome, click on this link to donate. Thanks to all supporters

Comment

I try it myself on windows 7 and it doesn't open even with compatibility for Windows XP. How did you make it work?

Comment

If someone can send me a link to the software mentioned above I'd appreciate it. (in PM)

Comment

I used be2works in the past and I was not very happy with it. Their support is not good, actually, it does not exist.
                                    To unseal one chip you have to discharge the battery first. Their unsealing method is not very good. Also chips like BQ8030A Lenovo, BQ8050A Lenovo, BQ9000, latest generation BQ40xxx are not supported at all.

There are other tools that could do the job easier, faster with a good support.

Comment

Can someone please repost the link for the cracked version.

Comment

Originally posted by raileanu View Post
                                        Can someone please repost the link for the cracked version.
                                        Don't do nonsense to search for this crappy software, you'll unnecessarily complicate your life with this buggy program, the best on the market at the moment for working with batteries is NLBA1.
                                        I am extremely pleased with both the device itself and its functions, as well as the support from its manufacturer. If I have time, I will try to do a little review of the product later. There is already support for the BQ30Z55 controllers also. The software to the machine itself is also good enough to say the least. Very very good machine, I'm glad I bought it recently. Really good value for the money!
                                        Last edited by Vesko356; 06-01-2022, 11:56 AM.
                                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                        All donations to Badcaps are welcome.
                                        Become a Badcaps supporter
                                        >>>>> click on this link to donate <<<<<
                                        Thanks to all supporters.​
                                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                        Doctrina est fructus dulcis, radicis amarae.

Comment

Working...
                                        X