Ratdude's main rig V3, maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ratdude's main rig V3, maybe

I just bought a new 1GB Radeon HD 6570 for my HTPC. Really impressed. Will it SLI nope. But it's better to have a good single card rather than two crsppy SLI cards...
    Would recommend the 7770 or 7790 as well

Comment

No on the newer card... Maybe it's a peeve, but I don't like mix matching nvidia and AMD/ATI. As for thr 3 monitors, you could say the same about the HD4670 AGP (Same layout), it's Bullshit. To me, multiple monitors = mutiple idenical ports. In that case you either get 2 VGA (via DVI adapter) or two DVI (via HDMI adapter)...

Also No on an 8800GT (I know it was a reference GPU) ... I have an 8800GTS in the pile, it spent more time on the reflow tray than on the motherboard. Junk.

Reason I said the 9600 was it had all the 3d codec support i needed (I don't need DX11 for any games I play or the like) but runs cool enough to not need reflowed every 3 months. Since I have two PCIe x16 channels, I might as well maximise the bandwidth and use both.

Plus, if it's like AGP, just because you are using say PCIe 16x, doesn't mean that all of that speed will be used... so for an early PCIe 2.0 card like the 9600, I don't think the fact I'm (AFAIK) on PCIe 1.0 is gonna affect things much. If we were talking a new card, then yeah, it might, hence why I think performance wise 2 9600's is the way to go.

And power draw wise, the K8WE setup with two SLI'd 9600's is only maybe 40W difference, at the edge of what my PSU can do (recommended PS 620W, minimum 570W) but still within specs (granted, I was using a "quite shit" calculator). As for power bills, We're still under 700W, which is where I draw the "draws enough to care about" line.

Remind me not to ask these kind of questions down the road... since all I get is a bunch of "buy new" crap... I'll say it, it just doesn't feel right putting crap level new stuff on such a well built high end (in it's day) computer. Like having a restored muscle car and putting cheap tires on it... it will work, but you just don't do that. If this were a new build for somebody on a budget, it would make sense... however, that's not my hobby or goal here.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

It's really frustrating to see what goes in your head... it's so full of some misconceptions or assumptions...

On one hand, you say that since you have two pcie x16 you want to use both to maximize stuff, but when someone tells you that they're actually like x8 slots due to low bandwidth, it's suddenly no longer an issue.
        Then you go on about agp and not using all bandwidth and make it seem like bandwidth is not important, but then it's suddenly very important to use both pcie x16 again, for bandwidth and other reasons. It's ridiculous. Make up your mind.
        I can only determine that you don't really care about "optimum" usage of hardware, you just don't want to see slots unused, which is just dumb. If you had 4 pci express slots, you would probably have asked how to make quad sli with some similar boards.

Then you say

"I'll say it, it just doesn't feel right putting crap level new stuff on such a well built high end (in it's day) computer. Like having a restored muscle car and putting cheap tires on it"

What the f*$k so you think 9600gt was when it came out? Do you think it was top of the line of the video cards? G94 chip was a castrated G92, with half the amount of processing units, just like radeon 6670 is the same chip used in 6850 or more powerful cards but with processing units disabled.
        Seems like everything that's cheap these days is crap, everything that was expensive back then or is expensive now is premium to you... that's a ridiculous assumption. nVidia cards were always more expensive, always more lousy, with more problems everywhere except drivers (in linux)... doesn't make them better or more high end, it's still crap.

9600gt was never racing tires. To keep up with your analogy, it's like you buying rethreaded high end racing tires on your muscle car instead of buying new middle of the road racing tires, just because you want to see the brand name on the tires.
        It doesn't change the fact that the rethreaded tires have less performance than the new, more modern, better designed middle budget racing tires.
        If you don't have the money for high end racing tires, you shouldn't buy obsoleted rethreaded, unsafe tires just because of a logo on them or because they were good years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
          I don't like mix matching nvidia and AMD/ATI..
          Where did I say you should put an nVidia AND an AMD/ATI video card?

Comment

Is 24A on the 3.3V rail enough to power all of those high voltage RAM sticks?

Comment

I believe ati cards are out of the question for his rig, something about linux

in that case, he should consider a low GT 600 card. Like a GT 640 or so
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post

A few quick points:

-SN, you never suggested that. I meants using an AMD/ATI card on an Nvidia chipset.
                -It's not really a linux issue (well, it could be), it's rather a preference... To me, I'd rather run nvidia cards on nvidia chipsets (intel and old amd I can run either and still feel ok). IMHO it's less likely to have quirks that way (since Nvidia probably tweaked the chip design primarily using Nvidia cards)

-I don't know about the 3.3V, I have no idea

Now this post may take some analysis:

Originally posted by mariushm View Post
                It's really frustrating to see what goes in your head... it's so full of some misconceptions or assumptions...
                No, I have different goals and preferences.

On one hand, you say that since you have two pcie x16 you want to use both to maximize stuff, but when someone tells you that they're actually like x8 slots due to low bandwidth, it's suddenly no longer an issue.
                Then you go on about agp and not using all bandwidth and make it seem like bandwidth is not important, but then it's suddenly very important to use both pcie x16 again, for bandwidth and other reasons. It's ridiculous. Make up your mind.
                You misunderstood me.

1. PCIe 16x 1.1 is PCIe 16x 1.1 pretty much. It's not 8x (see below). In fact it's in the chip specs (see the article i quoted a few posts ago)

2. Regarding the "make up my mind". You're comparing apples to pairs of apples. Let me explain:

"I'm not going to use up the 16x"- that's for a single card.

"I have double the bandwidth with two cards": that's for two cards.

The general idea is that by running two cards via SLI I'm best using my available bandwidth.

As for the hypertransport link speeds (Somebody will bring it up, I know):

(from tyan's spec page on the K8WE)

"Three HyperTransport™ links support up to 8.0GB/s data transfer rate each link"

That's the speed that each link connects to the CPU with. Yeah, the RAM speed is slower, but that's why the GPUs have their own RAM in the first place.

Also, each PCIe 16x 1.1 slot can do 4.0GB/s. (250 MB/s x16).

That link is shared by some other stuff:

(also note that there appears to be 3 links per CPU, for a total of 6 links)

First, each slot is controlled by a separate link...

Second, the links may be shared, but it's mostly low load devices, the fastest being the SATA ports. However, the high load SATA drives are on a RAID card via the PCI-X controller, which on a separate link... So there you go, full PCIe speed to the cpu (minus any converter chip losses).

And by the way, weren't you the guy who told me not to use a newer card? Let me see:

The issue is how these pci express ports are implemented.
                On consumer hardware, the lanes to the video card pci express come from the cpu and the less important lanes are from the chipset...
                on these workstation boards each pci express goes to a chip which then talks to the cpu: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...2b07aca8a6.pdf

Modern video card drivers don't take this in consideration and they're "tuned" to assume direct connection to processors, so you can get into instability issues.
                If you say it's gonna cause problems, then don't suggest it!

I can only determine that you don't really care about "optimum" usage of hardware, you just don't want to see slots unused, which is just dumb. If you had 4 pci express slots, you would probably have asked how to make quad sli with some similar boards.
                If I had a Quad SLI board, I'd still double it (or look to down the road), not quad it. Why? PSU draw. Two is OK. 3/4, a little too much. Maybe double it eventually If I got a deal on two more cards.

Then you say

"I'll say it, it just doesn't feel right putting crap level new stuff on such a well built high end (in it's day) computer. Like having a restored muscle car and putting cheap tires on it"

What the f*$k so you think 9600gt was when it came out? Do you think it was top of the line of the video cards? G94 chip was a castrated G92, with half the amount of processing units, just like radeon 6670 is the same chip used in 6850 or more powerful cards but with processing units disabled.
                Seems like everything that's cheap these days is crap, everything that was expensive back then or is expensive now is premium to you... that's a ridiculous assumption. nVidia cards were always more expensive, always more lousy, with more problems everywhere except drivers (in linux)... doesn't make them better or more high end, it's still crap.

9600gt was never racing tires. To keep up with your analogy, it's like you buying rethreaded high end racing tires on your muscle car instead of buying new middle of the road racing tires, just because you want to see the brand name on the tires.
                It doesn't change the fact that the rethreaded tires have less performance than the new, more modern, better designed middle budget racing tires.
                If you don't have the money for high end racing tires, you shouldn't buy obsoleted rethreaded, unsafe tires just because of a logo on them or because they were good years ago.
                You've got it bass ackwards.

9600 was the low end of the high segment. The highest of the "single slot" cards. They ran cooler and as a result draw less power and last longer (less BGA stress) than the 9800 variants. They also cool better since there is an open slot between them (I wouldn't dare fill that unless I had to, and it would be a small card). You want cheap, that's the 9200 and lower 9400's... higher 9400's and 9500's are the mid grades, with 9600 being the transition to the high cards.

it's also a cut-off point, the next card up in that "segment" is the 260, which is a hot high-draw 2 slot card. The card below it, is a cheap looking 240, which has no SLI capability. 9600 is the best SLI capable single slot lower draw card.

And the tire analogy doesn't fit as well... not retreads, those would be reflow cards (like my dead 8800GTS, no thanks). Rather new quality tires that are on the street safe edge of racy that are of a vintage design... it's what the job calls for. After all, if you're running a restored car (or computer), you are supposed to use period (or near period) looking parts. It would be like putting a fart can on a corvette. It's just not right.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ratdude747; 05-31-2013, 10:15 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                  Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post

A few quick points:

-SN, you never suggested that. Somebody else did.
                  -It's not really a linux issue (well, it could be), it's rather a preference... To me, I'd rather run nvidia cards on nvidia chipsets (intel and old amd I can run either and still feel ok).

-I don't know about the 3.3V, I have no idea

Now this post may take some analysis:

No, I have different goals and preferences.

You misunderstood me.

1. PCIe 16x 1.1 is PCIe 16x 1.1 pretty much. It's not 8x (see below). In fact it's in the chip specs (see the article i quoted a few posts ago)

2. Regarding the "make up my mind". You're comparing apples to pairs of apples. Let me explain:

"I'm not going to use up the 16x"- that's for a single card.

"I have double the bandwidth with two cards": that's for two cards.

The general idea is that by running two cards via SLI I'm best using my available bandwidth.

As for the hypertransport link speeds (Somebody will bring it up, I know):

(from tyan's spec page on the K8WE)

"Three HyperTransport™ links support up to 8.0GB/s data transfer rate each link"

That's the speed that each link connects to the CPU with. Yeah, the RAM speed is slower (direct to CPU via internal controller, not hypertransport at all), but that's why the GPUs have their own RAM in the first place.

Also, each PCIe 16x 1.1 slot can do 4.0GB/s. (250 MB/s x16).

That link is shared by some other stuff:

(also note that there appears to be 3 links per CPU (one unused), for a total of 5 links).

First, each slot is controlled by a separate link and chip... One is on the main 2200 chip, the second is on an auxillary 2050 chip (2200 with redundant connections removed, otherwise the same chip)

Second, the links may be shared y other devices on the chips, but it's mostly low load devices, the fastest being the SATA ports. However, the high load SATA drives are on a RAID card via the PCI-X controller, which on a separate link/chip (AMD 5131, never had an issue with that one since I don't hot swap)... So there you go, full PCIe speed to the cpu's (minus any converter chip losses).

And by the way, weren't you the guy who told me not to use a newer card? Let me see:

The issue is how these pci express ports are implemented.
                  On consumer hardware, the lanes to the video card pci express come from the cpu and the less important lanes are from the chipset...
                  on these workstation boards each pci express goes to a chip which then talks to the cpu: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...2b07aca8a6.pdf

Modern video card drivers don't take this in consideration and they're "tuned" to assume direct connection to processors, so you can get into instability issues.
                  If you say it's gonna cause problems, then don't suggest it!

If I had a Quad SLI board, I'd still double it (or look to down the road), not quad it. Why? PSU draw. Two is OK. 3/4, a little too much. Maybe double it eventually If I got a deal on two more cards.

Then you say

You've got it bass ackwards.

9600 was the low end of the high segment. The highest of the "single slot" cards. They ran cooler and as a result draw less power and last longer (less BGA stress) than the 9800 variants. They also cool better since there is an open slot between them (I wouldn't dare fill that unless I had to, and it would be a small card). You want cheap, that's the 9200 and lower 9400's... higher 9400's and 9500's are the mid grades, with 9600 being the transition to the high cards.

it's also a cut-off point, the next card up in that "segment" is the 260, which is a hot high-draw 2 slot card. The card below it, is a cheap looking 240, which has no SLI capability. 9600 is the best SLI capable single slot lower draw card.

And the tire analogy doesn't fit as well... not retreads, those would be reflow cards (like my dead 8800GTS, no thanks). Rather new quality tires that are on the street safe edge of racy that are of a vintage design... it's what the job calls for. After all, if you're running a restored car (or computer), you are supposed to use period (or near period) looking parts. It would be like putting a fart can on a corvette. It's just not right.
                  Last edited by ratdude747; 05-31-2013, 10:24 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I just bought a new 1GB Radeon HD 6570 for my HTPC. Really impressed. Will it SLI nope. But it's better to have a good single card rather than two crsppy SLI cards...
                    "crispy" SLI cards? LOL.
                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Sounds just like the Radeon 9000 Pro back before 2004, which was pretty much a crippled 8500!

I was wondering if these type of tactics were why ATI got bought out?
                      Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 06-01-2013, 06:35 PM.
                      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Working...
                      X