Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: highest p3 clock speed?

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
    It was likely cancelled, because of TDP issues. It would make better sense on a desktop. If Intel could tweak the transistors and silicon enough to keep a lower wattage while raising the clock on the PI, then it could have been a perfect stop gap, especially for socket 7 boards.
    The Pentium I never died. It's more alive than you think. In fact, Intel have launched a parallel processing PCI-E card based on the old Pentium MMX (P54) core. It's got 61 (yes, sixty-one) of them, shrunk to 22nm and clocked at 1.2GHz each. And of course, it's got a beefy price tag as well.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...hi-detail.html
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 06-04-2014, 04:47 AM.
    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

that page is funny.
      we are talking about old pentiums and the picture under "performance" is an old cnc pendant running the lathe in the background.
      many of those old controls use pentium class cpu.
      showing antiques when marketing a new product?priceless!
      oh and the 70's called...they want their cheap headset radio back!
      Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
      The Pentium I never died. It's more alive than you think. In fact, Intel have launched a parallel processing PCI-E card based on the old Pentium MMX (P54) core. It's got 61 (yes, sixty-one) of them, shrunk to 22nm and clocked at 1.2GHz each. And of course, it's got a beefy price tag as well.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/...hi-detail.html

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
        The 3100-series Xeon Phi coprocessor card is fairly reasonably priced at ~$1700. It has fewer cores (57), smaller RAM and cache, and slower clock speed of around 1.1 GHz, but it's otherwise similar to the higher-end offerings, including the 64-bit instruction set (which seems to be a significant extension to the P54 ISA). It's way cheaper than putting a together a Linux cluster with the same performance.

It does have a fairly high TDP requirement (for a PCI-e card) of 300W, but that's in the same ballpark as some hot-running GPGPU cards.
        Last edited by linuxguru; 06-04-2014, 10:59 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by linuxguru View Post
          Classic VGA 640x480 8-bit mode used the indexed RAMDAC (palette) to provide 256 out of 65k (16-bit, 5:6:5) or 16M (24-bit, 8:8:8) colours. For years in the late '80s and early '90s, those were the only modes available for most 2D, CAD/CAM-type apps, and they worked fine.
          Classic VGA did not have a 640x480 8-bit mode. These old VGA cards had 256K RAM and this would exceed the amount of RAM available on the board, hence the 320x200, but yes it used indexing/color palettes. Anyone remember the pictures that can be displayed with the 256 color pseudocolor/indexed palette? It was the first time I've seen pseudo-photorealistic images on a PC of sorts instead of dithered color emulation.
          Anyway there is enough RAM at 640x480 for the 4-bit mode, hence Windows used it. Only SVGA and higher had 640x480 8-bit as they had 512KB RAM or more, and likely the initial SVGAs probably had pseudocolor/palette modes as straight 8-bit color (2:3:2) is not enough for photos.
          Originally posted by linuxguru View Post
          Heck, I've done PCB designs using Wintek SmartWork in the early '80s which used 4-colour 320x200 CGA displays, and it was possible. No fun, but possible. By comparison, 16-colour 640x350 EGA support from OrCad was heavenly.
          The 4-color 2-bit CGA mode was an abomination. Alas it was more colorful and square than the 640x200 B&W mode. But then again the Hercules MDA would be better than that...

Comment

61 cores hyper-threaded to 244?
            Jesus fucking Christ.

Seriously whom would need all that power in one machine?

All I can see is folding, bitcoin mining, Virtual servers host.

What else can you use it for?

Comment

Originally posted by Mad_Professor View Post
              61 cores hyper-threaded to 244?
              Jesus fucking Christ.

Seriously whom would need all that power in one machine?
              Probably 3D film studios (such as Pixar and WETA). A while back, I saw a short clip about the making of Avatar. IIRC, many of the scenese were very basic renders on a more or less "normal" desktop machine so that the producers could quickly see what was going on in the scene and not have to wait too much for all of the fine details to render. Then after everything was verified, the scenes were fully rendered by a supercomputer/render farms.

So I imagine such powerful machines could facilitate the making and/or rendering of scenes even faster and with greater detail.

Comment

Interesting epilog for the P4 saga:

Class-action settlement nets $15 for first-gen Pentium 4 buyers

Intel finally agrees to pay $15 to Pentium 4 (Willamette) owners over AMD Athlon benchmarking shenanigans

1. This class action arises from Intel Corporation's manipulation of performance scores in
                connection with the release of its first-generation Pentium 4 processor (codenamed Willamette).
                Unless otherwise noted, all references to the “Pentium 4” within this complaint refer only to the firstgeneration
                (Willamette) processor and not to subsequent generations of the Pentium 4 (e.g.,
                Northwood, Prescott, Cedar Mill).

2. Intel had spent years developing the Pentium 4, but found that because of pervasive
                design flaws, its performance scores were “dismal.” The Pentium 4 scored so poorly that Intel deemed
                it “not competitive” with the company's existing Pentium III processor, much less Advanced Micro
                Devices' (AMD's) recently-released Athlon processor, which Intel viewed as the “greatest competitive
                threat in our history.”

3. Intel used its enormous resources and influence in the computing industry to, in Intel's
                own words, “falsely improve” the Pentium 4's performance scores. It secretly wrote benchmark tests
                that would give the Pentium 4 higher scores, then released and marketed these “new” benchmarks to
                performance reviewers as “independent third-party” benchmarks. It paid software companies to make
                covert programming changes to inflate the Pentium 4's performance scores and even disabled features
                on the Pentium III so that the Pentium 4's scores would look better by comparison.

4. Intel knew that these practices “would be considered dishonest by consumers,” but
                figured that “[i]f we do it right the only thing customers will see is that P4's run faster than P3's,
                hopefully shifting the marketplace to P4's.” Intel succeeded in its plan, and as a result was able to
                charge an inflated price for the Pentium 4—higher than both the Pentium III and the Athlon processor ...

Comment

^
                  $15? No really, only fifteen clams?! Imagine all of the folks who actually paid big bucks back in those days to get those "nex-gen fast" CPUs.
                  I don't like to bad-mouth, but I've got to say that Intel has always seemed like the big "evil corporation" for me in a way. Not that that would stop me from buying anything from them... but I do have my doubts about their practices sometimes. AMD has always seemed more friendly to the average Joe "on-a-budget" buyer.

Comment

I have a few motherboards that support Tualatin CPUs, which would be the best for my Pentium III 1.4-S and maybe overclock it ?
                    - Gigabyte GA-6OF (NEC motherboard) : intel i815EP
                    - Gigabyte GA-6VTXE (VIA Apollo Pro 133T)
                    - Shuttle AV18 (VIA Apollo Pro 133T)

It is currently running in the NEC PowerMate ML-1 with the original Gigabyte GA-6OF. It's my "Voodoo machine", paired with a Voodoo 5 5500 AGP and 2x256Mb of PC133, and an M-Audio soundcard. I've installed WinMe (yeah yeah) and it's works really well, rock stable, even on the internet with Opera 10.51. I can play Youtube videos up to 480p with no issues.
                    But the main problem is the 512Mb limit of the i815EP chipset, and the OEM bios which doesn't offer many possibilities.

From the jumper setting alone, the Gigabyte GA-6VTXE seems to be the most interesting, there are several switches for FSB settings and clock multiplier (can go up to 12x150Mhz), but the VRMs look very limited with only two 15N03L and there are empty spots where capacitors could be.

The Shuttle motherboard only offers settings for the FSB from 66Mhz to 133Mhz or "Auto". I haven't checked in the BIOS yet.

For overclocking, should I put an heatsink on the chipset (both VIA boards have no heastink here).
                    I have a LOT of socket A and 370 heatsinks that should dissipate the heat of an overclocked Pentium III with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                      ^
                      $15? No really, only fifteen clams?! Imagine all of the folks who actually paid big bucks back in those days to get those "nex-gen fast" CPUs.
                      I don't like to bad-mouth, but I've got to say that Intel has always seemed like the big "evil corporation" for me in a way. Not that that would stop me from buying anything from them... but I do have my doubts about their practices sometimes. AMD has always seemed more friendly to the average Joe "on-a-budget" buyer.
                      AMD has had a few BS moments too. I still am sorta pissed at them for not making ANY x64 drivers (for ANY OS) for thier 8151 AGP to Hypertransport chip... which was for First Generation Opteron Workstation (read: graphics heavy) boards. Yeah, sure, it's a 64 bit CPU... but if you can't run any 64 Bit OS and have anything beyond "default VGA" video performance, then it's not really a 64 Bit CPU in practice (at least for workstations, servers not so much). Makes the Atari Jaguar look "truly" 64 bit .
                      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

AMD might be friendly but they make a crappy product. I'd rather support a big evil corporation that has proven time and time again that their products are faster, more reliable, and more efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                          AMD might be friendly but they make a crappy product.
                          You're wrong. Yes, their CPU cores are weaker than Intel's. But for the casual gamer, their APUs are a godsend. I'll be soon buying one myself.

Besides, there is a reason why AMD got to design and build the processors for both the Xbox One and the PS4. That is price/performance ratio. Which is something AMD has always been good at.
                          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                            AMD might be friendly but they make a crappy product. I'd rather support a big evil corporation that has proven time and time again that their products are faster, more reliable, and more efficient.
                            I've always been more than satisfied with my AMD CPUs, and more recently my AMD GPUs. My Phenom II X4 is still really good after all these years, and it was not even the top end CPU when I bought it. Heck I've only just recently replaced my father's computer that ran for over ten years every day with an Athlon XP CPU. The problem was the crap Ost caps that likely damaged the voltage regulation and made any CPU unable to go over 1.5Ghz. Other than that it would still be running.

Yes AMD has been a little behind since the Core architecture replaced the horrible NetBurst, but there's nothing crappy about them, they're priced accordingly.
                            They are lagging with laptop CPUs, well they have been since the Pentium M, but I'm not sure how they're doing today.

I'll stick with AMD unless I have the opportunity to spend a little more on computer parts. But for my needs, my Phenom II is still sufficient.

I'm no fan boy of any brand.

Comment

I'm making some tests with the Gigabyte GA-6VTXE, the other two don't have any adjustement possible. I had to replace most caps, it was populated with Choyo and Hermei crap.
                              So far here's what I got with stock voltages and CL2 Micron PC133, just by moving the switches on the board itself :
                              - Celeron 1200 : 1.48Ghz (124Mhz x12)
                              - Celeron 1300 : 1.45Ghz (112Mhz x13)
                              - Pentium III 1133 : 1.27Ghz (150Mhz x8.5)

With pinmod to get 1.625V :
                              - Celeron 1200 : 1.6Ghz (133Mhz x12) - 40°C in the BIOS
                              - Celeron 1300 : 1.61Ghz (124Mhz x13)
                              - Pentium III 1133 : 1.27Mhz (150Mhz x8.5) - seems like it's stuck by the locked multiplier
                              Last edited by SuperDuty; 11-09-2014, 04:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                                Fastest P3 I know of.
                                What. The. What.
                                Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
                                RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
                                Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
                                - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
                                - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
                                - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
                                - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

yea. thats not just not bad. it is godly! that 2.45 ghz p3-s should be like as fast as or even faster than a 4ghz p4 northwood. oh god! even my c2d e8600 3.33ghz is quaking in its boots!

Comment

my personal best 1.58GHz

Tualatin S 1.4 512
                                    ASUS TUV4X modified
                                    151MHz FSB
                                    6 ns TONICOM at 2,2,2,6
                                    Thermalright SLK-900a with the 92mm Vantec Tornado mounted

this was all just a couple years ago, tons of fun

Comment

Working...
                                    X