Digikey sold me caps that are over 4 years old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digikey sold me caps that are over 4 years old

2014...thats pushing it for new prices isn't it?

And these 2700uf test pretty high...usually new caps test below a bit, old ones test high.

I dunno, seems a bit odd to me. Am I just being picky?
    Attached Files

Re: Digikey sold me caps that are over 4 years old

These 450V caps I paid over $60 bucks for these...2014 too.

Attached Files

Comment

I got cap from DigiKey before
      I did not have any problem with them

I have used these types of capacitor in servo controller power supply with out any problem

This is my two cents worth
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

They aren't produce or meats from a grocery store....they'll be fine.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

The capacitance is higher because the oxide layer is thinner. Once you put them in use they will reform and be fine.
          Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

I'm not defending digikey, but 2700uF 25V may not be a "popular" value so the turnover for these caps might not be very high? Say compared to 1000uF 16V.
            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

2902uF is only +8% way within spec. for 2700uF rated cap which has tolerance of +/-20%.
              PW series cap: https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...f05f5c7af5.pdf
              Last edited by budm; 09-26-2018, 10:52 AM.
              Never stop learning
              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Read the section "shelf life" in the above PDF.
                If you want to threat them nicely you can read this:
                https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50530

Me? I'd just put them in circuit and be done with it
                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

1.) PW series does not use the water-based electrolyte that has caused a shelf-life issue with some vendors and series. And AFAIK, water-based electrolytes have not been used for high voltage electrolytics.

2.) As "retiredcaps" said, 2700uF is not a popular value like 2200uF or 3300uF.

3.) As budm said, ~2800uF is well within spec. Cheap crap caps tend to be toward the low end of their spec, if not fraudulently low.

All in all, I would not think twice about using those parts.
                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

The reason I buy caps at digikey and not aliexpress or ebay is because they are supposed to be fresh stock.

It bothers me to see 2014 on a cap I paid $8 a piece for.
                    The 25v caps...I can live with but the 450v ones it doesn't sit well with me.
                    I bought 5000 hour caps so I can enjoy the long life, not digikey's parts shelf.

Blowing up a $4000 amplifier would really piss me off.

/rant
                    Attached Files

Comment

4 Grand? What band is it exaclty?
                      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

a modern re-make of something old??

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                          4 Grand? What band is it exaclty?
                          160m-6m, its an acom 1000

The other thing about these old caps is nichicon gives them a 2 year shelf life.
                          https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...64fb172f94.pdf

Then I'm supposed to apply 450v though a 1k resistor for 1 hour (x's 8 caps) and then bleed them with a 1 ohm

Connect a 1kΩ resistor in series with the subject capacitor, and apply the DC voltage as high as the Rated Voltage for 1 hour.
                          Discharge the capacitor through a resistor of about 1Ω/Volt after the electrification
                          Seriously? Pay $61 plus shipping then spend a week reforming them, buying a 450v power supply to boot?
                          Like I got all the time and money in the world to do that on my kitchen table right?

I just want to unsolder the old ones and replace them with new caps...this is ridiculous I'm sorry.

*I just called digikey and they said they would replace them with some rubycons of the same values.
                          They said the rubycons were delivered (to them) in August 2018.
                          That sounds ok.
                          This sure is alot of stress though and it sounds like they want me to pay to ship these back.

I spent alot of time (hours) going through data sheets, figuring out lead spacing and heights to reach the decision to buy the nichicons.
                          wasted hours of my life with this and now wasting more.
                          Last edited by Cartel; 09-27-2018, 05:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cartel View Post
                            160m-6m, its an acom 1000

The other thing about these old caps is nichicon gives them a 2 year shelf life.
                            https://cdn.badcaps-static.com/pdfs/...64fb172f94.pdf

Then I'm supposed to apply 450v though a 1k resistor for 1 hour (x's 8 caps) and then bleed them with a 1 ohm

Seriously? Pay $61 plus shipping then spend a week reforming them, buying a 450v power supply to boot?
                            Like I got all the time and money in the world to do that on my kitchen table right?

I just want to unsolder the old ones and replace them with new caps...this is ridiculous I'm sorry.

*I just called digikey and they said they would replace them with some rubycons of the same values.
                            They said the rubycons were delivered (to them) in August 2018.
                            That sounds ok.
                            This sure is alot of stress though and it sounds like they want me to pay to ship these back.

I spent alot of time (hours) going through data sheets, figuring out lead spacing and heights to reach the decision to buy the nichicons.
                            wasted hours of my life with this and now wasting more.

Ah, wideband. No wonder....

usually i would say put them in a let the reform on their own, but seeing as how wideband amps are easy to drive into oscillation, i don't blame you for being weary....

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

"They said the rubycons were delivered (to them) in August 2018." but do they they date code for those rubycons?
                              Never stop learning
                              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

They refunded me for the 450v and the 25v that were 2014 and said to toss them.
                                I'm happy for that and will continue to use digikey.

Comment

I bet you are, way to scam them., I'm sure they were perfectly fine, it's not bread or milk. Meanwhile our prices go up because of this..

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                                    I bet you are, way to scam them., I'm sure they were perfectly fine, it's not bread or milk. Meanwhile our prices go up because of this..
                                    I didn't ask for a refund, I was going to send them back and buy Rubycons.
                                    They just did it and refunded the 2700uf 25v caps on their own, I didn't even mention those to them.

Comment

So far all the feedback I hear regarding Digikey resolving their mistakes has been positive. That is, they don't question the customer and quickly resolve the problem by shipping out the correct or missing parts within 24 to 48 hours at no additional cost to the customer.

Same for Mouser.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

i would be much more concerned about the bleeder resistors in that acom rather than a few years old caps.
                                        they drift due to heat.
                                        and when one opens you start hearing snapping as the cap it is across breaks down internally.
                                        i always replace all of them in any hf amp i service.
                                        failure of 1 resistor sets the whole chain of failure rolling.

Comment

Working...
                                        X