Ratdude's main rig V3, maybe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ratdude's main rig V3, maybe

While I was on spring break I met up with Junk Parts... and he gave me a Tyan S2885 mobo plus 2 2.4ghz Opterons and coolers. The good news is that it is more powerful than my current maxed out Supermicro X5DAL-TG2 rig (and if not, it has the potential). The bad news is that it's EATX.

The first small hurdle is that unbeknownst to JP, 3 of the 22 KZG caps on the board went bad while the board sat collecting dust! (and you though Sacon FZ was bad...) I already ordered caps... so for the rest of this post let's assume the board is recapped and working.

If I were to build this into main rig V3, the following parts would be moved over from main rig V2:

-GPU (it's the most badass AGP card I've ever owned)
    -HDDs and 3ware card (plus the 4th spare hdd pending case space)

I may also move the following over

-RAM (unless I find 8 or 16GB in 333/400)
    -PSU (unless I find a better fit or more powerful unit, or the case comes with something usable)
    -Opticals (pending case color, I have a white bezel for the lightscribe drive I could use)

Anything pulled from V2 would have some functional replacement added, as V2 took so much work to make run and I'd like to see that it gets used elsewhere; it's too good to waste.

In order to make it run, I for sure would need to buy:

-EATX case with enough space
    -I/O Shield (JP didn't have it, he wasn't sure if Topcat ever sent it or even had it in the first place)
    -Front I/O adapter

Possible upgrades:
    -CPUs (a pair of x2's would be nice)
    -RAM (already mentioned)
    -TV Tuner (if I could get one of the few QAM capable PCI cards)

The worst part seems to be the EATX case... ebay was pretty much useless... at newegg, the best deal I could find w as this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811152168

That would work... but $140 is a tad hard to swallow. Yeah, it includes PSU, but'ts only a 500W 80+ bronze... Going with that, I'd move over the lightscribe drive from the V2 unit and add this to 5.25" bay 2:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820132021

I don't like the e-sata (since my board has no e-sata), but the fact the the 3 USB ports + card reader has a hub built in is a huge plus (since the board only has one front USB header). Another plus is AC 97 support, which is needed for this board.

I'd personally rather find a used server/workstation case and add an I/O adapter to that; however, it seems that ebay has nothing nor does anybody I know personally. Heck, I'd be willing to pay a decent chunk of change for a decent used case...

Anybody have suggestions or comments?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: Ratdude's main rig V3, maybe

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
    -I/O Shield (JP didn't have it, he wasn't sure if Topcat ever sent it or even had it in the first place)
    All those boards had the IO shield, I had 8 of them at one time. I think 'ol JP just lost it in the shuffle, as the IO shield was included when I sent it. Those boards require reg/ECC memory. Anything less will not work!!

I do like that case though!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
      All those boards had the IO shield, I had 8 of them at one time. I think 'ol JP just lost it in the shuffle, as the IO shield was included when I sent it.
      I see. Unless it turns up I'll ebay it.

Those boards require reg/ECC memory. Anything less will not work!!
      That's what I have 8gb of... and another 2gb of as well. If I could find some 8gb PC3200 4 stick sets for under $50 a set, I'd put 8 or 16gb in it. My PC2100 set cost $26, so maybe the faster sets aren't that much more.

I do like that case though!
      I don't like the price but it may be my only cloice... I also saw some gamer full towers with EATX support but they were $300 a pop and had too many front I/O ports. Not to mention looked too gamer like for my tastes.

edit- the case already has 2 USB ports... so nix the front card reader since the board AFAIK only has one USB header. That blows...
      sigpic

Comment

Scored 16gb RAM while looking for a an older server to steal a case from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Server-RAM-K...item460e133703

I bought two lots... So V2 will keep the 8gb DDR... and there is more where that came from so if anybody has a board that can run it, swipe it while you can. For $25 per 8gb, you can't go wrong!
        sigpic

Comment

Same board I got from same source. Note: good luck getting SATA to work. Mine is in a box in the closet... have yet to build it in something. Considering a custom case for it!

Comment

More possible cases:

http://www.hypermicro.com/ProductDes...-SERVER&key=it

http://www.hypermicro.com/ProductDes...S-KHDHS&key=it

Both have EATX space... but only 2 5.25" bays and no 3.5" bays, so if I ever need a floppy it will be a USB one. They do however have more space for fans.

They're cheaper than the supermicro but they also are older and possibly more proprietary...

Suggestions on either option?

edit- Not using the onboard SATA, since I have a 3ware card. It has the same SATA chip as the V2's Supermicor X5dal0tg2; they are not optical drive friendly (not bootable, that is).
            sigpic

Comment

I see. Unless it turns up I'll ebay it.
              It won't turn up here, I sent it with the board, and I have none of these boards or any of their accessories remaining.

I don't like the price but it may be my only cloice...
              $140 bucks for a high-end case WITH a PSU is too expensive?! That is pretty cheap actually! I've paid over a grand for cases, without PSUs.... Live a little!!

If you're whining about a 140-dollar case, I'm sure you would have a conniption over this one....but I'm gonna throw it out there anyway!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...irtualParent=1

I've got 2 of these. Best cases I've ever had in my 20 years of computing experience!
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

It won't turn up here, I sent it with the board, and I have none of these boards or any of their accessories remaining.
                I meant if JP came across it by random luck. I know you don't have any more.

$140 bucks for a high-end case WITH a PSU is too expensive?! That is pretty cheap actually! I've paid over a grand for cases, without PSUs.... Live a little!!
                I'm just trying to get the most bang per buck. I may go ahead and order the case if the recap is successful as the hypermicro cases have too much mystery behind them (none of the pictures show what I want to see and they have no way to ask for them).

If you're whining about a 140-dollar case, I'm sure you would have a conniption over this one....but I'm gonna throw it out there anyway!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...irtualParent=1

I've got 2 of these. Best cases I've ever had in my 20 years of computing experience!
                If I was building a rig using newer parts, I would too. However, in this case, the cost for such ain't justified.
                sigpic

Comment

If I was building a rig using newer parts, I would too. However, in this case, the cost for such ain't justified.
                  That depends on how you look at it. That case would house any hardware you put in it until they do away with the ATX form factor....which means that case will last you for the remainder of your PC building days....you'd never have to buy another one.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Those Lite-on built supermicro power supplies are really solid units. They aren't the most efficient, though, and also add greatly to the cost.

But as that board does not have a SLI capable chipset or even PCI-E, I would not worry about power consumption and use what you have now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-AMD...item565457a58b

$15 for a pair of 285's is a pretty good deal which are the fastest supported according to this (http://www.tyan.com/archive/support/...n_opteron.html) site.

Comment

Bad News:

The mobo didn't survive the recap. It appears CPU socket #1 is toast... insert a cpu/cooler into the socket, and it won't post. Remove it, and it will. I've checked everything and all... I must have nailed a trace or something... My last AMD dualie board also failed a recap in the exact same way.

I guess I flushed $50 down the tube on RAM I no longer have a use for... Anybody need some 2gb PC3200 ECC DDR sticks or have a board to use them in?
                      sigpic

Comment

silly question, but did you make sure the CPU was good?
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

silly question, but did you make sure the CPU was good?
                          Sure did. Both CPU's work in Socket 0.

Me and AMD dualie boards don't mix?
                          sigpic

Comment

After looking around ebay and the like, I've come to the conclusion that unless I can somehow make the motherboard run again, I'm better off to sell the RAM I ordered... I really screwed the pooch on this one.

Any other ideas? Anything?
                            sigpic

Comment

what PSU are you powering this thing with? Do you have all the right connectors with no empty slots? If you're using a 4-pin plug in the 8 pin socket, it won't work. Same with a 20 pin plug in the 24 pin connector. One socket being dead is just odd.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

what PSU are you powering this thing with? Do you have all the right connectors with no empty slots? If you're using a 4-pin plug in the 8 pin socket, it won't work. Same with a 20 pin plug in the 24 pin connector. One socket being dead is just odd.
                                I was using the 24 +8 PSU out of V2, a cooler master silentpro 600W.

I suppose I could try yanking the PSU out my dad's rig (an acbel 550W), as that's the only other PSU I currently have in running condition that has the required ports and supply ability.
                                sigpic

Comment

How bad do you want one of these?

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                                    How bad do you want one of these?
                                    Why, do you not want yours? If so, skype or PM me an offer.
                                    sigpic

Comment

From what I am seeing tyan did make all rubycon revisions of this board...Too bad the example on ebay is $80 w/o shield...
                                      sigpic

Comment

Bad News:

The mobo didn't survive the recap. It appears CPU socket #1 is toast... insert a cpu/cooler into the socket, and it won't post. Remove it, and it will. I've checked everything and all... I must have nailed a trace or something... My last AMD dualie board also failed a recap in the exact same way.

I guess I flushed $50 down the tube on RAM I no longer have a use for... Anybody need some 2gb PC3200 ECC DDR sticks or have a board to use them in?
                                        Did you check to make sure that there are no solder bridges on other parts from loose solder splashing around?

Btw, is there just one VRM for both cpus?
                                        Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                                        X