X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: more win10 stuff

Originally posted by stj View Post
    give the wife firefox.
    once she gets used to it, switch the o.s. but keep using firefox.
    not that i'm much of a fan of firefox -it's very dumbed-down compared to the options in opera.
    The new Opera is Chrome with Opera badges slapped on it.
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

i know, i should have been more specific.
      the original real opera.
      opera-12.16-1860 was the last afaik.

Comment

Um, I'm not impressed. At all. I think the best part was waiting for it. It was all downhill from there. I went from being all happy and excited straight to "WTF is this $hit?" I hated Windows 8/8.1. I was among the group that suffered constant WiFi issues, so my laptops have remained chained by Ethernet for the past 8 months. Still, there were a few things I did like about it. Off the top of my head, I can't recall what they were, but I'm certain there was something I'd liked.
        ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

i know, i should have been more specific.
          the original real opera.
          opera-12.16-1860 was the last afaik.
          12x rox!!!!!
          ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

this shit just gets better by the hour:
            win10 uses P2P distribution to spread all the updates.
            http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-use...s-d-1721091469

that means your hosting updates for everybody else - i hope you have an unlimited data plan!!!!

Comment

Smart idea on their part though, using P2P for updates, to increase speed and lower costs.
              "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
              -David VanHorn

Comment

maybe, but a lot of laptop users use 3G datacards or tether the computer to a smartphone - they have to pay by the Gb on the phonebill!

Comment

maybe, but a lot of laptop users use 3G datacards or tether the computer to a smartphone - they have to pay by the Gb on the phonebill!
                  Oh sure, for some users it's a terrible idea.
                  Wouldn't be good for me either since my internet is capped - but for Microsoft it's great.
                  It's interesting to see them using something that has been hated by corporations due to piracy associations for so long too, they finally realised it's actually a good technology?
                  Last edited by Agent24; 07-30-2015, 06:40 PM.
                  "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                  -David VanHorn

Comment

ms has always been pirates using other peoples ideas and products.
                    if you know the company history, you will know it is littered with lawsuits and buyouts.
                    mostly in that order btw!

Comment

Hmm, I haven't done any research on how they are doing it, but it will only be a matter of time before someone will use the TCP/IP port that is listening and/or sending for malware/trojan/bot/DoS purposes.

The mere thought that others can go into my machine whenever they want to get "updates" without my consent, since it is on by default, gives me no sense of security. And NO, I don't use any p2p sharing programs at all.

Lubuntu installs an application called Transmission by default, but I only use it as a last resort. I prefer to get my linux ISOs direct from the source via http and not open up my computer TCP/IP port to sharing. Regardless how I download, I always verify the hash sums.

PS. My ISP also has monthly caps as well.
                      Last edited by retiredcaps; 07-31-2015, 01:20 AM.
                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

this shit just gets better by the hour:
                        http://lifehacker.com/windows-10-use...s-d-1721091469

that means your hosting updates for everybody else - i hope you have an unlimited data plan!!!!
                        The FUD is strong in this thread, may the force be with you!

It's actually a really smart feature that with a single mouse click you can restrict to your local LAN.
                        Thereby if you have multiple PC's only one will download the updates from the Internet, thus saving you data on your precious metered connection.

Attached Files
                        "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Not a bad idea since you can restrict it to your own network, which I just did. It has the potential to save people from downloading the same thing multiple times, which is really good if you are paying by the Gb. The bad part is that it's set to internet by default and many people are not going to be aware of it until it's cost them money.
                          ------------signature starts here------------

Comment

Here's the icing on the cake!
                            Solitaire in Windows 10 introduces a host of new features, including fullscreen video ads that cost US$10 a year to remove.
                            http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/news/g55...to-remove-ads/

WTF?
                            -David VanHorn

Comment

nice find - i didnt see that one yet - just like the xbox dashboard, but with a bloodmoney option!

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                The FUD is strong in this thread, may the force be with you!
                                it's not FUD because all these dodgy options to throw your privacy away, throw your corporate secrets away, throw your security away, and now throw your bandwidth away, are all ON BY DEFAULT.

and you know damned well most win users never read the smallprint.
                                hell, if they did they probably would install Linux instead.

and what about pre-install's from box-shifters like HP, DELL etc.
                                you think those will be OFF by default? get real.

i almost feel sorry for upcoming tablet owners with hot wifi boards and lithium battery's that dont seem to hold up as long as promised - almost that is.

Comment

lol - so much for that.
                                  http://www.onlinesocialmedia.net/201...n-server-woes/

Comment

it's not FUD because all these dodgy options to throw your privacy away, throw your corporate secrets away, throw your security away, and now throw your bandwidth away, are all ON BY DEFAULT.

and you know damned well most win users never read the smallprint.
                                    hell, if they did they probably would install Linux instead.
                                    Yes, but it was the same in Windows XP and Vista and 7 as well, lots of options needed to be disabled in the registry or secpol.msc, perhaps you forgot?
                                    I was just commenting on the fact that there are sometimes positives sides as well, as in the case with Windows update being able to fetch updates from other computers in your local LAN.
                                    It's like having your own little unmanaged WSUS server.
                                    Indeed my firewall IPCOP has addons with options so the proxy server will save Windows updates indefinitely for older Windows versions, I think it's really useful...
                                    "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

I am happy with w10 for now i only upgraded / downgraded my main os for now planing on a clean install.
                                      getting the upgrade to run was interesting language had to be set to us.
                                      My pc
                                      CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                                      MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                                      RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                                      PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                                      GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

I got my Win10 upgrade notice, but I'm not sure I really want to anymore, LOL!

Comment

not this notice i hope!
                                          http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07...ad_ransomware/

Comment

Working...
                                          X