Is this PSU capacitor bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this PSU capacitor bad?

My PC was failing to stay powered on and seemed to have to 'warm up' before it could be adequately used. Frequently it would just power itself off again mid-way through the POST.
    Opened up the computer, nothing obviously wrong with the motherboard or connections. Then I popped the lid on the PSU and saw... THIS.

My question is, is this capacitor leaking gunk, or is it just something they put on in the factory to minimise vibrations (as I've seen on other PSUs)? You'd think that if it was the latter, there would be similar stuff on the other input capacitor...
    Certainly no signs of bulging on either of them!
    Attached Files
    You know there's something wrong when you open your PC and it has vented Rubycons...

Re: Is this PSU capacitor bad?

i'm pretty sure the cap is busted and leaking. and its a junk fhy cap to boot. time to bust out the soldering iron.

Comment

that's 100% guilty.
      but because of how they work, replace them as a matching pair.
      dont just replace 1.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        that's 100% guilty.
        but because of how they work, replace them as a matching pair.
        dont just replace 1.
        ^This

The 4-diodes in place of bridge rectifier and thin heat sinks don't exactly give me much confidence in general. Since bulk caps (at least good ones) generally aren't cheap (and if those failed I wouldn't expect the ones on the secondary side to be much better), depending on the quality of the PSU (can only see so much from that one pic, but what I see isn't good) you may be better off just replacing the whole PSU with a better unit.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
          ^This

The 4-diodes in place of bridge rectifier and thin heat sinks don't exactly give me much confidence in general. Since bulk caps (at least good ones) generally aren't cheap (and if those failed I wouldn't expect the ones on the secondary side to be much better), depending on the quality of the PSU (can only see so much from that one pic, but what I see isn't good) you may be better off just replacing the whole PSU with a better unit.
          +1

Don't bother repairing it. You can get yourself a nice budget EVGA unit for $40 or so.
          Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
          RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
          Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
          - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
          - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
          - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
          - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X