Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP: I accidentally broke a capacitor off of my motherboard...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP: I accidentally broke a capacitor off of my motherboard...

I can't believe of all things, I would do something like this.
    Anyway, the top of the cap says "M63x 470 6.3v".
    I assume this is 470uf, but I don't know. Also I have no idea where to look to buy a replacement. Thanks.

Motherboard is: MSI Z170A Gaming M7

Re: HELP: I accidentally broke a capacitor off of my motherboard...

got a picture?

Comment

Yeah here it is: https://imgur.com/HDROftc

Comment

solid polymer electrolytic.
        with a terrible custom paint job!

Comment

So the type of the cap is a "solid polymer electrolytic". Was I right about it being 470uf?
          Last edited by HyperFirez; 12-19-2020, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Yea 470uF 6.3v
            "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Is there anything other spec that I should know regarding it or will any cap that is 470uf and 6.3v work?

Comment

watch the lead pitch and can diameter if you want the new one to fit on the board!

Comment

So I actually picked up one from my neighbor across the street. He works on car motherboards. Only problem is I tired to desolder the broken legs on the board today and my iron is trash so I couldn't do it. I got in contact with MSI, so I am hoping to get them to repair it. Not sure if they will though as it is a discontinued item, but the S/N seems to be in their database still so that is a good sign I guess. Thanks for the help anyways. At least I got to learn about capacitors :p

Comment

You would be better off just bringing it to a local electronics repair shop. Maybe even one of those mobile phone repair shops, especially if you bring the replacement cap with you.

Comment

Originally posted by HyperFirez View Post
                      So I actually picked up one from my neighbor across the street. He works on car motherboards. Only problem is I tired to desolder the broken legs on the board today and my iron is trash so I couldn't do it. I got in contact with MSI, so I am hoping to get them to repair it. Not sure if they will though as it is a discontinued item, but the S/N seems to be in their database still so that is a good sign I guess. Thanks for the help anyways. At least I got to learn about capacitors :p
                      the easy dirty solution here is to solder a LEADED cap on there - kind of on the surface and make sure its on there pretty solid. its not pretty but it will work and provide years of service. likely will last as long as you use that mobo. use 60/40 lead solder too that will make life easy. the mobo likely uses lead free which is harder to work with. flow a little lead solder and your life will be happy. Of course if your neighbor FIXES mobo it will be a easy fix for him!

Comment

oh and by the way. loosing ONE cap off the mobo will prob not make any difference. there is a HIGH probability that it will boot fine without it.

Comment

not true. it depends on where the cap is and what its function does. if its the sole filter cap in a buck regulator, powering it up without the cap will fry the buck regulator because there isnt anywhere for the excess energy to go. this will either make a crater on the board and render the board useless or if u're lucky just a popped mosfet or regulator.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                            not true. it depends on where the cap is and what its function does. if its the sole filter cap in a buck regulator, powering it up without the cap will fry the buck regulator because there isnt anywhere for the excess energy to go. this will either make a crater on the board and render the board useless or if u're lucky just a popped mosfet or regulator.
                            I stand corrected. Valid point there Chaos!

Comment

Working...
                            X