I'm getting windows 10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I'm getting windows 10

Yeah, I have had to deal with quite a few issues with Windows 10 at the workplace. (IT Systems Manger/Network Admin). What never ceases to amaze me is just how little shits were given about those of use using referb/spinning disk machines. It runs well on SSD, but there are too many issues to count on the machines with spinning disks. (There aren't many of those left.) If your machine basically has 100% disk usage and seems to be hardly using the disk, that would most likely be why. lol

I do have to say that my experience with Windows 10 has been pretty mixed. It seems to work really well and just sort of "stay out of the way" if it does work. If you end up having issues at the start though, it tends to have issues for ever in my experience. ^^;;

So yes, I would say that, if you are using windows 10 just make sure you have an SSD/upgrade to one. If not, then expect some pretty bad performance overall. And yes, linux for the win. haha

“Men always seem to think about their
    past before they die, as though they were
    frantically searching for proof that they
    truly lived.”
    – Jet (Cowboy Bebop) -

Comment

The driver problem I had, was sadly with SSDs! It seems that going back to a spinner, is a workaround.
      ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Been running 10 for over a year only issue I had was a feature update broke it.
        My pc
        CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
        MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
        RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
        PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
        GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

i just installed FreeDOS 1.3 on a 64bit dual-core machine.
          works great, no bullshit, no spyware.
          it even has a package manager now!!

Comment

I've been on 10 for quite some time across quite a few PCs. I, for one, like it. It's faster and more responsive than Windows 7. So many things are better, even little things... the Mail app that comes with it is great, Task Manager is much better, Storage Spaces work great (that's what I'm using for my Plex server), the installer is miles better with built-in drivers for pretty much everything... no more hunting down SATA drivers just to install Windows 7.

I just replaced my mom's old Latitude E5410 running Windows 7 with a ThinkPad T430 running Windows 10, and she isn't having any trouble getting used to it. I just don't understand the hate for Windows 10. Just a bonus image attached... old 5400rpm HDD vs a $20 SSD... LOL!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by shovenose; 07-12-2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
              I just don't understand the hate for Windows 10.
              For me, its all the forced updates & spying/phoning home. The interface is very nice, I will give it that...I have it on several test bed systems.....but I can't get past that the OS on my PC is tattling on me.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
              Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
              http://folding.stanford.edu/
              Team : 49813
              Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                For me, its all the forced updates & spying/phoning home. The interface is very nice, I will give it that...I have it on several test bed systems.....but I can't get past that the OS on my PC is tattling on me.

I totally understand that, I'm sure you'd cringe that I'm signed into MS Accounts on all my Win10 machines. But if MS wants to know that I like dudes or that I like American cars or that I prefer pizza over sushi, that's just fine by me.

I ditched Chrome due to how awful Google is when it comes to political agenda, leftist bias, and privacy... Yet I have a Google Home Mini. I'm sure that things stalks me. Oh, and my Android phone listens to me... at least Facebook does, for sure. If I talk about something with someone around my phone, I'll see ads for those things later that day. For example, me and my coworker were talking about a restaurant, Benihana, that I've never heard of before... and ever since I've seen Benihana ads all over FB. Though I'm not going, it's too expensive...

Comment

m$ knows a hell of a lot more that that, inc what you look like if you have a web-cam and what your saying in the room
                  (and what you watch on tv or listen to on the radio - they even have a marketing white paper on that concept!)

Comment

Windows 10 keeps resetting random settings back to defaults for me.

This is what I remember right now (on multiple computers):
                    Turning on one or two random telemetry/spying settings (not all of them)
                    Allowing connections to wireless hotspots and connecting to one when there is already a fully functional wired connection
                    Resetting default programs back to the extremely limited "apps"
                    Disabling file sharing

Comment

I've had 10 pro for gaming. Disabled updates completely. Updated to the latest official version manually, broke my sound (creatives fault). Creative did have a updated driver but it still had problems so I successfully reverted back to 1803
                      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                        I've had 10 pro for gaming. Disabled updates completely. Updated to the latest official version manually, broke my sound (creatives fault). Creative did have a updated driver but it still had problems so I successfully reverted back to 1803
                        How did you do this?

With W10 pro (and all versions of Windows from 7 & up with group policy editor), I did the following in gpedit.msc:

Administrative Templates > System > Internet Communication Management > Internet Communication Settings

Then turn off access to all Windows Update features.

That seemed to have killed all forced updates dead in their tracks.
                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                        Team Stats

Comment

How did you do this?

With W10 pro (and all versions of Windows from 7 & up with group policy editor), I did the following in gpedit.msc:

Administrative Templates > System > Internet Communication Management > Internet Communication Settings

Then turn off access to all Windows Update features.

That seemed to have killed all forced updates dead in their tracks.
                          yeah that's what I did
                          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Where to download latest Windows 10 ISO?

Comment

Originally posted by bewinco View Post
                              Where to download latest Windows 10 ISO?
                              https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...d/windows10ISO

Comment

it is not downloading windows 10 iso, instead a tool called mediacreation.exe

Comment

Originally posted by bewinco View Post
                                  it is not downloading windows 10 iso, instead a tool called mediacreation.exe
                                  See the second + "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC (click to show more or less information)".

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                                    See the second + "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC (click to show more or less information)".
                                    Did that and waited for about 30 minutes. but it says "can not completed the process on this usb." Tried 2 times and ended up using Rufus to download and burn ISO to USB.

P.S make sure format the USB to NTFS as FAT32 can not hold a single file larger than 4G
                                    Last edited by bewinco; 11-04-2019, 08:48 PM.

Comment

There is allwayse Linux .
                                      https://linuxmint.com

Comment

Originally posted by desert-rat View Post
                                        There is allwayse Linux .
                                        https://linuxmint.com
                                        I too am a fan of Mint to throw on systems that don't have valid Windows licenses.....but just so everyone knows, Mint is built upon the latest stable release of Ubuntu. Ubuntu is owned by Microsoft.....so if you're running Mint under the guise that you're "stinkin' it to the man", you really aren't.
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

I too am a fan of Mint to throw on systems that don't have valid Windows licenses.....but just so everyone knows, Mint is built upon the latest stable release of Ubuntu. Ubuntu is owned by Microsoft.....so if you're running Mint under the guise that you're "stinkin' it to the man", you really aren't.
                                          Since when ? Last I knew Ubuntu was funded by Canonical Ltd which is owned by Mark Shuttleworth.

Comment

Working...
                                          X