Samsung UN65LS003 BT/Wifi issues becoming more widespread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Samsung UN65LS003 BT/Wifi issues becoming more widespread

ok... thanks for the clarification. You check again on which band you are using as the channel number seems like a 5g... which potentially may have issues depending on implementation and a few other things... :-) The reason, it looks like 5g is the data rate, not 2.4G will usually get that high, at least in my limited experience along with my network setup. You should get a wifi scanner app and look and see what the overall "air" looks like around your living premises and also at / near the tv, just to get an idea of signal strength. I am thinking that perhaps you have a wifi "issue" with respect to signal / interference. Further, depending on the router, I have seen / read of issues with "mixed traffic" (ie. 2.4 and 5) happening on the same box. Some people indicate poor implementations and / or lack of firmware updates to address issues.

On the BT side, there should also be some sort of strength indicator and also again, what other BT devices are in the area? Sorry, if I am going side ways, potentially, if against my "try getting stability with a wired connection" first suggestion earlier. For that, you can see if your router sees / lists the devices connected and the addresses assigned and then go from the result with more testing of data there after. NOTE: ensuring a good idea of your network setup is important in terms of devices and cabling.

Comment

Do you think the wifi/Bluetooth noise would produce the problem behaviours? I'd understand poor signals and unpairing, but it had random resets, and missing MAC addresses. Also, as the issues got worse and I had to reply on Ethernet, even that stopped working consistently.
      It seems like just opening up the chassis seems to temporarily help (in some respects at least). Could this point to a thermal issue somewhere?
      Here's a pic of what my phone saw when I put remote into pairing mode, and the tv shows up as “computer”. The other pics show the status as issues become worse. 1st: All working, 2nd: Bluetooth lost, 3rd: Both wifi and Bluetooth lost. I don't have pics of where wired MAC was missing (I hope I didn't imagine that.)
      Attached Files

Comment

hmmm... probably getting past my understanding (especially in this tv area), but network problems / adapter interfaces can cause the operating system a lot of problems so it wouldn't surprise me when things go south, that the system (unix / android / ??? ) could get hung and reboots to get out of the problem temporarily or otherwise.
        Probably, the best mode would be to get some form of stability.... probably wired with the wifi / bt interface unplugged and see if the system is stable. Your comment about the back removed might be a good clue. You could try a small usb computer fan or otherwise strategically place to see if it helps. You can also try some "hair drier" type heating (carefully) at locations around the wifi board and main board to see if things go south faster. Might point to a specific component... usually a large IC / processor chip which typically have solder / ball failures in lots of sets. The thing is that you have two mains and wifi that you say follow the same issue pattern which as you suggested might be some form of marginal powering / heated component there in. When you loose your wifi or bt pair, how are you getting it back, ie. what sequence of operations are you following?

Of course, as you have read, the SM indicates missing MAC addresses points to a bad main board... "usually". I guess the other question, is where did you get the main and wifi board from?

edit: one other thing that you should look at is any error count values as identified in the SM. Carefully go thru the factory menu to get the service menu and look at the various tables which do have error counts in a couple of places. That might help in narrowing down things to specific function / board / component.
        Last edited by budwich; 05-14-2021, 04:39 PM.

Comment

I did actually check the error counts. Tons of BT and wifi counts. And something called “serdes”. I'll see if I can consistently reproduce the issues. As far as how the BT and wifi get back online? Seems random to me..
          Attached Files

Comment

about the wifi / bt "returning", it was more, do you "reset" anything, power down power up or anything like that. You appear to indicate that the system attempts to bring them back up on its own. As for the error counts, don't know but they seem "exhausted" (ie. "all ones") which is kind of strange... maybe. Possibly a data error causing "overflow" which causes the system to take action.

edit: the WD count appears to be a "bad thing".

edit: serdes... might be some sort of memory subsys... I see from quick search that some links show rambus system which I believe is a bus structure for handling significant comms and memory operations.
            Last edited by budwich; 05-14-2021, 07:11 PM.

Comment

An update on the table. Sorry, I didn’t realize a bit of the top was cut off before. You were right about the pins with “zero voltage”. There’s something going on, but in mV (AC?). Believe it or not, but the wifi still hasn’t dropped in over 24hrs while the BT drops more frequently now.
              This isn’t really proof of anything, but I wonder.. the heat sink on the main board is definitely hotter as the screen stays on. (Bear in mind I don't really know what's 'too hot for a sink') I was watching the BT_D+ USB pin while I sprayed the sink with aerosol circuit board cleaner. After a few minutes the voltage rose from 0.5v to 2.5v and the remote paired automatically.
              The wierd thing is that this is the REPLACEMENT board. Is it possible there’s the same issue with both the old and new boards? Maybe because of their age? (Built in 2017.)
              How does it unpair and pair? Usually automatically, with no input from me. I’ll try the remote and it works.. then it stops working and is unable to manually pair. Then I’ll try it again and occasionally it pairs ok.

A google search for Serdes (error count page) seems to show a releationship with optical fibre transmission. So might indicate issues with the OneConnect connection? The interesting thing is how close this is to the heatsink that I think is so hot.

A note on BT_D+ USB: When the remote is working it's around 2.5v.. then it randomly spikes to 3v at which point the remote stops working. Other times it's sitting around 0.5v when it's not working.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by NizNoz; 05-15-2021, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Update: Woke up and tried using remote. Didn’t work although heat sink was very cool. BT_D+ USB Was at around 3v, but later went to 2.3v and I was able to pair.

Comment

"strange progress"... :-) what changed to stabilize the wifi side of things? On the BT-D side of things, IF I understand / guess at things correctly, the BT interface is using some form of USB based interface. The signalling for a USB is "differential voltage" between the + and - pair. For "normal" data, it will "waggle" about .5-3 so you will likely notice some differences at times. Without an analyser, it might be tough to figure out what is happening / being signalled. I don't know enough about usb but a quick read seems to indicate an "idle" or end of data type condition for long "high periods". Just guessing.

I guess the one question that exists is: how do you know that your remote is fully functional and not the root of the problem?

Comment

I’ll take ANY progress at this point :-) I seem to be “progressing” down a rabbit hole!

I don’t think it’s the remote. I tested the remote at a box store, where it worked perfectly. Also, the issues continue when I use the infrared remote instead.

The wifi is still going strong. But I suspect that it’ll eventually give me issues once I replace the cover. (Which sounds crazy). Actually, one other factor that’s different now is that the TV is lying flat. Not sure if that’s significant though.

Comment

Don't know if this is significant, but I was testing SMPS on One Connect box when I noticed the wifi had dropped. It went back online, then seemed to drop again during my testing. Do you any experience with the box, or have any idea whether it's possible for it to effect the wifi/bluetooth?

Comment

So this weekend I replaced the TV's back cover and have had it running continuously. Problems are ongoing. Dropped wifi and bluetooth as well as resets. I found that disabling BT and wifi through the service menu seems to make things somewhat more stable but I was still getting occasional restarts. One extra bit of info I have now is that the LAN MAC address doesn't seem to disappear.
                        I called Samsung and described this all to them (without the 'tinkering').. they suggested I contact a local, Samsung-authorised service provider. No other advice. Any advice at this point?

Comment

disconnect the wifi module and see if your stability is better. Go from the result. Note: lots of reads on various sets that have problems... first suggestion is disconnect the wifi module. What does that tell you... :-)

Comment

Thanks. I’ll give it a shot. I also discovered an interesting option in the service menu. Watchdog disabling.. seems to have led to a decrease (hoping stopped forever) in resets.

Comment

good... yes, one of your posts show watchdog counts so that is usually a hardware related issue to help the firmware from getting "stuck" waiting on things that may never "come back" depending on how low they are in the system.

Comment

Oh man. What a let down I got home today to find the set has started resetting randomly again. DESPITE Watchdog, BT and Wi-Fi being disabled.

I physically disconnected the module completely.. and no change in symptoms. It continues to reset randomly. It's pretty much unusable.

I'm just glad all this started up again BEFORE I mounted the TV.
                                Last edited by NizNoz; 05-22-2021, 02:29 AM.

Comment

rather disappointing. Just to be clear, before this started to "reset", you had disabled both bt and wifi AND removed / disconnected to module.... or you only disconnected the module after it had started doing resets. Another thing that you could try to help with isolation, is disconnecting the one connect box. The display should stay on (ie. no resets) and only display some message like "connect one connect box" with some icon showing what is needed. It seems like you have some sort of heating impacting the main board which is somewhat common in a lot of different sets. IF you ever get back to some sort of "momentary stability", you can try to heat the main board carefully and strategically with a hair dyer to see if you can directly cause a reset from a certain area... most likely large IC / processors or memory.

edit: I guess there is also the possibility of a poor power board which I think you have wondered about. Do you have any kind of filtering capability to ensure clean power? replacement board?
                                  Last edited by budwich; 05-22-2021, 05:48 AM.

Comment

one other question: have you tried the "factory reset" option in section 4.10?

Comment

Resetting started before I physically disconnected the module, and continued after.. yup, I performed that “factory reset” a couple times.
                                      Filtering? I’m not sure if this qualifies, but I have a surge-protected power strip.
                                      I’m staring at the “kindly connect your one connect box” graphic. No resets yet.. if it doesn’t reset it could indicate a fault there I guess? I will need to spend more time before I can be sure..
                                      Last edited by NizNoz; 05-22-2021, 10:59 AM.

Comment

does it allow you to go into any menuing while the one connect is not connected so that you can exercise the main board a bit? On the one connect, the SM indicates voltages that should be there. Have you previously checked those?

edit: another question: have you turned off any "auto update" settings?
                                        Last edited by budwich; 05-22-2021, 12:06 PM.

Comment

I’m back at work.. will check when I get home later.. but I can seem to access any menu without the box connected. Perhaps I’ll try getting into the service menu.
                                          The only voltages I checked in the box where between the SMPS and main board. They were fine as far as I could tell.
                                          Also, I noticed “Serdes” error counts. I have no idea what that is, but have seen some mention of Serdes in the context of fibre optics.. so maybe implicating the box?

Comment

Working...
                                          X