Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Building a gaming rig for my dad...

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
    We tried that... Core2 Dell Optiplex 760 with a Geforce 730 GPU and 8GB of RAM. Didn't work worth a ****... Sometimes would work, but usually was too anemic to get anywhere. Running Windows 10 (required for both games so ANT+ works correctly). To be honest I suspect the HDD was the main issue (7200RPM spinner, of course), but as "antiquated" as the system is, I figured something newer would work better and provide better futureproofing (also, he personally requested a "newer" build).
    If the CPU of that system was somewhat above the minimum spec of the games, then I strongly suspect that GeForce 730 was the reason why they ran bad. In fact, even in much older games, that 730 won't do 1080p well at all. Even 720p is going to be a choppy struggle likely. Start with something like a GTS 450 pr GTX 550 minimum. A GTX460/560 should do the trick if DX12 is not required. On the AMD-equivalent(ish) side, HD5770 or HD6850 should be your minimum goal (again, if DX12 is not required.) For smoother 1080p (in older games), you need to move up to HD7850/7870 or even 7950/7970... or GTX760/770/780 territory. Only issue is, if you don't have a spare of these cards right now, even the GTX460/560 are selling for a bit more than they normally go for, thanks to the silly Cryptomining boom going nuts again.

As for the 7200 RPM HDD - that's not the issue for the slow game performance at all. Only thing that HDD would do is you'll probably get very slow loading times with Win10, if it's a slower/older drive with lower capacity and cache. Otherwise, at least from my own personal experiments, I haven't noticed any difference in games between SSD and regular rust-spinner, other than map/level loading times being slower on the latter, obviously.

Those aside, I do agree with your hunch to go with something a bit newer.
    Hex-core 1366 Xeon Westmere should do nicely indeed. If not, and you don't want to spend too much, see if there are any cheap Optiplex 790 or 3010's in your area - i.e. something with at least a 2nd gen i5 or i7. The i5 in your dad's laptop may be newer, but it's still a dual-core CPU (with HT.) 2nd gen i5 for the desktop (or better yet, i7) is about as low as you want to go these days. Based on Steam client surveys, a lot of people are still rocking 4th gen i7's like the 4790. So getting something in performance equivalent to that should give you a good few more years of useful life.

Riight... actually, I did take pics and forgot to post them.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...1&d=1616467216

One of the bay covers got punched in during transit. Oops.

The clear strips on the side are LED lit (not sure what color)
    Looks okay on the front.

Giveaway it's a cheapie... flappy metal windowed side panel:

Ah... it's one of those big-window older cases. Yeah, they are a bit flimsy, indeed. Not the worst I've seen, though.

Don't worry about the no-name fan. It's probably a sleeve-bearing... and a serviceable one, at that. Newer fans tend to be of the sealed variety, so can't be serviced once failed. These older sleeve bearing fans, though, with good cleaning and oil job can last pretty darn long.

At least they hemmed the holes in the back panel:

The mobo tray is alright.

But have a look at the expansion slots cutouts - they didn't run the cut all the way to the top where the screw area is. Therefore, inserting any card in there with any ports that stick out even somewhat close to the top will be a nightmare. I just parted a case exactly like this last month I picked up on CL for free (owner really wanted to get rid of it... and now I see why... though it being a rust bucket was probably another reason why ) When I was taking it apart, it took me a few good moments to realize why I couldn't pull the GPU out of the system. Turned out, the DVI port of the GPU couldn't go up and out of the expansion slot cutout due to the case not being cut properly. No matter how hard I tried to pry the case, I couldn't get it out. Ended up having to remove all card part-way (as much out as possible) and then remove them together with the motherboard. UGH! Don't know who though of that design, but it's BAD.

Other than this annoyance, what you have should be a workable case... well, maybe. Another item to check is the front USB ports. I see at least the cables for the front USB ports on yours appear to be shielded (though if the shield is not connected, that will need to be fixed too.) On the one I parted, they weren't shielded at all - just crappy ribbon cables. No chance of getting even USB 2.0 speeds without devices dropping out or going back to USB 1.1. If the cables are thin, more power-hungry USB devices, such as portable HDDs, will almost always fail back to USB 1.1 speeds, IME. Soldering a cap or two (>220 uF) between Vcc and GND right at the USB port pins can sometimes solve this.
    But IDK if doing all of that might be worthwhile or not. If your dad really would like to re-use this case, then perhaps it might be. But otherwise, you may actually be better off with a newer and better-built case.

Noname PSU tag (sorry for crap focus, this Nikon is putting the POS in Point and Shoot):

450W my ass :

Board says it's made by Yuelin. Very lightweight, a true gutless wonder!
    Yeah, that thing is the typical 100-150 Watts max crapola. I mean, sure it could probably output 200-250 Watts of "RAW" power... so long as you don't mind drowning your hardware with ripple tsunamis.
    In short, this PSU would have had just about enough juice for back in the early/mid 2000's for a budget P4/AthlonXP PC with a low-end GPU (I'm talking about GeForce 7 series era or earlier)... and it probably wouldn't have lasted long at all either, given the crap build quality and lack of guts. It wasn't worthy of a fixup probably even back then and certainly not worth bothering to fix or install in a PC today. Of course, you know this already. I'm just taking my turn at badmouthing it

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
    That PSU, I'd squish it in a vice while it's powered up just to see how much smoke & sparks come out of it...
    Nah, I'd much rather scavenge the very few useful parts it has: namely the 13007 (or equivalent, if you're lucky ) BJTs, 16-20 Amp rectifiers (useful for upgrading the ones in LCD monitors to reduce heat output), and output toroids, which are pretty standard -26 core material and useful in many electronics projects... and of course, besides those, you'll also find a TL431 or two in there and a number of c945 BJTs - all useful for projects involving fan controllers or signal control in general.

Oh, and last but not least... those gutless PSUs regularly have large loading resistors. So the next time you want to slow down a fan with no speed controller (like you did on that low-profile CPU cooler from the SBC I sent ya), a PSU like this will very likely have the parts you need.
    Last edited by momaka; 03-23-2021, 01:32 AM.

Comment

I think y'all missed an important detail:

The rig is being built for my father. The 2nd junk case was given to me by my father in-law thinking it might be "useful" for the former's build that I offhandedly mentioned while visiting this weekend. It's a flimsy POS, roughly on par (if not worse) than the 1st case. Makes my skin crawl

The geforce 730 was an attempt to get something that would have a working windows 10 driver, which the onboard 965 GPU does not. Seems half-height GPUs went the way of the dodo on a lot of newer stuff due to onboard GPUs becoming decent.
      Last edited by ratdude747; 03-23-2021, 04:59 AM.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Get him something new. High quality medium PSU. 1050 is even fine. I've seen those cases before...at goodwill over a decade ago. Still should 'work'
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Did some more looking at the father inlaw case.

The construction isn't as bad as I initially thought. The PSU may be junk, but the case is decently thick steel (nothing really nice, but it doesn't really have the "pop can effect" really bad ones are known for).

The power and reset buttons are illuminated separate from the power and HDD lights. They're blue. The side panel fan and the front strips are red, though. Weird combo...

If I reuse either case for this thread's build, I think the Azza case wins due to being better suited for a newer system. The other case is a relic of it's time, and would be better suited for a more period correct/style build (perhaps a 4x velociraptor array, or the like).
          sigpic

Comment

If I reuse either case for this thread's build, I think the Azza case wins due to being better suited for a newer system. The other case is a relic of it's time...
            Agreed.

Despite not liking the thin steel and styling of that Azza-tek case, it does have more features suited for a modern PC, like better ventilation, more cable management provisions (not a big deal IMO, but still good to have), and I'm sure properly-working front USB ports - again, something that I find a lot of old cheap cases had problems with. And in this day and age, non-working or finicky USB ports is a big let-down... which is why I think even the really cheap cases nowadays make sure to get that right, as no one likes it when their USB ports don't work right.

The geforce 730 was an attempt to get something that would have a working windows 10 driver, which the onboard 965 GPU does not.
            Understood and not criticizing you for it.
            I'm just pointing out that it's a weak video card, despite being newer.

Seems half-height GPUs went the way of the dodo on a lot of newer stuff due to onboard GPUs becoming decent.
            Probably.

And even back when half-height GPUs were more popular, hardly anything existed that was better than lower-mid-range cards. IIRC, the best you could get was HD4650/5570/6570/7570 or 6670/7670 if you were very lucky. Not sure what nVidia had on their side, but it probably wasn't much better. Now way way back, they did have a 9800GT PE (Power-Efficient) edition for half-height... but good luck finding those, especially working ones. Despite being power-efficient and putting out less heat, they still overheated themselves to death.

... And that's the major limitation of half-height card: TDP

Moreover, it looks like overall GPU TDP hass been back on the rise again with the last few generations of cards. The GTX 10x0 series were actually the first (in a long time) to bring back down the overall TDP significantly to more normal levels. But modern games are putting more and more "importance" on graphics than anything else, so the RTX20x0 line brought back the TDP up... and the latest GTX3080/3090 and equivalent Radeons are just silly, IMO. I mean what's next, 1 KW TDP GPUs?

At that pace, decent-performing half-height cards will probably never come back.

Then again... even when they existed, it was still just for a niche market. Not many people try to build a gaming rig out of an SFF or USFF - and it doesn't really make sense anyways.
            Last edited by momaka; 03-25-2021, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
              Agreed.

Despite not liking the thin steel and styling of that Azza-tek case, it does have more features suited for a modern PC, like better ventilation, more cable management provisions (not a big deal IMO, but still good to have), and I'm sure properly-working front USB ports - again, something that I find a lot of old cheap cases had problems with. And in this day and age, non-working or finicky USB ports is a big let-down... which is why I think even the really cheap cases nowadays make sure to get that right, as no one likes it when their USB ports don't work right.
              Steel wise, the cases are equal. Both are on the thinner side of adequate.

Actually, on further inspection, the AZZA's USB situation is worse that the other case (which did have actual USB rated cables!).

Of the four top USB ports, three are USB2.0 fed by some sketch looking cables (no shield!), and one is some weird single USB3.0 header and cable all molded together with two solder tabs to hold it to the board (which are already failing and loose).

What I'd like to do is replace the 3.0 port with a 2.0 (the traces and pads are there), and replace all four port's worth of cables with shielded cables rated for such use. Overkill perhaps, but it's a relatively easy fix. I even have new USB jacks leftover from another project.
              Last edited by ratdude747; 03-25-2021, 08:19 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Actually, on further inspection, the AZZA's USB situation is worse that the other case (which did have actual USB rated cables!).
                Interesting.
                Usually the newer cheapo cases get that right, whereas the old one had problems... but I guess that goes to show you never know what you'll get with cheap cases.

Yeah, making sure the USB ports work right is a good idea.

Also, instead of removing the USB 3.0 ports, you can just get one of those USB 3.0 to 2.0 adapters. Less work and you will still have the option of USB 3, should you ever put a new enough motherboard in that case that has USB 3.0 headers.

Comment

Noname PSU tag (sorry for crap focus, this Nikon is putting the POS in Point and Shoot):

450W my ass :

Board says it's made by Yuelin. Very lightweight, a true gutless wonder!
                  That PSU, even the cover printing, makes me barf!
                  Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 03-25-2021, 09:55 PM.
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Preaching to the choir... If Topcat is the king of SM, I'm likely one of his princes. I have 5 SM based systems running with 4 more decommissioned.
                    I guess I can add a bit more fuel to that fire too.

Not sure if you're looking for a (yet another SuperMicro) motherboard, but I found this on eBay:
                    https://www.ebay.com/itm/SUPERMICRO-.../265093521657?
                    ^ Nothing crazy... but for $50 shipped, you get 12 GB of registered RAM, a 1366 Xeon X3460 (so more or less equivalent to a 1st gen i7) and a working ATX mobo... so maybe a decent starter system? With that 1060, it should be a pretty OK match... or perhaps you may have to swap the CPU for a more powerful one if it bottlenecks the system (which it might). My guess is something like a high-end 6-core Westmere will do well enough.
                    Last edited by momaka; 03-26-2021, 12:43 AM.

Comment

dammit, was thinking about getting it but someone else bought it. Alas I really don't want more 2GB DDR3 modules... but buying a single 8G DDR3 seems so not worth it compared to the 12GB in that board...

Comment

Interesting.
                        Usually the newer cheapo cases get that right, whereas the old one had problems... but I guess that goes to show you never know what you'll get with cheap cases.

Yeah, making sure the USB ports work right is a good idea.

Also, instead of removing the USB 3.0 ports, you can just get one of those USB 3.0 to 2.0 adapters. Less work and you will still have the option of USB 3, should you ever put a new enough motherboard in that case that has USB 3.0 headers.
                        You missed the point. Right now I have a two USB 2.0 header connectors and one USB 3.0 header connector... which if I run an adapter, results in three headers serving 4 ports. Which IMHO is dumb. Also, the USB 3.0 solution they used is physically weak and already loose (and ripping traces off the board)... I all I have to do to convert it to USB 2.0 is desolder two tabs and clear the holes. I'll get pics after work.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                          dammit, was thinking about getting it but someone else bought it.
                          I'll let you know if I find something else then... whenever I do my eBay hunting next time, that is, which I don't know when it will be (a lot of times, I like to do it for fun, even when I know I won't be buying anything, lol.)

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                          Alas I really don't want more 2GB DDR3 modules... but buying a single 8G DDR3 seems so not worth it compared to the 12GB in that board...
                          Big capacity modules are and always have been expensive, unless they are too old and are considered as scrap value (currently, that would be DDR, and for the most part DDR2 modules too.) DDR3 isn't quite there yet, so that's why 4 GB, 8 GB, and 16 GB modules still cost a bit. In fact, I just drove out a few miles out of my way yesterday to buy some DDR3 4 GB modules from a guy on Craigslist, because he was selling two kits (2x 4GB per kit, so 8 GB total) for $10 each - cheaper than current eBay prices, even. I only bought one of them, though. Probably should have gotten both, but I don't have that many DDR3 boards (yet).

So the nice thing about those 2 GB DDR3 modules is they are more widely available due to their lower capacity - especially registered server RAM, since no one wants the low cap. modules there, lol. And this is where socket 1366 and 2011 shine, because you get 6, 8, 12, or 16 RAM slots instead of just 4 on a regular desktop ATX mobo. Fill them all in with low-cap. modules and you still get a silly amount of RAM (for desktop use anyways.)

You missed the point. Right now I have a two USB 2.0 header connectors and one USB 3.0 header connector... which if I run an adapter, results in three headers serving 4 ports. Which IMHO is dumb. Also, the USB 3.0 solution they used is physically weak and already loose (and ripping traces off the board)... I all I have to do to convert it to USB 2.0 is desolder two tabs and clear the holes. I'll get pics after work.
                          Well, you do have the case, so of course you have to decide what makes sense to do and what doesn't. I was just throwing some options/suggestions out there.
                          Last edited by momaka; 03-26-2021, 07:49 PM.

Comment

jeez this doesn't take much thought. I mean, I only read through some of it till you got off topic or to crazier related side topics

get a matx case ($49) with 3.0 ports, matx board MSI I usually like. (https://www.newegg.com/msi-a520m-pro/p/N82E16813144365) , F series intel chip or a 3000 series ryzen and an ssd. You don't have to take PSU's apart, or get used parts. You're turning this into a challenge when it doesn't have to be. I know how you love challenges but turning this into a workstation is suboptimal for gaming.

If he has the money, just put something new together. Taking freaking used SM workstations and server components just defeats the idea of a 'gaming rig'

Intel
                            i5-10400F
                            MSI H510M PRO
                            New Ram
                            new PSU (decent quality). There ya go

nice, fast, up to date

Comment

Big capacity modules are and always have been expensive, unless they are too old and are considered as scrap value (currently, that would be DDR, and for the most part DDR2 modules too.) DDR3 isn't quite there yet, so that's why 4 GB, 8 GB, and 16 GB modules still cost a bit.
                              It's unfortunate this is the case. However seems 4G modules...
                              In fact, I just drove out a few miles out of my way yesterday to buy some DDR3 4 GB modules from a guy on Craigslist, because he was selling two kits (2x 4GB per kit, so 8 GB total) for $10 each - cheaper than current eBay prices, even. I only bought one of them, though. Probably should have gotten both, but I don't have that many DDR3 boards (yet).
                              ... are not worth as much it seems, and 8's are a significant price step above 4's, almost a 40% price premium!

Well, yes, same problem, I have two DDR3 machines - one of which is a laptop, other is a desktop. And well, I don't want to be stuck with a whole bunch of 2GB modules as I don't have enough machines to downfill. Currently have two 4's and two empty, and would like to get to 16GB and to keep options open, getting a single 8 sounds like the best plan for me so I could get to 24G later without disposing of modules -- but holy crap, so not worth it. *sigh*

As for the laptop I have a 4 and an 8 DDR3. They refuse to work together, machine does not report the correct memory and is unstable with them both installed! *sigh* I can only use one or the other, so of course I'm using the sole 8. Wish I could do something with the 4.

DDR2 I still have downfill machines that have empty slots or 512M and 1G modules. Unfortunately the 512M modules will end up having to be scrap... including one that probably is already scrap as it causes any machine with it installed to no longer boot...

Comment

Poked around good old CL (which I forgot was still a thing), and among other "interesting" finds, I found this:

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/sy...296992170.html

Which is:

Ryzen 1600 with an evo 212 cooler
                                16gigs ddr3 @ 2133mhz
                                Gigabyte ab350m motherboard
                                Fractal meshify c case
                                550 Corsair psu
                                That's actually a DDR4 board (and an ASrock one... both made a board with that model number for such a platform)... typo?

Shot the guy an offer... more or less precisely what I've been looking for. Edit- Agreed to $225, picking it up tomorrow as part of my Easter plans... I guess this will be an Easter gift for my dad, who I was planning to see anyway!
                                Last edited by ratdude747; 04-03-2021, 02:23 PM. Reason: Quotes
                                sigpic

Comment

Bought. Working on getting windows 7 to install (on the path to getting windows 10 running). AHCI driver bull puckey kicking my ass, but the system runs. edit- it's a USB3.0 driver issue... i'm sure AHCI is part of it too, but being a relative noob to newer systems, I haven't had this before.

The PSU is better than advertised. 600W, I think it's a corsair?
                                  Last edited by ratdude747; 04-04-2021, 04:09 PM.
                                  sigpic

Comment

Bought. Working on getting windows 7 to install (on the path to getting windows 10 running). AHCI driver bull puckey kicking my ass, but the system runs. edit- it's a USB3.0 driver issue... i'm sure AHCI is part of it too, but being a relative noob to newer systems, I haven't had this before.

The PSU is better than advertised. 600W, I think it's a corsair?
                                    Quickly learning how USB support for windows 7 on these things is non-existent. Since it's a 300 series chipset, supposedly Crimson drivers will work. trying that... if not, I dunno.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Quickly learning how USB support for windows 7 on these things is non-existent. Since it's a 300 series chipset, supposedly Crimson drivers will work. trying that... if not, I dunno.
                                      what specific chipset?

Yup. The intel 300 series has no USB drivers for win7.

200 series you could nlite slipstream them, but they don't literally exist for win7

If it has a PC slot you could always put a USB card in and if it has native 7 support it should work for install (you could also slipstream those drivers with Nlite). Or if you have a PS/2 port, you can always keyboard navigate through setup and *cough* activation. Some Bios's have the ability to switch from xhci to ehci

You could use the seven *cough* -> 10 activation once you have a network connection.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                                        what specific chipset?

Yup. The intel 300 series has no USB drivers for win7.

200 series you could nlite slipstream them, but they don't literally exist for win7

If it has a PC slot you could always put a USB card in and if it has native 7 support it should work for install (you could also slipstream those drivers with Nlite). Or if you have a PS/2 port, you can always keyboard navigate through setup and *cough* activation. Some Bios's have the ability to switch from xhci to ehci

You could use the seven *cough* -> 10 activation once you have a network connection.
                                        Which is what I was trying to do... miss the "7 as part of the road to 10" comment?

Turns out AsRock had a .iso patcher for this... which I didnt' figure out until dicking with it for 3 hours (had installed with a PS/2 mouse/kb and a jerry rigged SATA DVD drive, but didn't work out).

Installed and working. I have pics for later (too late, gotta drive home and get a bit of sleep before work). But I did benchmark the final setup. See attached.
                                        Attached Files
                                        sigpic

Comment

Poked around good old CL (which I forgot was still a thing), and among other "interesting" finds, I found this:

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/sy...296992170.html
                                          Not bad at all, especially considering the current situation with silicon shortages and whatnot. In fact, even those 1st gen Ryzen chips are very good performers. According to some tests I've looked up, it will stomp 6th and 7th gen i5 chips, and even better than most 7/8th gen i7s, IIRC. A dual-CPU Xeon setup with 2x mid-range Westmere 6-core CPUs will come somewhat close to this chip, but still not top it. So it's definitely good performance for the money there.

With the GTX 1060, that should be pretty decent rig even today. Heck, you dad may be able to play even some of the latest AAA titles with lower settings, if he ever decided to go that route.

The 600W PSU is probably overkill... but I guess it doesn't hurt to have it anyways. Otherwise, a system like that would happily run on a 350-watter, provided it's a modern(ish) PSU that has at least 22-24 Amps available on the 12V rail.

Comment

Working...
                                          X