Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help find a replacement for Rubycon A0817 6.3V 1000uF 105C MBZ

Hi,
    I was hoping to get some help in identifying a replacement capacitor for a PET Rubycon A0817 6.3V 1000uF rated for 105C temp, MBZ series.

This is to replace one bad capacitor on a DELL 530 motherboard DG33M03 (manufactured by Foxconn, DELL part # FM586).

I'm attaching the pictures of the bad cap.

Thank you so much!
    Attached Files

Re: Please help find a replacement for Rubycon A0817 6.3V 1000uF 105C MBZ

Just use a cheap polymer. Shipping will cost more than the capacitor itself so plan on spending $5 or so. Avoid ebay and amazon. Do not try to get a MBZ replacement, it will be either extremely old or fake.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/...AE013/13420154

Also, you are fairly close to me. I can send you a Panasonic electrolytic 1000uf 6.3v for the cost of shipping (maybe $2?)
    Last edited by jayjr1105; 04-28-2021, 08:13 AM.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Ryzen 3600x
    16GB Patriot 3600MHz
    MSI B450 Gaming Plus
    MSI Air Boost Vega 56
    Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
    Rosewill Capstone 750W
    Hakko FX-888D Station
    FX-8802 Iron
    MG Chem .8mm 63/37 RA 2.2%

Comment

How about using this bad boy?

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/eeufk0j102/panasonic

If you are ok with it, send me a PM. Will have it drop shipped to you in the next 2-3 business days. We have free shipping with Arrow - for any size of order.

The peak current of the above looks too low.
      Last edited by mon2; 04-28-2021, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mon2 View Post
        How about using this bad boy?

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/eeufk0j102/panasonic

If you are ok with it, send me a PM. Will have it drop shipped to you in the next 2-3 business days. We have free shipping with Arrow - for any size of order.

The peak current of the above looks too low.
        Where are you seeing peak current rating of a polymer being lower than a cheap electrolytic? That polymer can handle 5 amps of ripple current at high frequency to 900mA on that Panasonic.
        Ryzen 3600x
        16GB Patriot 3600MHz
        MSI B450 Gaming Plus
        MSI Air Boost Vega 56
        Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
        Rosewill Capstone 750W
        Hakko FX-888D Station
        FX-8802 Iron

Comment

No. Meaning my recommendation of the Panasonic is lower in current rating than the polymer. There may be other options from Arrow that can support higher peak current. The original MBZ cap on the logic board offered higher current support. If Arrow has it, can drop ship it for free.

Comment

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions.

I noticed there is one more that looks strange...
            It has burn marks on the exterior side.

Attaching the picture...

This one is literally along the slot where video card was plugged in.

If it is also shot, does it even make sense to attempt to repair the motherboard?
            Attached Files

Comment

the part to it's right - 78l05 runs hot.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                The whole system was running super hot...

All of the fins on heatsinks were packed with dust, so were the fans and the PSU.

Took me a good 3-4 minutes using air gun hooked up to a 5 gal pancake compressor to clear out all of the dust.

Doing it as a favor for a good friend of mine, but not sure if it's worth fixing.

Comment

Unless that thing is serving a specific purpose, it's absolutely too old to put any time/effort/money into. Can pick up something on marketplace for $50 that would be 4 times faster than that system.

Since when does Arrow have free shipping???
                  Ryzen 3600x
                  16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                  MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                  MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                  Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                  Rosewill Capstone 750W
                  Hakko FX-888D Station
                  FX-8802 Iron

Comment

OP I live an hour from you, I can ship one of these if you want. I have several in my parts drawer

Ryzen 3600x
                    16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                    MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                    MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                    Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                    Rosewill Capstone 750W
                    Hakko FX-888D Station
                    FX-8802 Iron

Comment

the zlh wont fit as it looks like its a 10x16mm part. even if its the 8x20mm part, its also too tall and may interfere with the cpu heatsink since its right next to that. the rubycon mbz is an 8x11.5mm part. if its too fat, it may collide with the adjacent smd mlcc next to the cap and not fit.

measure the caps and make sure they fit before sending stuff over. dont waste money and ship stuff over that wont fit!
                      Originally posted by omon View Post
                      I noticed there is one more that looks strange...
                      It has burn marks on the exterior side.
                      it could also be just dust trapped there. i notice dust likes to get stuck between components packed closely together. that could be the zone under the video card fan where the wind from the fan blows out from. try to wipe the corner of a tissue across the area. hopefully the corner can fit through the tight space. if it doesnt wipe off, its burnt indeed! lol!
                      Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 04-30-2021, 09:41 PM. Reason: added more comments.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                        the zlh wont fit as it looks like its a 10x16mm part. even if its the 8x20mm part, its also too tall and may interfere with the cpu heatsink since its right next to that. the rubycon mbz is an 8x11.5mm part. if its too fat, it may collide with the adjacent smd mlcc next to the cap and not fit.

measure the caps and make sure they fit before sending stuff over. dont waste money and ship stuff over that wont fit!

it could also be just dust trapped there. i notice dust likes to get stuck between components packed closely together. that could be the zone under the video card fan where the wind from the fan blows out from. try to wipe the corner of a tissue across the area. hopefully the corner can fit through the tight space. if it doesnt wipe off, its burnt indeed! lol!
                        Heatsink won't interfere with that cap see here

Cap can always be bent over, doesn't have to look pretty, it just has to work. Also the polymer I have is super small. Pretty sure both of those caps will work fine. Waste money? You mean $1 to ship him two caps from 50 miles away?
                        Ryzen 3600x
                        16GB Patriot 3600MHz
                        MSI B450 Gaming Plus
                        MSI Air Boost Vega 56
                        Acer 32" 1440P Freesync
                        Rosewill Capstone 750W
                        Hakko FX-888D Station
                        FX-8802 Iron

Comment

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post

Since when does Arrow have free shipping???
                          We are an OEM design house for the PC industry and buy in fairly high volumes. If you have an account with $250k+ / annual of purchasing, Arrow is offering an incentive of free shipping to retain this level of business. Full details are on their website. It is very convenient for us for our local macbook / imac repairs to source SMD parts (any volume; any invoice price) literally the next 1-2 business days by Fedex Priority - with free shipping. We will soon try to use this service with free shipping to the UK / Europe and Asia - they have distribution sites worldwide.

Comment

Originally posted by jayjr1105 View Post
                            Heatsink won't interfere with that cap see here

https://i.imgur.com/OFck4x9.png

Cap can always be bent over, doesn't have to look pretty, it just has to work. Also the polymer I have is super small. Pretty sure both of those caps will work fine. Waste money? You mean $1 to ship him two caps from 50 miles away?
                            +1

That cap is also filtering the CPU Vtt rail via a linear regulator, so cap specs aren't that important. Any low ESR cap will be fine. In terms of voltage, even as low as 2.5V or 4V (polymer) cap will work fine, as CPU Vtt is less than 1.5V anyways.

That Ruby MBZ blew up probably because it got overheated from the regulator (MOSFET) next to it, especially since the CPU heatsink was clogged with dust, which means the CPU was running hot and also making the PCB/motherboard run hot as a whole. Otherwise, MBZ is pretty reliable - or at least a lot more than MCZ and MFZ series, which are a lot more sensitive to heat (and also discontinued, so don't try buying these either.)

Originally posted by omon
                            Doing it as a favor for a good friend of mine, but not sure if it's worth fixing.
                            It probably isn't from a time standpoint... but then if your friend has to get a new machine and ask for your help to set it up like the old one and transfer data/files, then you might as well fix this one, as that should be FAR less work (unless you run into a new problem after this.)

On that note, I strongly advise you open the power supply in the PC and check the caps in there too. At this age, these PSUs often develop bad caps... but it depends on the OEM, and pictures should be able to tell us that. Otherwise, there are the same OEM replacement PSUs on eBay typically for $13 or less shipped to most anyplace in the US. So that's always an option, should the original PSU need work/replacement.

Originally posted by jayjr1105
                            Unless that thing is serving a specific purpose, it's absolutely too old to put any time/effort/money into. Can pick up something on marketplace for $50 that would be 4 times faster than that system.
                            Where I live, $50 won't get you very far on the used market... though it varies. Sometimes there are decent 2nd and 3rd gen barebones (no OS and often no HDD) i5 systems for that price... but often times there are just plenty of Core 2 Duo systems (similar to what this Dell 530 is) either complete or mostly complete. So at least where I live, it would still make more reason to try to fix it... unless your time is worth a crazy amount of money per hour (but even then, can't think of everything is money all the time - that's not healthy either! )

Originally posted by stj View Post
                            I've never seem them run that hot on a motherboard.
                            These 7805 regs usually provide 5V for the audio IC... which doesn't really draw that much current. Therefore, I'm starting to wonder if something like a surge or lightning struck that motherboard. But I guess we will find out. I still suggest to replace the blow Ruby MBZ cap and see what happens. If PC runs, clean it up a little better, check the PSU, then put it back together if all is well and be done with it.
                            Last edited by momaka; 05-11-2021, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                              +1

That cap is also filtering the CPU Vtt rail via a linear regulator, so cap specs aren't that important. Any low ESR cap will be fine. In terms of voltage, even as low as 2.5V or 4V (polymer) cap will work fine, as CPU Vtt is less than 1.5V anyways.
                              I'd suggest the Nichicon PA series, if it's reasonably available, The impedance is similar to the HE series without an aqueous electrolyte, which is probably less sensitive to heat. Or a good quality polymer if 1000uF parts are available.
                              PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                              To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Working...
                              X