MacBook Pro 16" A2141 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Pro 16" A2141 Question

Common issue I am seeing is the CD3217 Chips on these. If I am not mistaken if one USB Chip (CD3217) goes bad, does that make the rest go bad like the A1707 A1706 boards (CD3215). Currently getting only 5V and 0.03 AMPs. Which I am assuming is a bad CD3217 chip, the board is not water damaged and is a like new board (I believe it was a pull of the shelf computer and was returned to the store (returns department) because it never turned on. Also .03 Amps is consistent. So I am curious if this is the case like CD3215 chips because if so I already know the culprit... ALSO G3H is present.
    sigpic
    MEOWING IN THE IMPOSSIBLE UNIVERSE!

Re: MacBook Pro 16" A2141 Question

T2 has to boot properly in order to negotiate 20V. First thing to try is T2 DFU recovery.
    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

Thanks! This was already attempted. I seen multiple non booting A2141 in front of me and they never showed .03AMPS.

Also when I did try DFU recovery the computer will not boot into it. When even attempting the computer goes from .03AMPS and drops all the way down to ZERO. We plug up the right side port to verify the voltage.
      sigpic

Comment

Also this has been tested on multiple computers and those that had issues with DFU were fixed (sometimes the battery was the culprit) . swapped out a good logic board and verified the battery is good as well. Also put the 5V .03A logic board in a known case with working components and still no luck for DFU. So I am leaning towards CD3217? I have some on their way being shipped soon, ALSO side note i did reflow the other 4 chips and no change. So assuming I have a bad chip or I am missing something.
        sigpic

Comment

Also the two fuses near the battery connector (12V fuses) do not have 12V whatsoever.
          sigpic

Comment

So went down power rails and PPBUS_G3H is present,
            then CHGR_EN_MVR is not present and U6960 has no power whatsoever. I am assuming the BGA chip is the culprit Will be ordering a TPS62180 BGA chip and seeing if thats the case.
            sigpic

Comment

I would check all the power rails one by one and make sure the PP3V42 power rail are present to turn on those CD3217.

Comment

Will be checking tomorrow. Already ordered the chips just in case.
                sigpic

Comment

CHGR_EN_MVR is sent by U7000. Additionally, U6960 is powered from PPBUS_G3H.

Comment

Hmm. I’ll check that area as well. It’s somewhere in between this area.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have two blown resistors at U7000 area.

R7021 and R7022

Will follow up
                      sigpic

Comment

Replaced the Two resistors they now have 5Volts and are back at 2 OHMS

These do not have voltage near u7000

C7062 0.00V
                        C7081 0.00V
                        C7061 0.00v
                        R7062 0.00v
                        R7061 0.00v
                        C7020 0.00v

Visual inspections on the Resistors look good (the other ones that had holes in them that were replaced.)

Tested Voltage on C7071 Only getting 1.15V
                        Last edited by Stephen; 06-19-2021, 12:39 PM. Reason: Found more info
                        sigpic

Comment

So basically PPBUS_G3H is missing unlike what you said previously…

Comment

Sorry when we tested we got 3.42 near a cd3217 so I assumed it was present. I now know G3H is the issue.
                            sigpic

Comment

PPBUS_G3H is supposed to be 12.6V/13.1V. Also there is no 3.42V rail on these boards.

Comment

ISL9240 is the culprit most likely. This is the power chip...
                                sigpic

Comment

After further looking (U7000) ISL9240 has a slight chip and a slight crack at the top before removing it. Will follow up with you when we get a new one in.
                                  sigpic

Comment

CRAZY board I swear.

Replaced the ISL9240HI and nothing happened...then after reflowing again it didnt do anything...so I was testing around the board then I heard some pop sounds...and then the USB C meter jumped from 5V 0.03A to 20V and .28AMPS then rising to 3.00 amps...the board is now turning on...The only thing replaced was the ISL9240HI...WTF? I was testing USB C areas and then it turned on. G3H was not present then it just came out of nowhere...I am kind of lost but I am assuming the ISL9240HI was the major issue. Going to throw the board in the cleaner and see if it holds.
                                    sigpic

Comment

Any results on this one Stephen? You spent a lot of time on this case.

Comment

Working...
                                      X