Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Need to replace capacitor on expensive motherboard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Need to replace capacitor on expensive motherboard.

I recently found a broken/missing capacitor on my EVGA Z390 motherboard. After contacting EVGA they were not able to provide repair/warranty service or information on the part I need to do the repair myself. Can anyone identify this capacitor and where I can buy a replacement? The cap has the following markings:
    FP
    88CG
    5 6 1
    Attached Files

Re: Help! Need to replace capacitor on expensive motherboard.

560uf 6.3v polymer
    you need to check the diameter yourself - probably 8mm
    and check the pitch between the pins - probably 2.5mm

Comment

Just measured:
      6mm diameter
      2.5mm distance between pins

Any idea where I can find/purchase a replacement?

Comment

wow, I've never seen a poly break off
        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Originally posted by pwnship View Post
          Any idea where I can find/purchase a replacement?
          look in the FAQ subforum under the thread Where can I buy replacement capacitors?

make sure u buy the right size as the original! watch the diameter, height and lead spacing as well as lead thickness or width! or else it wont fit on the board!! look for nichicon fpcap 560uF 6.3v. that the same brand and series as what the original is. tho u can get panasonic oscon sepc or chemicon npcap polymers as well.
          Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
          wow, I've never seen a poly break off
          i have. usually they are too close to the edge of the pcb and in an inconvenient spot. so then pulling the video card or mobo to remove it caused the cap to break off.
          Last edited by ChaosLegionnaire; 04-14-2021, 05:43 PM.

Comment

I need help with finding a replacement for a cap on my mobo as well the markings read : 5KY37 C with a dot in the middle (reminds me of the halo emblem) 270 16v it is part of the vrm's on an Asus m5a78l-m plus/usb3 rev 1.01 am3+ board (yes I know old but still does good) I had to move the cap to allow space to put heatsinks on the mosfets of the vrm (needed just a mm more space) so instead of bending or pushing I decided to desolder reposition and resolder however I am not happy with the end result of the connections so I would like to get a cap to replace the old one with longer leads to give me a good connection from my googlefu I believe the cap is a 270uf 16volt cap roughly 8mm diam and 12.5 mm tall but would really like to be sure before I actually damage anything beyond my ability to repair thank you for your time and sorry for so much text

Comment

yes, 270uf - your right.
              depending on your standoff/case height you may be able to fit the cap on the other side of the board!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post

i have. usually they are too close to the edge of the pcb and in an inconvenient spot. so then pulling the video card or mobo to remove it caused the cap to break off.
                I have as well, and the cap was close to a PCB edge where installing another PWA or a tool slip could hit the part hard enough to partially break it off. I've also seen cases of MLCCs being so close to a PCB edge that the process of breaking apart panel-ized small PCBs flexed and cracked the MLCCs (small PCBs are not fabbed and stuffed individually; a batch of the PCBs are fabbed onto a large panel, components installed and soldered, with holes drilled to enable breaking apart the individual PCBs).

I hope that wasn't as clear as mud.
                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Fat Fingered bullies kill electronics!

Comment

nay! fat headed dumb unergonomic designers kill electronics!

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                      Fat Fingered bullies kill electronics!
                      Originally posted by ChaosLegionnaire View Post
                      nay! fat headed dumb unergonomic designers kill electronics!
                      Both, though component density is starting to preclude good ergonomic design.

IOW: (Component Density) + (Designer Density) + (User Density)
                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

all end user/purchaser fault for wanting smaller and smaller devices!

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                          all end user/purchaser fault for wanting smaller and smaller devices!
                          Not necessarily.
                          Manufacturers also want to make smaller stuff too, because smaller usually means less materials used... which usually translates to lower production cost and higher profit.

Comment

Wrong , smaller isnt cheaper, smaller cost more .

Comment

Originally posted by brethin View Post
                              Wrong , smaller isnt cheaper, smaller cost more .
                              No, it depends on the device.

If you want to make a PSU a small as possible with the current technology... yes, it can get expensive due to having to use really high quality rugged parts that can deal with the heat and provide high efficiency (as otherwise it may not be possible to make the PSU in such a small size.)

But on the other hand, if you put a regular PSU in a really huge space that isn't really needed, then you are wasting materials that could have been saved for use on producing more units.

So in essence, both extremes cost more money.

That said, if you look at the trend of technology in the last few decades, you will see that things have gotten smaller not just because the user only wants it, but also because it saves materials and is **usually** cheaper to manufacture.

Comment

Working...
                              X