Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rework Station Pump - Can They Be Repaired ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rework Station Pump - Can They Be Repaired ?

if the diaphram is suposed to be on the polepiece, when it pushes it should cover the 4 outer holes, and when it pulls it should expose them.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
      if the diaphram is suposed to be on the polepiece, when it pushes it should cover the 4 outer holes, and when it pulls it should expose them.
      Okay, that makes sense, kind of similar to reed valves in operation - but it seems like it would always be sucking then, unless it's ported something like a 2-cycle diesel engine.

Comment

good point - we need much closer foto's of the pole ends and diaphrams.

Comment

good point - we need much closer foto's of the pole ends and diaphrams.
          I concur - also would like to see where the heat-wand sources its air from (or plugs into or whatever) 8^)

Comment

I will try to take some better pictures guys I know the ones I already posted are not the best.

The holes in the diaphragms are just positioning holes. They fit into the four prongs on either end of the piston maybe to keep the piston from torquing so it stays true between the electromagnets.

Comment

Here's two pictures I pulled from the net of the same unit with it partially disassembled.
              Attached Files

Comment

sooo.... how many air couplings are on it?
                i see one on each diaphram cover - is it one in and one out?

Comment

The two lines from the diaphragm covers go into some sort of equalization chamber which has a single line out feeding the wand. So one line in, one line out.

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
                    The holes in the diaphragms are just positioning holes. They fit into the four prongs on either end of the piston maybe to keep the piston from torquing so it stays true between the electromagnets.
                    If it's ok to cover those holes then maybe you could add a rubber washer, to stiffen the diaphragm - maybe even 'super-goop' it to the top, being careful that it's concentric and
                    any glue layers are even, all depending on if there's room for the additional material in the manifolds - could just be a very tempoary repair, but might be worth the trouble, probably easier than finding new diaphragms.

Here's two pictures I pulled from the net of the same unit with it partially disassembled.
                    I bet there's a reed valve in those manifolds 8^)

Comment

Two more pics and a new theory.

The first pic is the unit right side up. One hose goes in the top into the main chamber while the other end is just left hanging inside the case. Maybe just to keep the main chamber itself from pressurizing. Each diaphragm goes into the rear chamber (purpose ??) and one hose leaves that chamber and goes to a plastic tank. The outlet of that tank feeds the hot air wand.

The second pic shows the valves on the inside of the diaphragm cover.

Do you think the piston should contain two permanent magnets or some non-magnetized steel ? If there was no attraction then the piston would sit properly until the coils were energized.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by mmartell; 04-08-2016, 07:10 AM.

Comment

it's what i originally said about the 4 holes by the look of it.
                        the air enters the center around the coil, gets pushed through the end pieces and combined before going into the white box that is probably a filter or expansion chamber.

Comment

Two more pics and a new theory.

The first pic is the unit right side up. One hose goes in the top into the main chamber while the other end is just left hanging inside the case. Maybe just to keep the main chamber itself from pressurizing.
                          or depressurizing...

Each diaphragm goes into the rear chamber (purpose ??) and one hose leaves that chamber and goes to a plastic tank.
                          just a guess, to provide higher volume resevoir...

The second pic shows the valves on the inside of the diaphragm cover.
                          Dam, no reed valves...

Do you think the piston should contain two permanent magnets or some non-magnetized steel ? If there was no attraction then the piston would sit properly until the coils were energized.
                          I think it should have magnets, with no current thru the coils the attraction should be about the same in either direction; but, if it works ok with just metal pieces then I guess the designer saved the mfg. a few pennies. I'm curious as to how many cfm that pump is good for. Also, can you tell whether it uses line freq. or its own generated AC to run the motor? If there's a way to vary the airflow, maybe it has a miniture variable frequency drive on that control board, hmm...

Comment

it's what i originally said about the 4 holes by the look of it.
                            the air enters the center around the coil, gets pushed through the end pieces and combined before going into the white box that is probably a filter or expansion chamber.
                            No. The four holes are locators that fit into matching tits on either end of the piston, presumably to enforce proper orientation.
                            Attached Files

Comment

They are definitely magnets on the piston was just wondering aloud if they became magnetized when they shouldn't be.

The coils are fed voltage controlled a/c, maybe you can gleen more from the pic of the control board I don't know enough about that. I measure 77v at lowest speed and 110v on high so that much seems to be working right even though the piston was essentially stuck in place and not moving.

What the hell could be wrong with this thing ?
                              Last edited by mmartell; 04-08-2016, 02:33 PM.

Comment

so it's what i said,
                                when the pole pulls inward, the diaphram will flex away from the pole and allow air to leak through those holes - a bit.
                                and when the pole moves outwards it will press against the holes and seal them.

at this point, if the housing is not cracked, start looking at how the coils are driven - incase it's a current issue not moving the pole far enough.

Comment

They are definitely magnets on the piston was just wondering aloud if they became magnetized when they shouldn't be.

The coils are fed voltage controlled a/c, maybe you can gleen more from the pic of the control board I don't know enough about that. I measure 77v at lowest speed and 110v on high so that much seems to be working right even though the piston was essentially stuck in place and not moving.

if you assemble it without the diaphram on one end and with the end section missing - can you move the pole or is it sticking?

Comment

Pic 3 and 4 show what looks like a "button" that fits over the assembly before the nut gets tied down so that part of the assembly is sealed, as it is around the perimeter when the diaphragm is fully installed.

There is too much play - the magnetic forces are too strong and overcome whatever should be keeping the piston centered in the coil assembly. Need to find a way to simulate keeping the piston centered to see if it will oscillate properly under test conditions.

Comment

can you measure the frequency that the different voltages are at also?

As far as what's wrong, I thought you said that the spindle was getting stuck to the poles, I've been going on that assumption - Or do you mean, why are they doing that?

Comment

Your assumption was based on my assumption lol. I was thinking that the diaphragms may be designed to support the piston in place (beside their obvious function) in which case they have failed. Need to design a test to float the piston and see if it functions properly.

Comment

so it's what i said,
                                          when the pole pulls inward, the diaphram will flex away from the pole and allow air to leak through those holes - a bit.
                                          and when the pole moves outwards it will press against the holes and seal them.
                                          Since looking at the newer pics I can't agree with that possibility anymore, having seen those manifolds. Before those pics, it seemed debatable whether the work was being done inside the inner chamber or outside it; I do still think it's possible that the diaphragm is supposed to be secured somehow to the ends of the spindle so its lateral movement is more limited (not to say that that makes it true &^).

at this point, if the housing is not cracked, start looking at how the coils are driven - incase it's a current issue not moving the pole far enough.
                                          I'm wondering now about the noise it made when it failed, did it make a big noise and then quit, or did it start making a noise and then you turned it off because of it?

Comment

Working...
                                          X