Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help identify Christmas light wiring

Hi,
    Yesterday i went through storage and found this old christmas multi function lighting set
    with a light controller box, but the neon light bulbs and wiring had been pulled off.

Now i wish to know how to use the output connection which has 3 wires, i noticed the first two output wires connected to third leg of transistor pcr406 while the 3rd output wire is connected to live or neutral. This is a 220v ac setup. How and which wires do i connect to the neon bulb? Hope someone can help point me to the correct way. Thank you.
    Attached Files

Re: Help identify Christmas light wiring

interesting!
    they arent neon, they are 6v or 12v bulbs in series to total 240v
    the "transistors" are probably triacs or scr's and are the 2 outputs - you have 2 sets of lights so it can flash between them.

what i find interesting is the pcb has space for 4 channels! - i wonder if they pulse or if you need different software??

Comment

The pcr406 is a 0.8Amp/400v scr, the load in this case will be a number of incandescent lamps whose voltage total the input (220vac) The controller is a 8 sequence controller, and with the addition of 2 more scr's should control 4 channels.
      I have a blown 16 sequence Christmas light controller just like this but the chip on board is bad.
      Last edited by R_J; 09-21-2020, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
        interesting!
        they arent neon, they are 6v or 12v bulbs in series to total 240v
        the "transistors" are probably triacs or scr's and are the 2 outputs - you have 2 sets of lights so it can flash between them.

what i find interesting is the pcb has space for 4 channels! - i wonder if they pulse or if you need different software??
        Hi stj,

Say if i have a string of 20pcs 12v bulbs in series= total 240v, then i just connect one end to the output from first scr and another end to the common line. If i got an extra set of the same 20pcs bulbs, i need to connect one end to the output from the second scr and another end to the common line. Is the above correct as i do not wish to trip the house ac line. In addition, is there any part of the pcb that i can add a fuse or some diode to prevent over current or short circuit?

Appreciate all your response and helpful comment. This forum had been a very resourceful place to ask for these electrical querries.

Comment

Eiew COB...

Comment

Originally posted by mikey5791 View Post
            Hi stj,

Say if i have a string of 20pcs 12v bulbs in series= total 240v, then i just connect one end to the output from first scr and another end to the common line. If i got an extra set of the same 20pcs bulbs, i need to connect one end to the output from the second scr and another end to the common line. Is the above correct as i do not wish to trip the house ac line. In addition, is there any part of the pcb that i can add a fuse or some diode to prevent over current or short circuit?

Appreciate all your response and helpful comment. This forum had been a very resourceful place to ask for these electrical querries.
            that's correct, you can just use a couple of sets of standard x-mas lights wired as you guessed.
            as for a fuse, inline with one of the incoming mains wires.

infact to make it safe, replace the mains cable with a flat one that has 2 layers of insulation - chop an old radio lead or something and that gives you the plug and cable in one move.
            Last edited by stj; 09-22-2020, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X