Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vizio M65-C1 No Power

Originally posted by Kenable View Post
    I got this new from Costco about 4 years ago. Sadly I only had 3 years warranty on it. I noticed the picture from the post mentioned above shows a main board that looks similar and replacing the board seemed to fix it.

I ordered one from eBay, hopefully it's the correct one and it works!
    Very strange looking board(s). The other post person never posted a picture of the "cleaned up" card but it is hard to imagine that the board is functional. That looks like significant "contamination" but not sure what. My guess would be "flooding".

It does appear that the other poster found a new main and got his set working so you could also get there.

Comment

Finally was able to take a look at the main board and all does not appear well. On the back of it is all this residue. Anyone know if that can just be cleaned off or is that the blood of a dead CPU oozing onto the board?
      Do you live by the coast at all? My in-laws have a beach house right off the pacific and have a TV in the garage - the salty air just got to it and coated the board.

The coax connector cage looks like it's rusted as well.
      -Thomas
      I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

I wouldn't put too much indication on the power indicator on the front of the TV. Depending on how it's configured, it may just turn off. I worked on a customer's 60 inch TV and it was very misleading.

As far as the TV goes:
        1. Do you get any voltage across the LED connector? What voltage do you see when you initially plug in the TV? what voltage do you see when you press the power button?

2. Does the voltage stay steady? Does it decay?

I think your backlights may be at fault and the TV is going into shutdown mode.

As previously indicated, your PS-ON signal is at 3.3V when the TV is on, which seems to indicate the main board is working (enough) to send the PS-ON signal back to the power supply board.

does the backlight even flicker once even for the shortest period of time? If not, maybe there are several LEDs that are open on the string.
        Last edited by ngth82; 12-27-2019, 12:38 PM.
        -Thomas
        I'm a hardware engineer focused on networking equipment for my day job. I void warranties and fix consumer electronics for fun.

Comment

Originally posted by ngth82 View Post
          I wouldn't put too much indication on the power indicator on the front of the TV. Depending on how it's configured, it may just turn off. I worked on a customer's 60 inch TV and it was very misleading.

As far as the TV goes:
          1. Do you get any voltage across the LED connector? What voltage do you see when you initially plug in the TV? what voltage do you see when you press the power button?

2. Does the voltage stay steady? Does it decay?

I think your backlights may be at fault and the TV is going into shutdown mode.

As previously indicated, your PS-ON signal is at 3.3V when the TV is on, which seems to indicate the main board is working (enough) to send the PS-ON signal back to the power supply board.

does the backlight even flicker once even for the shortest period of time? If not, maybe there are several LEDs that are open on the string.
          I'm not sure which LED connector to measure, but In post #15 i made some observations about the voltages decaying....no backlite flickering that i can see. Here are the measurements I'm seeing:

CN9101 -__________OFF____ON
          PIN 1 - +5V/+3.5V__5.1V____5.2
          PIN 3 - +12V -______19V____19.0
          PIN 5 - +12V -______19V____19.0
          PIN 7 - +12V_A _____19V____19.0
          PIN 9 - GND -________0V_____0
          PIN 11 - GND ________0V_____0
          PIN 13 - 3D _________0V_____0
          PIN 15 - ON/OFF _____0V_____0.0-0.1

CN9102 -
          PIN 2 - +5V/+3.5V -___5.1V__5.2
          PIN 4 - +12V - _______19V___19.0
          PIN 6 - +12V - _______19V___19.0
          PIN 8 - +12V_A -______19V___19.0
          PIN 10 - GND -________0V____0
          PIN 12 - GND - ________0V____0
          PIN 14 - PS_ON -_______0V___3.7
          PIN 16 - DIM -_________0V____3.3

CN9201 -
          PIN 1 - ON/OFF - ______0V____0.1
          PIN 3 - 3D ___________0V____0
          PIN 5 - GND __________0V____0
          PIN 7 - GND __________0V____0
          PIN 9 - GND -_________0V____0
          PIN 11 - +24V - _______0V____24.0
          PIN 13 - +24V - _______0V____24.0

CN9203
          PIN 2 - DIM - _________0V____3.3
          PIN 4 - +12V - ________19V __19.0
          PIN 6 - GND - _________0V____0
          PIN 8 - GND - _________0V____0
          PIN 10 - +24V -________0V____24.0
          PIN 12 - +24V -________0V____24.0
          PIN 14 - +24V - ________0V____24.0

Comment

So now CN9101 and CN9201 ON/OFF pins are showing 0.1V when TV is ON, correct?
            In the earlier thread post #6 you are showing ON/OFF pin as 3.3V on CN9101, and 0.1V on CN9201.
            Never stop learning
            Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
            http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
              So now CN9101 and CN9201 ON/OFF pins are showing 0.1V when TV is ON, correct?
              In the earlier thread post #6 you are showing ON/OFF pin as 3.3V on CN9101, and 0.1V on CN9201.
              Correct, in post 15 I measured again and corrected what i posted in error.

Comment

What's the first 8 letters of your serial on the back cover?

Comment

Serial#: LTCASNAR3950382

Comment

Correct, in post 15 I measured again and corrected what i posted in error.
                    What you can do is to have all connector in place but not having the ON/OFF wire going to the main board connected then force backlights on by connecting 470 ~ 1K resistor between Standby power supply pin and the ON/OFF pin on the power supply board to simulate the ON/OFF CONTROL SIGNAL. Power up and turn on the TV and see if you get video on the screen and all the functions are OK or not. If that works then we can use other control signal to be used as ON/OFF signal.
                    Never stop learning
                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                      What you can do is to have all connector in place but not having the ON/OFF wire going to the main board connected then force backlights on by connecting 470 ~ 1K resistor between Standby power supply pin and the ON/OFF pin on the power supply board to simulate the ON/OFF CONTROL SIGNAL. Power up and turn on the TV and see if you get video on the screen and all the functions are OK or not. If that works then we can use other control signal to be used as ON/OFF signal.
                      Thanks so much for the tips, but this was sounding a bit over my pay grade so i opted for the replacement main board.

The first one i ordered ended up being the wrong one since it was missing one of the connectors. It appears the seller wasn't sure what numbers on the board were relevant and neither was i so even though the numbers they mentioned matched my board, it still wasn't the correct one. (Pic attached)

Heading back to eBay i found another board and the seller referenced the code on the white sticker on the board and that matched what i have. So i ordered it and plugged it all in and now its back up and going again. I noticed the LED on the main board lite up purple right when i plugged it in then turned red, it wasn't doing that before with the bad board.

Thanks so much for the heads up on what to look for, at first i was sure it was a power supply issue but you guys got me straightened out on that part and looking at the main board.
                      Attached Files

Comment

BTW- now the serial number listed on screen doesn’t match the back of the TV. Is there any way to update the s/n reported by the main board?

Comment

I have a power board 715g6887 p02-001-002s. It's got no voltage.
                          How to be the pin voltages of a power supply only connected to 120v?

Comment

Ok i rechecked and made some observations:

When i plug it in the indicator light on the lower left front of the TV comes on then fades off.

Right after plugging it in but before powering it on, checking the voltages... the 24V pins looked like they were slowly discharging down from 24V.

Checking this again I don't have the 3.3V When powered on:

CN9101 -__________OFF____ON
                            PIN 15 - ON/OFF _____0V_____0.1

After i had powered the TV on and was taking measurements, i noticed that the left front power indicator light came back on then faded off on its own (I wasn't touching anything or taking any measurements when it did that)

I do not see any backlights turn on or anything on the screen at all when plugging it in or powering on...only the left front power indicator coming on then fading out.
                            Yep, this IS your clue that the mainboard is the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaroldf View Post
                              I have a power board 715g6887 p02-001-002s. It's got no voltage.
                              How to be the pin voltages of a power supply only connected to 120v?
                              Is this a Vizio M65-C1 power supply. Do you have any pictures of it?
                              Willing to help but I'm no expert.

Comment

Working...
                              X