Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Garmin dog training collar.ID help with SMD, Please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garmin dog training collar.ID help with SMD, Please?

I have several boards like this from my buddy...The boards are out of training collars for hunting dogs. Powered by 3.6V Li-ion, 2750mAh, 9.9Wh battery. This components are related to the audible tone and shock functions of these collars... and all have these same SMD components that are bad. All the boards have 2 of these (as shown in the 2nd image) and the related functions of the units are non-working on the boards with the damaged SMD's. They have only C on them.

Does anyone here know how to find out what this component is and where to get it.. if it is available??

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files
    Last edited by Macroman; 08-18-2022, 03:31 PM.

Re: ID help with SMD, Please?

Model details , or give some general description .

Comment

Originally posted by Manjunathrawoor View Post
      Model details , or give some general description .
      added to original post..sorry about that

Comment

Without details cant help , share the details . or share the board full picture any part no on the board.

Comment

it's an inductor, but i dont know what "C" means
          why are they breaking? ferrite is pretty strong

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            it's an inductor, but i dont know what "C" means
            why are they breaking? ferrite is pretty strong
            Thanks..I have no idea why they are breaking, to be honest.
            The collars are strapped around dogs necks and the dogs fight huge wild hogs/boars (anywhere from 150-350 plus pounds) and are in a lot of swamp areas..lots of water. I am not seeing any moisture damage in the units though.
            I am guessing that it has something to do with the shocking part of the collar..maybe it over heats if shocking for too long..although the collar does have a 10 second auto shut off on the shock function. Not sure...but I do know that these inductors are damaged in every collar that the shock/tone function no longer works.
            THe board is fastened with 4 screws and 3 solder connections inside a waterproof housing...so I would think that it's not "rattling" around in there or anything like that.

Comment

another couple of the boards..same smd's, cracked

Attached Files

Comment

whats the part number on that chip?

btw, it may be a water problem.
                if the dog is wet the shock will bypass the dog and go through the water - at much higher current.
                it could be overloading the high voltage generator.
                Last edited by stj; 08-19-2022, 04:20 AM.

Comment

whats the part number on that chip?

btw, it may be a water problem.
                  if the dog is wet the shock will bypass the dog and go through the water - at much higher current.
                  it could be overloading the high voltage generator.
                  Best I can tell the number on the chip is..
                  SN98019
                  A0
                  TI 91k
                  ASKL

The theory about the wet dog is very possible for sure..

Comment

Newer version of same model collar..
                    Different looking coils but same damage and different numbers on the chip..

Attached Files

Comment

find a datasheet for texas instruments "sn9b019a0"
                      good luck, it looks like it was custom-numbered for garmin.

is this colar made by garmin??

Comment

I suspect this is the main power management ic, "similar" to a TPS6521815 or maybe like a TPS65072
                        "similar" as in NOT THE SAME, different pinouts etc.
                        Last edited by R_J; 08-19-2022, 04:18 PM.

Comment

no - pinout dont match

the track layout is lifted from a reference design btw, thats why it has unpopulated sections.
                          i saw the same layout on a bigger board driving large processors on a russian forum.
                          (radio kat)

Comment

I never said the pinouts matched, I just ment it could be like one of the other TI type boost/buck converter ic's. The SN9B019 seems to have 3 outputs but on this board only 2 are used.
                            I was not going to check every ic to find a matching ic.
                            Last edited by R_J; 08-19-2022, 04:24 PM.

Comment

find a datasheet for texas instruments "sn9b019a0"
                              good luck, it looks like it was custom-numbered for garmin.

is this colar made by garmin??
                              Yes collars are made by garmin...so probably going to need a lot of luck to find the replacement coils even....

I know that I need the replacement coils/inductors.

And you are thinking is the chip is maybe bad also?????
                              Last edited by Macroman; 08-19-2022, 04:44 PM.

Comment

I would guess something else is bad, like the chip. In post #10, the coils ferrite is cracked, but I can't see that being the problem, likely the internal buck converters that the coils are part of, are bad. Have you done any voltage checks etc. on the ic? What are the voltages on the coils? I suspect this ic supplies other voltages for the other ic's in this device.
                                based on a picture of another garmin device that also uses a TPS6300 ic (buck/boost converter) and an inductor marked "C" It's datasheet suggests a 2.2µh coil
                                TDK VLF4012-2R2
                                Coilcraft LPS3015-222MR
                                muRata LQH3NPN2R2NJ0
                                Last edited by R_J; 08-19-2022, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                  I would guess something else is bad, like the chip. In post #10, the coils ferrite is cracked, but I can't see that being the problem, likely the internal buck converters that the coils are part of, are bad. Have you done any voltage checks etc. on the ic? What are the voltages on the coils? I suspect this ic supplies other voltages for the other ic's in this device.
                                  based on a picture of another garmin device that also uses a TPS6300 ic (buck/boost converter) and an inductor marked "C" It's datasheet suggests a 2.2µh coil
                                  TDK VLF4012-2R2
                                  Coilcraft LPS3015-222MR
                                  muRata LQH3NPN2R2NJ0
                                  Thank you!!

I have a working collar..so I am going to do some comparison testing with one of the non-working collars and check the voltages and readings on some of the other components in the circuit.

Comment

you could lift and meter an undamaged coil - if you have an LCR or component tester

Comment

DC50, T5? Damaged inductors on all Garmin collars. Occurs when the shield cover is struck or closed. This is their disease. In this state, they work and the collar turns on. SN9B019 This is a multi-voltage power controller.
                                      If you want to replace the throttle, then take it from a donor or measure a serviceable one.
                                      If your collar does not turn on, then the coil is not the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by UserAlexandr View Post
                                        DC50, T5? Damaged inductors on all Garmin collars. Occurs when the shield cover is struck or closed. This is their disease. In this state, they work and the collar turns on. SN9B019 This is a multi-voltage power controller.
                                        If you want to replace the throttle, then take it from a donor or measure a serviceable one.
                                        If your collar does not turn on, then the coil is not the problem.
                                        Thank you for the valuable info!!
                                        This is a TT10 collar...I have looked at several of these for my friend (TT10's, TT15's, and a couple T5's) and a lot of them have the same problem with the inductors for sure.

Do you think that this is being caused from a "jar" while the dog is wearing the collar??... Or could it be that the guys are tossing the collars around roughly..say into a metal toolbox or storage compartment on a dog box, etc.????

Comment

Working...
                                        X