Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best way to drive a heating element?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The best way to drive a heating element?

Here is an of the shelf solution that might work for you if you are going to use it for 5 volts or 3 volts you will need to change the resistor to the optic sensors for it to work correctly

If I remember correctly it is setup for a 12 volt input system

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29216811276...Bk9SR4Kvve7BYQ

Another option might be to use this module might be a simpler method of doing what you are trying to do

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224143044400

You might get a module that does not work correctly meaning that you can not get the current all the way down to the milliamperes range just try another module I have had this issue with a couple of these modules but most of them do work correctly
    Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-01-2023, 04:01 PM.
    9 PC LCD Monitor
    6 LCD Flat Screen TV
    30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
    10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
    6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
    1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
    25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
    6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
    1 Dell Mother Board
    15 Computer Power Supply
    1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
    2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
    All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
      Here is an of the shelf solution that might work for you if you are going to use it for 5 volts or 3 volts you will need to change the resistor to the optic sensors for it to work correctly

If I remember correctly it is setup for a 12 volt input system
      That's tempting at that price. I already got the IRL7833PBF's ... just a few bucks for a 10 pack on Amazon. If it doesn't work out, I'll definitely use one of those boards. Looks like a fairly simple circuit..

Comment

eccerr0r - just an FYI, I added you to my ignore list. I should have done that a long time ago. I cant see any of your posts anymore so don't bother with me anymore please.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyGoing1 View Post
          You can point out my mistakes all you want, I'll just ignore you from now on. Your criticism doesn't help me at all.
          And likewise you can keep assuming your mistakes are correct, and don't deserve to learn. Which is fine because obviously you don't.

Comment

That's tempting at that price. I already got the IRL7833PBF's ... just a few bucks for a 10 pack on Amazon. If it doesn't work out, I'll definitely use one of those boards. Looks like a fairly simple circuit..
            It is and it is easy to modify the control circuit just by changing the optic sensors input resistor but you need to change both resistors one for each optic sensor because one is for mosfet and the other one is visible indicating LED light
            9 PC LCD Monitor
            6 LCD Flat Screen TV
            1 Dell Mother Board
            15 Computer Power Supply

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
              It is and it is easy to modify the control circuit just by changing the optic sensors input resistor but you need to change both resistors one for each optic sensor because one is for mosfet and the other one is visible indicating LED light
              Would you happen to know or have at the ready ... a schematic for a circuit like that?

Comment

One last time (and I mean for the LAST TIME), we're not in friggin' junior high school here....If you can't post without insults and condescension, just sit on your hands instead. Save this nonsense for the VIP section and out of tech threads.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Would you happen to know or have at the ready ... a schematic for a circuit like that?
                  It is very simple to do there is a dot on the optic sensors and if you look at the board just above it you will see a resistor that is for input side the other resistor is on the output side of the optic sensor

https://content.invisioncic.com/ulti...23284c0728.png

You have to change R10 to 500 to 1000 ohms for it work properly on 3 to 5 volts just make sure that you do not over drive the optic sensor according to the data sheet

R8 only needs to be changed if you are using it for less than 24 volts on the output side

You can use a PWM controller on this setup by the way
                  Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 02-02-2023, 05:50 AM.
                  9 PC LCD Monitor
                  6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                  1 Dell Mother Board
                  15 Computer Power Supply

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                    Thumbs up on 60N02. IRF510 is a flaming heap. or will be one if one tries to use it as is.
                    On the other hand, that otherwise flaming heap and pretty useless power MOSFET can be had for peanuts... and someone over on your side of the pond managed to coax A PAIR of them to run in FM. I had seen ham/CB/AM/SW setups with them before, but, damn...

I could never get that guy's schematic to work fully, he must have had some golden parts with very low gate capacitance, I have burned dozens trying, but I have managed to get a single one to work reliably and built two modules which I cascaded one after the other.

The first gives around 4-5W from 1W in, the second boosts that to 8-12W depending on frequency. It DOES work. Even my radio buddy who's built all the classics with Russian, Motorola, Philips transistors was shocked by it. It's certainly weird, but if you look at it long enough it starts to resemble half of an expensive Motorola power RF FET. That's what it is, actually. He still has that transmitter which we built inside an old VCR case and it still works.
                    Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                    Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                    A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Yes people like IRF510s because they're low capacitance (at least to the insane other mosfets around that can drive higher currents) and thus great for QRP and even higher (maybe 20W or so) transmitters. but for this specific "high current" load and drive limitations (digital logic ics)...

nope.

BTW I'd be kind of worried about accidental impedance mismatches, especially since the transistor isn't specced for RF use like specs for its input/output impedance depending on frequency. Antenna mismatches then causing SWR problems and then damage to the transistor...
                      Last edited by eccerr0r; 02-05-2023, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eccerr0r View Post
                        BTW I'd be kind of worried about accidental impedance mismatches, especially since the transistor isn't specced for RF use like specs for its input/output impedance depending on frequency. Antenna mismatches then causing SWR problems and then damage to the transistor...
                        Yeah. Digital logic was out of the question from the start - it needs a 15V gate voltage for achieving the rated RDS(on), which isn't stellar to begin with.

That transmitter has been working for years. The gain of the IRF510 at commercial FM frequencies is so low that it needs to be lifted into mostly linear mode (and thus efficiency is low) but I have never blown a single one due to SWR issues. Overheating or oscillation on a lower frequency otoh... However they are less than $1 a pop retail in local stores - I could afford to blow two dozen.
                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I'd be surprised you get 1W out of an IRF510 at 3 meters - not sure what kind of gain if any at that frequency since the GBP is only 20MHz, so it may even be a gain loss there...

But for HF you should get some gain at least especially 20 meters or longer wavelength, for sure... enough to get things going and self-destruction if not tuned right.

Comment

Working...
                          X