Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 10 Enterprise - From Ebay...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/324996085177

You find these on ebay all the time. Seller feedback is good in regards to them being legit...but I'm still leary. Anyone with experience with these? Seems quite a few around here are running enterprise; and unless ya'll are stealing the keys from your employers, where are you getting them?
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Windows 10 Enterprise - From Ebay...

The main concern with keys from ebay (aside from them being outright fake, though buying from a well rated seller can reduce the risk of that), is "Cinderella syndrome" (i.e. it turning into a pumpkin at some point) since most volume licenses are purchased on a subscription basis rather than outright there is always the possibility the licenses even if "legitimate" will expire at some point in the future (and by then the seller already got their good feedback, and it is well past the ebay return policy time limit).

Comment

for me, if i pay using paypal, i can dispute the transaction for up to 6 months after purchase due to my country's minimum 6 months "lemon law" for purchased products. not sure about paypal users in the USA and how long u are allowed to dispute paypal transactions.

if u paid by debit/credit card, i know u can do a chargeback on the card within 120 days after purchase.

so dont buy any win10 enterprise license that isnt cheap enough to last for at least 6 months. i know i wont spend more than a few bucks on anything win10 considering how much of a piece of trash that os is.

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
        The main concern with keys from ebay (aside from them being outright fake, though buying from a well rated seller can reduce the risk of that), is "Cinderella syndrome" (i.e. it turning into a pumpkin at some point) since most volume licenses are purchased on a subscription basis rather than outright there is always the possibility the licenses even if "legitimate" will expire at some point in the future (and by then the seller already got their good feedback, and it is well past the ebay return policy time limit).
        That's kind of what I was wonderng about. The seller in the link above is a long-timer, with good feedback....so I'd be a little less concerned there....but there are quite a few that are 'new accounts' with little to no feedback....would even dream of buying from those....

The one above is $250, good for 20 activations; which comes out to ~$12.50 per PC. Was thinking of using it for PC's around the shop and for a few people I know (family friends etc)....but the idea of it expiring / deactivating is a bit unsettling....
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

I took a gamble on these and we'll see. Seller says they're corporate surplus, lifetime of the device they're installed on, up to 20 devices/PC's.

My next question would be do I have to use the in stall media that comes with it; the key married to the version....or would any media work as long as it's Enterprise.

I do like using server as workstations....but I want to use these on a few not-so-tech-savvy family member's systems, including my wife; she's still on Win7...and its time to say goodbye to it....
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            I took a gamble on these and we'll see. Seller says they're corporate surplus, lifetime of the device they're installed on, up to 20 devices/PC's.

My next question would be do I have to use the in stall media that comes with it; the key married to the version....or would any media work as long as it's Enterprise.

I do like using server as workstations....but I want to use these on a few not-so-tech-savvy family member's systems, including my wife; she's still on Win7...and its time to say goodbye to it....
            As far as I'm aware any install media that supports enterprise should work (assuming you have physical keys to type in an it isn't just "backed" into an image), thought note: the "normal" windows 10 install media (what you get from the Microsoft windows 10 media creation tool or that is included with a retail version of windows 10) doesn't include enterprise (just home/pro), but it looks like you can get the Windows 10 enterprise ISOs from here on Microsoft's website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/eval...-10-enterprise

Comment

As far as I'm aware any install media that supports enterprise should work (assuming you have physical keys to type in an it isn't just "backed" into an image), thought note: the "normal" windows 10 install media (what you get from the Microsoft windows 10 media creation tool or that is included with a retail version of windows 10) doesn't include enterprise (just home/pro), but it looks like you can get the Windows 10 enterprise ISOs from here on Microsoft's website: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/eval...-10-enterprise
              Wow, awesome. Thanks!

I'm assuming the keys will work with either; I want to use the LTSC version....which will save me some time denutting it versus the other. Nobody here uses edge or cortana.... I haven't really messed with Enterprise since Win7, and it seems some things have changed since then.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

In all my years I never encountered this one...

Test subject is an optiplex 9020, 4th gen i5 16gb ram uefi boot using the media from the above link; media created with RUFUS. Installed LTSC N. It is connected to the internet, it just loops to this error, doesn't complete the install.

test subject # 2 is an asrock j3455-itx, same result.
                Attached Files
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

Did you use the media creation tool and input the key?

Comment

Originally posted by diif View Post
                    Did you use the media creation tool and input the key?
                    As mentioned, I useed RUFUS. It's the eval, no key. Once installed, you can add the key later (like server eval). I'm leaning more toward media creation. Perhaps RUFUS bungled something up.
                    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                    Team Stats

Comment

Apparently the secret isn't using 'N' mode. Just installing straight Enterprise LTSC, went fine. Although it's telling me the license is expired (eval license). I always thought those were good for 90~180 days from install date....but I guess not.

Installed Enterprise (non LTSC), indeed valid for 90 days; so I'm assuming now that standard enterprise and LTSC keys are not interchangeable.
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Apparently the secret isn't using 'N' mode. Just installing straight Enterprise LTSC, went fine. Although it's telling me the license is expired (eval license). I always thought those were good for 90~180 days from install date....but I guess not.

Installed Enterprise (non LTSC), indeed valid for 90 days; so I'm assuming now that standard enterprise and LTSC keys are not interchangeable.

I used to do lot of installing windows , with legal keys or un-activated , depending on customers wishes , if I may say so ; It's their responsibility in the end . Now in all those installs , 7 , 8 or 10 , I found that N or Home Edition were less programs and functions than Pro , and Pro is less than Enterprise and Ultimate is consequently the whole full pack . That apply on prices too , Home is the lesser , Ultimate is the highest .

Now for your situation TC. , I always knew also that original media installations expire , at some time , due to date .. So theoretically , if your media is installed with a windows clock set to a previous 20xx instead of the time being right now , then you can insert the key with no problem and then adjust time . That method is guaranteed in 7 and previous , and I think it's worth to try on 10 ;

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                          Now for your situation TC. , I always knew also that original media installations expire , at some time , due to date .. So theoretically , if your media is installed with a windows clock set to a previous 20xx instead of the time being right now , then you can insert the key with no problem and then adjust time . That method is guaranteed in 7 and previous , and I think it's worth to try on 10 ;
                          I liked LTSC so far; very Windows Server-like; IE nothing but the essentials. Standard/normal enterprise seems to be just Win10 Pro but telemetry can be completely killed (my ultimate goal with this little experiment); set to 'level 0', which tells M$ what they need to know for updates only. This is fine for those that I will be setting this up for. I'll continue to use server on my stuff. I'll keep the eval on the test machine past the 90 days, I'm curious if the 'rearm' function works on it like Server.

I'm also wondering if keys are paired/married to the version; or if it can be upgraded without the need to get anotehr key...for example if it's installed & KMS'd with 2016 if it'd upgrade to 22H2 and remain activated (or even allow the upgrade). I haven't messed with Enterprise since Win7. New stuff to learn.
                          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                          Team Stats

Comment

I liked LTSC so far; very Windows Server-like; IE nothing but the essentials. Standard/normal enterprise seems to be just Win10 Pro but telemetry can be completely killed (my ultimate goal with this little experiment); set to 'level 0', which tells M$ what they need to know for updates only. This is fine for those that I will be setting this up for. I'll continue to use server on my stuff. I'll keep the eval on the test machine past the 90 days, I'm curious if the 'rearm' function works on it like Server.

I'm also wondering if keys are paired/married to the version; or if it can be upgraded without the need to get anotehr key...for example if it's installed & KMS'd with 2016 if it'd upgrade to 22H2 and remain activated (or even allow the upgrade). I haven't messed with Enterprise since Win7. New stuff to learn.
                            Frankly TC. , 10 came installed already in all my buys , and plus , W10 almost became an automatic install . Previously , most people avoided installing windows due to drivers complexity .. Yet , I remember two cases where 10 was upgraded online with activation intact (loader) ..
                            The problem is when they download some specific updates , ( you know what I mean )..

Comment

Originally posted by jiroy View Post
                              Frankly TC. , 10 came installed already in all my buys , and plus , W10 almost became an automatic install . Previously , most people avoided installing windows due to drivers complexity .. Yet , I remember two cases where 10 was upgraded online with activation intact (loader) ..
                              The problem is when they download some specific updates , ( you know what I mean )..
                              Indeed....but like Server, you can't cross-platform them on the same key; if I install 2016, I can't kick it up to 2022 without buying another license. Not sure if Enterprise is the same way. It's one of the variables in this experiment.
                              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                              Team Stats

Comment

Indeed....but like Server, you can't cross-platform them on the same key; if I install 2016, I can't kick it up to 2022 without buying another license. Not sure if Enterprise is the same way. It's one of the variables in this experiment.
                                Yep , Server is indeed a different world , but I can affirm for Ultimate 100% , since it was always very popular , and frankly , I don't see any reason why the lesser Enterprise would make a problem ... Worth a try Boss .

Comment

In all my years I never encountered this one...
                                  Late to the party, but it should be obvious- the dictator "did that."
                                  LOL...
                                  "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                                  Originally posted by shango066
                                  All style and no substance.
                                  Originally posted by smashstuff30
                                  guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                                  guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

I never saw that screen before. I wonder if you should do some digging in logs to see if Windows did its version of a kernel panic. (stop error/bugcheck)

Windows seems to be beating around the bush with that screen!
                                    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

I'd suggest Enterprise IoT if you can get it. I use it on every PC (except main one in sig, that one is still on 1809 due to a few reasons) and it certainly made a FX-4300 feel quick to use. And that's with a Samsung HD103SI 5.4k RPM drive no less.
                                      Main rig:
                                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                                      Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                                      16GB DDR3-1600
                                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                                      FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                                      120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                                        I'd suggest Enterprise IoT if you can get it. I use it on every PC (except main one in sig, that one is still on 1809 due to a few reasons) and it certainly made a FX-4300 feel quick to use. And that's with a Samsung HD103SI 5.4k RPM drive no less.
                                        I haven't found IoT/LTSC yet beyond evals that won't activate.

This is also another reason I like Server Standard versions of Windows carved into workstation use. They're very IoT/LTSC-ish, very stripped ala nothing installed. The server functions are all off by default and controllable in server manager....and of course Telemetry can be killed off completely....and legit licences aren't hard to get or expensive.... A couple of what's part of this experiment are for people not real tech savvy; so server to them would be a nightmare....
                                        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                                        Team Stats

Comment

Working...
                                        X