Least Problematic AMD/64 Boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Least Problematic AMD/64 Boards

Anybody having either really good or bad luck with a specific board?

After reading all the DOA comments on Newegg about the various name boards for AMD/64, I gave up and built another 462 board for my personal system.

I don't overclock, etc, just want a fast and reliable system for WinXP.

Re: Least Problematic AMD/64 Boards

Almost all of the amd64 boards I've bought were gigabyte, along with a couple others. All of my boards were bought from Newegg.

I bought two Gigabyte GA-K8U-939 boards, which are still going strong. Had an issue with the SATA once, but a chipset driver update fixed that.

My new system is socket AM2, on a Gigabyte GA-M61P-S3, which is probably the best system I've ever had.

For my digital organ project I used a Biostar Geforce 6100-M9. It runs great so far, but could really use a heatsink on the south bridge.

The socket 754 system I built for my Sister uses a Gigabyte GA-K8U, which also seems good.

I think all of the Gigabyte boards have Nichicon HM's, which luckily have been fine so far. Maybe they are new enough that they fixed the problems. The Biostar uses UCC and OST if I recall.

Now for the WORST board I've ever used in my life, the Foxconn 6150K8MA-8EKRS. Unstable beta BIOS, half the time it wouldn't finish the POST, even after I updated the BIOS. And they tell you not to use the Windows utility to update it, even though they give you that utility. Same goes for the TV output. I sent it back and got the Biostar and it has been much better. Kinda weird because I've used Foxconn before with good results.
    Last edited by Maxxarcade; 07-24-2007, 07:52 PM.

Comment

I've bought a couple of Abit Nforce 6100 based boards, both of them socket AM2.. All name brand caps, even in parts of the motherboard that don't need super quality. Also the Epox boards i've bought lately have had nice caps on them too.

Comment

ABit got the snot sued out of them for bad caps, so I'm not surprised they finally got religion.

Bad news, is there is a large number of ABit boards that are DOA to Newegg buyers. I spend a boatload of cash at Newegg, so RMA is painless, but I still don't want the hassle of DOA boards.

I've haven't done the research lately, but am wondering if the best-of-breed has swung back to Duo-Core and Intel chipsets again. At this juncture, I have no brand loyalty, I only want the most stable board.
        Last edited by bgavin; 07-24-2007, 09:50 PM. Reason: edited for typos

Comment

My Biostar T-Force system is still alive and kicking, april 2007 was the 1 year mark
          Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Originally posted by MD Willington
            My Biostar T-Force system is still alive and kicking, april 2007 was the 1 year mark
            Which T-Force model you have? I'm also hunting for a nicely capped Athlon 64 motherboard...I need an AM2 version for my X2.
            “We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful.
            We have done so much, with so little, for so long, we are now qualified to do anything, with nothing.”

Comment

6100-939 model

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

I want to add a south bridge cooler to my Biostar 6100 also. Can't I just find a cooler with the right spacing on the mounting posts and clip it right on? I don't really want to glue a heatsink on the board until the warranty runs out, but damn this thing gets hot

Comment

I use the Zalman coolers because they have an adjustable retention mechanism. I put Arctic Silver paste underneath, and they work well.

Comment

Those fans I put on there were for testing, I have a large fan in my case that blows across them right now.

Yep, quite a few people add the fans as the chipsets get quite warm.

Comment

Working...
                    X