Dell Latitude e6510 Boots Once in UEFI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Latitude e6510 Boots Once in UEFI

Ok, really strange problem here. I have a laptop, a dell latitude e6510. When I go into the bios, I can delete all the efi boot options, replace one, and have it boot. When I shut down the laptop, it will not boot again until I go in, remove the efi boot options, replace it and save.

For some reason, the bios screens also seem a bit on the slow side, I can see the pages draw down the screen. I have tried all manner of setting the efi nvram options from linux and windows, nothing works.

Anyone have any ideas of what to try?

Thanks!

Edit: I just replaced the fan and put new thermal compound on the CPU, I had suspected it was an overheating issue, but it hasn't changed anything.
    Last edited by clearchris; 04-05-2022, 05:11 PM.

Re: Dell Latitude e6510 Boots Once in UEFI

Have you tried updating the BIOS?
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I was considering that, but was concerned that if I did so, it might just die completely.

Do the bios chips get fatigued? Or is corruption more likely? I suspect the last windows update did something...

Comment

Originally posted by clearchris View Post
        Yeah, I was considering that, but was concerned that if I did so, it might just die completely.

Do the bios chips get fatigued? Or is corruption more likely? I suspect the last windows update did something...

Likely just corruption, read: bit rot.
        I had problems with my E6520 refusing to reboot properly. I upgraded the BIOS and the problems went away.

You'll need to use FreeDOS in clean boot mode (spam F5 on boot) to run the BIOS update.
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
          Likely just corruption, read: bit rot.
          I had problems with my E6520 refusing to reboot properly. I upgraded the BIOS and the problems went away.

You'll need to use FreeDOS in clean boot mode (spam F5 on boot) to run the BIOS update.
          Thank you. I'm going to try this once I'm at a place where I can reboot and be without my computer for a while should things go wrong... I have a spare small partition, I might just throw freedos on there for grins.

Comment

Working...
          X