Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windows Vista Pretty Much Sucks

Originally posted by bgavin View Post
    I spent 4 hours on the Home Basic edition. What a pig. It is incompatible with a wide variety of stuff, plus slow as hell.

AMD 3200/64 processor, Dell E-series box. Not enough memory at 512mb, but still in the black if opening a web browser.

No Outlook Express
    Replacement "Windows Mail" will import some OE files, not others.
    No NTBackup
    Built in Backup/Restore will not read NTBackup BKF files.
    Won't install Quicken 2005 Deluxe at all
    Will install Quicken 2005 Basic, but you have to click the data file first.
    Refuses McAfee Enterprise 8.0i
    Installs McAfee Enterprise 8.5i OK
    Office Updates not supported. You must opt-in "Window Updater" instead.

And the most irritating thing is, just like the Mac commercial, it asks your permission for EVERY DAMN THING it does. Truly amazing. I equate this piece of shit with New Coke.

I figure when the Mac will run MS Office and Quickbooks Pro, flawlessly, it is gonna beat Windows ass. FTR, I am not a Mac fan (nor disparager).
    Well i have to agree with you; i had Win Vista installed on my HP that was installed from HP dealer on my HP DV-5 1254US,it was so bad that i just erased it installed Ubuntu over it ,but at some time, i wanted win 10 preview so i re-installed win vista sp2 from this ISO, link bellow; then upgraded to win 7,
    meanwhile the little time i used Win Vista sp2 it was so fast and snappy,i really liked it,it was as fast as win 7 and win 10,
    if you want win vista and you have a legit key than try this one ISO and you will see ,what i'm talking about.

http://getintopc.com/softwares/opera...32-bit-64-bit/

Comment

Originally posted by ljintexas View Post
      8 is waaaaay better than Vista or XP..It will run on a single core pentium machine with 1 GB of ram...smoothly.
      So will Vista after SP2. I'd take vista any day over 8/8.1. Looking back, Vista was very much bumrapped, as much as it pains me to admit this. At the time of its release, the vast majorities were still using P3's and early netbust P4's, all of which did not have the power to run it.... By the time W7 came around and vista SP2, the hardware had caught up.

Theres no magic, no updates, no new hardware, no tomfoolery that will ever make the metro interface appealing or practical....so yes, Vista wins in a heartbeat over the tiled turd.
      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
      Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
      http://folding.stanford.edu/
      Team : 49813
      Join in!!
      Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
        So will Vista after SP2. I'd take vista any day over 8/8.1. Looking back, Vista was very much bumrapped, as much as it pains me to admit this.
        I just worked on a Vista machine, and you're right, after SP2 it's exactly the same as 7 minus some features, as far as I'm concerned. I think the acceptance of 7 was just a phenomenon of mass buyers' rationalizations.

I'll have no choice but to go to 10 eventually. The acceleration in IE is something that I need, because the other browsers just can't seem to keep up (even chromium!). IE 11 in Windows 7 doesn't have this acceleration, only 8+.

Unfortunately, Intel decided not to release an updated graphics driver for the GM45/GS45/GL40 series integrated graphics, fortunately however, Microsoft has a WDDM 1.1 driver. I wonder if it will work well with that. It's really starting to choke in Windows 7.
        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Even Vista runs okay on a single core. It's mainly low RAM and weak GPU that seem to slow it down. I'm hoping that Windows 10 is decent, because 8 will never be my main OS. If 10 sucks, then I guess I better start learning more about Linux

The acceleration in IE is something that I need
          What acceleration are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
            RJARRRPCGP, did you really have to dig up a nearly 5-year old thread to post that comment? Like really

And yes, I'll take Vista over the 8 tiles DRM crap stuff.
            That was because of the slowness quote.
            ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
              What acceleration are you referring to?
              HTML5 video acceleration, specifically. IE's acceleration is leaps and bounds faster than any other browser. But it has to be IE11 in Windows 8+. Microsoft conveniently omitted this feature from IE11 on Windows 7.

I don't mind flash, but it doesn't support 60fps AFAIK, and while my laptop can handle it, even at 1080p, it has to work hard. From what I've read, it should handle 60fps 1080p like a breeze on the newer OS.
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
                HTML5 video acceleration, specifically. IE's acceleration is leaps and bounds faster than any other browser. But it has to be IE11 in Windows 8+. Microsoft conveniently omitted this feature from IE11 on Windows 7.

I don't mind flash, but it doesn't support 60fps AFAIK, and while my laptop can handle it, even at 1080p, it has to work hard. From what I've read, it should handle 60fps 1080p like a breeze on the newer OS.
                IE? i never use IE,it sucks;Google Chrome, even in Win 10 is fantastic,better then any other browser by a long shot;i feel protected with it, some people say,that Chrome spies,for me that's bull,90 % of users all over use Chrome.
                Try to run IE in some Sites such as firstrowsports without any virus and malware protection, as i do in Chrome and you will see what i'm talking about.
                Last edited by ivtec; 02-26-2015, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Apart from the tiles in win8 and the schizophrenic way it behaves, 8.1 has some very nice features. There are some annoying ones too like the charms bar. Not enough to make me upgrade from 7 though.

Pwn2Own is only a few weeks away, all of the browsers got compromised last year i wonder how they fair this year.

Comment

Vista

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    So will Vista after SP2. I'd take vista any day over 8/8.1. Looking back, Vista was very much bumrapped, as much as it pains me to admit this. At the time of its release, the vast majorities were still using P3's and early netbust P4's, all of which did not have the power to run it.... By the time W7 came around and vista SP2, the hardware had caught up.

Theres no magic, no updates, no new hardware, no tomfoolery that will ever make the metro interface appealing or practical....so yes, Vista wins in a heartbeat over the tiled turd.
                    /\ This. The single biggest problem with Vista overall is actually none other than bad press. If Windows 10 turns out to be as awful looking as it does in the latest preview, people might just be sticking with Vista (and 7 and XP and even 7) for some time yet.

Comment

Re: Vista

Originally posted by SurrealMustard View Post
                      /\ This. The single biggest problem with Vista overall is actually none other than bad press. If Windows 10 turns out to be as awful looking as it does in the latest preview, people might just be sticking with Vista (and 7 and XP and even 7) for some time yet.
                      Yea, but the problem with Vista's bad press was that it was groupthink bad press. So those steering the negative reviews then praised Windows 7 for no apparent reason, considering that they're practically identical.

Something happened after Microsoft became a behemoth of a corporation... People and their sisters started to invest in the stock. When such a large portion of the population is so heavily vested in a single corporate entity, the government has a tendency to bail out said entity. Microsoft has gone from creating competitive products that were famous because they were special, to creating products that are special because they're (in)famous.

Comment

Microsoft has gone from creating competitive products that were famous because they were special, to creating products that are special because they're (in)famous.
                        Like in the early 90's, when they screwed, cheated, and backstabbed IBM?
                        And the entire win98/IE "problem?"

Vistrash/H8/xbone/ten are simply snowflakes in the storm. This isn't some big revelation; it's 25 years of "business as usual." M$ is arrogant since people have found alternatives. DOCx didn't happen in a vacuum- that format was invented to dump incompatible files, forcing people to upgrade. And, more importantly, to break the non-m$ office suites.

Anyone acting like "it all started" with vista, and that m$ was squeaky clean til then, is an insane sheepish fool.

Oh, and off the record, 8 is absolute horseshit. It's so bad, calling it that is insulting to horses...
                        "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                        Originally posted by shango066
                        All style and no substance.
                        Originally posted by smashstuff30
                        guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                        guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post
                          Like in the early 90's, when they screwed, cheated, and backstabbed IBM?
                          And the entire win98/IE "problem?"

Or like when they changed the API of Windows 95 two weeks before its release, rendering all their competitors' products worthless...

What do you think about Linux and systemd now? Seems like they're selling out. Still, I'd like to give the new Kubuntu a try with the new fully GPU accelerated KDE beta...

Comment

Or like when they changed the API of Windows 95 two weeks before its release, rendering all their competitors' products worthless...
                            Like all the "Made for Windows 95" stuff that never worked right? And was still giving trouble several years after?

I once played with the original '95 upgrade- the one that came on 25 floppies. Or whatever there were, since there were times those stupid disks went bad and you had to find another copy of "W95INST14" (or whichever).

And never-you-play with autoexec and config.sys in that original release, lest something "mysteriously broke and you were better off reinstalling DOS 6.22 and Win3.1.

The first release of 95 was bad, 95B (aka- OSR2) is what should've been released instead. It wasn't that bad for what it was- finally decent "DOS" under windows for those old games, devices/drivers worked, and support for FAT32!

People said things about winME and even I have to say that shoving a form of NT WDM into old win32 was a strange idea. 98SE did as well, but ME took it to the extreme. So much so that it seemed to push the limits of stability, and patience of those troubleshooting it.

When it worked, it was sort of like 98SE with the dialogs of win2k. Also, the badcap problem was fully materializing at the time- how much of it was really ME?

I had an ME system. A soyo 5EH5 with a K6-3 450 OC'd to ~575. It did the usual back in the day. Duke3d/Nukem2, quake2 (for testing/benching- not a quake fan), MIDI orchestrator, dreamstation, cool edit '96/2k/pro, even the old Printmaster Gold that came with the older Canon printers. Etc, etc.

Til those stupid "Wendell" caps blew...

What do you think about Linux and systemd now? Seems like they're selling out. Still, I'd like to give the new Kubuntu a try with the new fully GPU accelerated KDE beta...
                            I'll sum that up succinctly: The penguin is getting fat. Very fat.
                            And ubuntu is morbidly obese.

Oh, and can I have, in 2015, of all things, a uniform dialog between programs?? Please? What's the problem?? 20 different programs, all with different file-open-save dialogs.
                            "pokemon go... to hell!"

EOL it...
                            Originally posted by shango066
                            All style and no substance.
                            Originally posted by smashstuff30
                            guilty,guilty,guilty,guilty!
                            guilty of being cheap-made!

Comment

Originally posted by kaboom View Post

The first release of 95 was bad, 95B (aka- OSR2) is what should've been released instead. It wasn't that bad for what it was- finally decent "DOS" under windows for those old games, devices/drivers worked, and support for FAT32!
                              I so agree!
                              ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

The penguin IS getting fat. No wonder with system software updates EVERY DAMN DAY. And those are core Linux software and kernel updates and they take longer and longer to download and install each time.

Comment

Working...
                                X