X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soltek SL-75DRV5

Hi

From a UK newbie member - great site. Info has helped already - may
    'just' use the PC until it expires... I wanted to share information with your members, if it can help anyone else. re. SOLTEK board

I didn't know I had any problems until opened up case to put in more memory
    nor did I know about 'bad cap' issues. Wow. what a story .. . I'm using and support PC's from 'brand new' up to about 8 yrs old. (I'm not a commercial repairer - I support a small charity). I've just looked at about a dozen PC's - all perfectly fine except the one I use ! At least I know others are ok (mainly Dell's , Compaq's and e machine 330's are all physically/visually perfect)

I couldn't see any other post for this particular board
    PC / Board built Feb 2002 a Soltek SL-75DRV5

Caps are GSC (Mauve/Gold) LE 105 (degree C ?) TIND ?
    2200uf - 9 on board in 3 clusters of 3 , 4 and 2. Those 4 and 2 close to CPU are in very bad condition (i.e. their tops - bases are not leaking) the other 3 'look' fine.

PC working and no errors / issues - could have been in this condition for years. Comments welcomed.

Not viable to repair IMHO as had nearly 5 years good life. Hacks me off as don't like throwing 'good' working stuff away. Caught between a rock and a hard place. Sense must prevail though.

All the best to yourselves .

If board / PC less than 2 yrs - I would have attempted a 'recap'.

Gordon
    Attached Files
    Last edited by phab49; 06-20-2007, 07:49 AM. Reason: correction

Re: Soltek SL-75DRV5

Just recap it. Spend a few bucks and have that good working board for another 5 years.
    Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

I would say that it is worth it, since it does not cost much to do and it is not like you really loose that much by trying. That machine is still fairly good and can be used for a number of years more and still be useful.

Comment

I concur! why toss it out? it's got more milage yet if you recap it, and since you do technical support for a charity the money saved from a PC overhaul/upgrade could be put to better use eh?

FWIW I recapped a Soltek SL-75KAV and it's still in use, floating around in cyberspace somewhere (sold it on eBay)
        Last edited by tazwegion; 06-21-2007, 10:36 AM.
        Viva LA Retro!

Comment

That's the exact same board that I replaced 12 caps on. It's been running in my game server ever since.

Comment

If soltek was still in the mainboard business they'd send you free Panasonic caps to fix it...
            Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

I'm planning on recapping my SL-75DRV2 (it's older than your board) w/Athlon XP 1700+. One day I was having reboot problems about 2 months ago and found a couple of those caps burst. Being the economic guy that I am, I'm chosing not to spend a couple hundred for a new system as my system has run perfectly since I first put it together (with the exception of the bad caps).

Comment

It's worth recapping the board!

Soltek boards run ROCK STABLE.
                (despite being covered in poor quality caps that usually need replacing)

It's a true shame that they don't make boards anymore!

Comment

Recapped one of these boards today, but am having problems with it now the new caps are installed...

I used my pyropen, so there should be no issues with static.

Anyhow - the board starts normally.

But after 5 sec it continually resets like someone is pressing the reset button every second.

I checked all the new panasonic caps and they all have correct polarity.

I am using 2200uF 6.3V Panasonic FJ
                  and 1500uF 16V Rubycon MBZ

Any ideas?
                  Last edited by paulpsomiadis; 12-28-2007, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Double check your solder joints and check your PSU caps.

Comment

Working...
                    X