did i pull the foil tube out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

did i pull the foil tube out?

I think I pulled the foil tube out while trying to desolder a 12x19mm cap. There is a little metal boot on one leg of the capacitor.

This is not a motherboard but a spr4232 TV PSU.

DAMMNIT.

Re: did i pull the foil tube out?

If it is the power supply, chances are it is single layer. You most likely just have a blob of solder on the leg of the capacitor shaped like the hole. A picture would be helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
      If it is the power supply, chances are it is single layer. You most likely just have a blob of solder on the leg of the capacitor shaped like the hole. A picture would be helpful.
      Sorry, here
      Attached Files

Comment

looks like solder.
        heat it with your iron if it melts the board is fine.
        If you are talking about the cap it is fine legs are same length.

from the pictures the board looks intact cleaning the solder out will give more information.

the board is double layer construction and will be fine if missing the hole plating.
        My pc
        CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
        MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
        RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
        PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
        GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Originally posted by joshnz View Post
          looks like solder.
          heat it with your iron if it melts the board is fine.
          If you are talking about the cap it is fine legs are same length.

from the pictures the board looks intact cleaning the solder out will give more information.

the board is double layer construction and will be fine if missing the hole plating.
          That little boot thing won't melt. Is the little boot on the cap leg the hole plating?

Comment

It could be.. although I have had similar shapes form several times when pulling components and it was just solder. I don't know what causes it.
            Also the board still shows a shiny ring, if the pad had lifted you would see bare fiberglass. I think it's OK.

In any case, it's on the positive lead, and like joshnz pointed out, only the bottom side of those pads are connected there for those capacitors, so you don't really have to worry even if it did lift.

The same can not be said for the entire board, though! If you did lift a pad on a double sided board, you may need to solder the lead on both sides when replacing the component, depending on where the traces go. This is sometimes very hard, especially if the pad is under a component which sits flush with the board. Best to avoid it!
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Well if it's solder, it's like cast from the shape of the hole.

Comment

If it won't melt it should pull off when solder is melted.

Looking at it closer there is no trace connected to that side of the capacitor so will be no issue when re installing new on or same one with the remains or the hole plating removed from it.

to stop it happening in the future a little longer heating sometimes helps.
                My pc
                CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
                MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
                RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
                PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
                GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

Originally posted by rustytierod View Post
                  That little boot thing won't melt. Is the little boot on the cap leg the hole plating?
                  Is your soldering iron tip tarnished? It should be shiny, not dull looking. If it is dull, then there is a layer of oxidation which is preventing there from being enough heat transfer to the solder on the capacitor leg.

And yes, it does look like solder to me also. I've pulled the legs partly out of some caps before (cheap caps are very easy to do it on). There will be a little metal "boot" there, it just goes down into the capacitor itself. If you pull it out further, you will get the flat tab of the lead wire. Then you know the cap is shot, as you have torn off the foil inside. On your capacitor, it is more like a ring shape. That leads me to think that you just have solder there.
                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                  X