Comment

Re: The Hall of Shame - Badcaps Photo Montage

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
      250W max if you are lucky!
      My PSU i believe would not be able to withstand a load of 1w hahaha
      Gaming pc:
      nVidia RTX 3080 TI, Corsair RM750I.
      Workshop PC:
      Intel core i5 8400, Intel SSD 256GB, nvidia gt1030, asus b365-a.
      Server:

Comment

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
        Power supply brand Airis with badcap canicon low ESR. (Capacitor, SC and GL Quality Unknown):

SC capacitor:

Bye
        Quality: TRASH!
        Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
        RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
        Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
        - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
        - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
        - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
        - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

That isn't even that bad of a PSU. It's just really old and uses junk caps.

Comment

TechGeek: Useful posts not found...

Comment

Originally posted by TechGeek View Post
              Quality: TRASH!
              Hahahahahahahaha . Capacitor low Qulity, Canicrap High ESR, GLtrash, CScrap .

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
              That isn't even that bad of a PSU. It's just really old and uses junk caps.
              this Airis is very poor quality. A few years ago (2005) I had an equal to this, and the psu is garbage, because one day explode and shutdown the computer (2006).
              The KME, I do not know his quality, but the Airis the quality is horrible.
              Bye, sorry my bad english .
              Gaming pc:
              Workshop PC:
              Server:

Comment

Your English is fine.

I know it's overrated and not the best. But with new caps and maybe a rectifier upgrade, I bet you it could easily do 250W in spec. And the SG6105 chip is better than the standard single TL494 half bridge unit. But I know that most people don't want to invest the time or parts to help such a PSU, which I understand.

Comment

Your English is fine.

I know it's overrated and not the best. But with new caps and maybe a rectifier upgrade, I bet you it could easily do 250W in spec. And the SG6105 chip is better than the standard single TL494 half bridge unit. But I know that most people don't want to invest the time or parts to help such a PSU, which I understand.
                  I will, I have several quality capacitors, by get her back not i lose anything.
                  If it works, I will publish some photo the recapping.
                  did not know that was able to deliver 250w. i thought the PSU generic did not expect too much of it, but I was wrong.
                  Thank You
                  Bye
                  250W max if you are lucky!
                  sorry, I was wrong, for I have been lucky if delivery 250w therefore worth repairing.
                  I thought you said in sarcasm mode.
                  Bye, thank You.
                  Last edited by kevin!; 08-05-2015, 05:24 PM.
                  Gaming pc:
                  Workshop PC:
                  Server:

Comment

Oh, very cool! I really like the size of the PI coil on the 12V rail. Have you checked to see what the specifications are on the silicon on the primary and secondary heatsinks? With good enough secondary silicon, you can even get 300W continuous out of a 33 transformer, as long as the fan moves good air. You're on 230V, which helps.

Comment

Oh, very cool! I really like the size of the PI coil on the 12V rail. Have you checked to see what the specifications are on the silicon on the primary and secondary heatsinks? With good enough secondary silicon, you can even get 300W continuous out of a 33 transformer, as long as the fan moves good air. You're on 230V, which helps.
                      not quite understand, sorry
                      You mean the mosfets?

I tried to look at the specifications, but I can not see it because it's all covered by the components.
                      Gaming pc:
                      Workshop PC:
                      Server:

Comment

The main transistors on the primary heatsink, and the rectifiers on the second heatsink

Comment

The main transistors on the primary heatsink, and the rectifiers on the second heatsink
                          Here you go:
                          Primary Heatsink (input zone): 2x d13009k, 1x stp20nm60fp
                          Second heatsink: (output zone) 2x FR1003G, 2x mospec s15d40.
                          I hope that this good, I hard to read, with all bothering components XD.
                          Bye .
                          Last edited by kevin!; 08-06-2015, 03:45 PM. Reason: Rectified the model of transistors.
                          Gaming pc:
                          Workshop PC:
                          Server:

Comment

2x 408 FR10036

Are you sure? Googling it returns nothing.

Comment

2x 408 FR10036

Are you sure? Googling it returns nothing.
                              FR1003G (without 408), rectified. I read it wrong, sorry.
                              Last edited by kevin!; 08-06-2015, 03:44 PM.
                              Gaming pc:
                              Workshop PC:
                              Server:

Comment

Primary side sounds good. I'm guessing the two 10A are on 12V, and the 5V + 3.3V both get a 15A rectifier. Sounds pretty weak, it'd definitely need some better rectifiers on the secondary to do 250W continuous, safely. It could probably do 250W as is but would run really hot.

Comment

Primary side sounds good. I'm guessing the two 10A are on 12V, and the 5V + 3.3V both get a 15A rectifier. Sounds pretty weak, it'd definitely need some better rectifiers on the secondary to do 250W continuous, safely. It could probably do 250W as is but would run really hot.
                                  Ok thanks for the information .
                                  When I have time I'll fix it.
                                  Bye
                                  Last edited by kevin!; 08-08-2015, 05:51 PM.
                                  Gaming pc:
                                  Workshop PC:
                                  Server:

Comment

How does the solder side look? What kind of fan does it use? Do you have a cpacitance/ESR meter?

Comment

How does the solder side look? What kind of fan does it use? Do you have a cpacitance/ESR meter?
                                      No, I have no ESR/capacitance meter

The welds appear well, but I leave photo:

And fan:

The fan is normally one of 8cm. Not if it's good.
                                      Bye
                                      Gaming pc:
                                      Workshop PC:
                                      Server:

Comment

Originally posted by kevin! View Post
                                        No, I have no ESR/capacitance meter

The welds appear well, but I leave photo:

And fan:

The fan is normally one of 8cm. Not if it's good.

(8 cm fan is too small to remove the large amount of heat the PSU will generate.Something larger or at least a better brand will last more)

Bye

La soldadura parece bien, no de la calidad de marcas Delta o Seasonic pero esta decente.
                                        (The soldering looks good, not likes the quality of delta or seasonic ,but still decent)

Un ventilador de 8cm me parece un poco chiquito para remover el calor que va a generar el PSU. Si fuera algo mas grande o por lo menos otra marca que esa duraria mas.

Pero yo lo repararia por lo menos para 200-250 vatios
                                        (Still i would fix it for at least 200-250 watts)

(Y que viva España)
                                        Yes i love Nichicon MUSE Audio Capacitors...they would look awesome all over any motherboard

Comment

My LG XC12 micro-hifi system was acting weird lately (sound from only one speaker) so I opened it to check. Found these little two Honsing gems inside its psu.

One is obvious, the other is bulging also badly on top and on the circumference. Weird thing is I haven't found anywhere the missing cap body, and the unit didn't seem to be opened before, still had paint on some of the screws
                                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                          X