Comment

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
      Importing distributors:
      - arrange imports from foreign countries
      - arrange paperwork, tax and other documents
      - usually prepare marketing material
      - sell products to retailers/other distributors
      - handle certification and safety testing (though often just passing on fake documents from China)
      - handle recalls/returns (often by going bankrupt and avoiding the problem altogether)
      You should also add
      - controlling manufacturing quality
      - pushing manufacturer into making changes to the thing

So they either make quality revision of products I find unsatisfying, or I'll order it under name I pick. I have no problem with selling it under Huntkey's name, they already have the 80+ certifications, but I won't be selling crap. So far it seems they listen, so I hope it will come to that in future as well.

Here people are bombarding me with demand for <=300W 80+ Gold (or better) PSUs and I just like that find that Huntkey made such thing a year ago and is not making it anymore. WTF? Almost nobody else even has such thing and they stop making it? Oh dear…well, I can order custom batch of 300 pcs minimum but I need sample first to check it. And also the cash, so I'll stick with the FX500SE to start with…
      Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
      Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
        They each read FSW09N90AG. Can't find much info on them
        FSW is the abbreviation of the manufacturer. I can't find anything on any electronics manufacturer that would correspond to FSW, probably a very small chinese company. Huntkey likes using lot of small suppliers as Huntkey is very large and therefore is automatically the companies largest customer. That way Huntkey essentially has control over that company as they wouldn't want to loose most of their business.

If you search for just 09N90 you should come up with some results. Here is one that should be similar:

http://www.alldatasheet.net/datashee...M09N90CGW.html

So according to that it very well could be two transistor forward, as those are not BJT's.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
          Who is their US distributor?
          Best Buy maybe? Their "Dynex" and "Rocketfish" PSUs are 100% Huntkey.

Comment

Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
            FSW is the abbreviation of the manufacturer. I can't find anything on any electronics manufacturer that would correspond to FSW, probably a very small chinese company. Huntkey likes using lot of small suppliers as Huntkey is very large and therefore is automatically the companies largest customer. That way Huntkey essentially has control over that company as they wouldn't want to loose most of their business.

If you search for just 09N90 you should come up with some results. Here is one that should be similar:

http://www.alldatasheet.net/datashee...M09N90CGW.html

So according to that it very well could be two transistor forward, as those are not BJT's.
            That makes sense. Smart on their move. Wow, if they're really only 7.6A that seems pretty low for a To-247 FET or BJT
            Originally posted by cheapie View Post
            Best Buy maybe? Their "Dynex" and "Rocketfish" PSUs are 100% Huntkey.
            I think shovenose was responding to this:
            One thing about Huntkey guys, I've managed to push them into making second revision of their flagship FX500SE, 500W 80 PLUS Platinum PSU. They should be now using completely japanese caps only.

I should get a sample in next weeks, probably as the only one in central Europe (maybe even whole Europe). If all goes well and I'll like them, I will hopefully become their ditributor in Central Europe.

I'll than make a thread on forums and if anybody will also be interested, we can establish some cooperation than…

Comment

emphasis on the last 2.
              Originally posted by tom66 View Post
              Importing distributors:
              - arrange imports from foreign countries
              - arrange paperwork, tax and other documents
              - usually prepare marketing material
              - sell products to retailers/other distributors
              - handle certification and safety testing (though often just passing on fake documents from China)
              - handle recalls/returns (often by going bankrupt and avoiding the problem altogether)

Comment

Liteon PS-5251-08 250W, taken out of a HP desktop. Has only been in operation for less than 500 hours despite being 3 years old. No visible sign of damage.

However the system it was powering would intermittently fail to POST. It would happen sometimes for a few days, sometimes giving POST beep codes, and at other times be fine for weeks. Problem has not come back after replacing the PSU with a Delta ActivePower 400W unit (several weeks ago). System is only a Pentium Dual Core (65W) with integrated graphics and 1 HDD, so should not have been an issue of insufficient power.

Is this a good PSU? Any idea if the problem was due to an issue with the PSU?
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tleu8472 View Post
                  Liteon PS-5251-08 250W, taken out of a HP desktop. Has only been in operation for less than 500 hours despite being 3 years old. No visible sign of damage.

However the system it was powering would intermittently fail to POST. It would happen sometimes for a few days, sometimes giving POST beep codes, and at other times be fine for weeks. Problem has not come back after replacing the PSU with a Delta ActivePower 400W unit (several weeks ago). System is only a Pentium Dual Core (65W) with integrated graphics and 1 HDD, so should not have been an issue of insufficient power.

Is this a good PSU? Any idea if the problem was due to an issue with the PSU?
                  Replace the capacitors, and check for bad solder joints.

That one is a keeper, note how it has a 7-pin DIP chip controlling the 5v standby! (No finnicky two-transistor self oscillating circuit, which could blow up and destroy the motherboard)
                  Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

If the +5V Stby works a usual suspect is the start-up 'lytic for the PWM.
                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by tleu8472 View Post
                      Has only been in operation for less than 500 hours despite being 3 years old.
                      Some capacitors are so bad they fail just sitting there doing nothing. But I wouldn't expect LiteOn to use ones that bad.
                      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                      -David VanHorn

Comment

Got an old Enermax EG301P-V here. Paid $2.50 for it. For being made in 2001 I'm very impressed by this PSU.... It looks to be a single transistor forward design. It has a single Toshiba FET rated at 7A (It's a K2746) There's a slot on the other side of it, worth adding another?? Unfortunately it uses a 2 transistor 5VSB circuit. (Interesting where they placed the 5VSB circuit) Full input filter with 2 MOV's. 470uF input caps seems a little low for this design

That 8 pin chip there on the primary is a Motorola UC3842BN. I'm disappointed by the size of the transformer but then again it should be more efficient than a half bridge unit

On the secondary it has a 30A schottky for all the rails. An ST STPS30L40CW on the 5V and 3.3V (There is a spot for another schottky on both these rails) on the 12V it has a Shindengen Electric S30SC4M shottky. Is it worth adding shottky's to the 3.3V and 5V rail to increase efficiency?

As you can see, an ST LM339N comparator on the secondary. Love the nice Ball Bearing Globe Fan than spins very well still and plenty of oil on the bearing. Surprised to see none of the caps bulging too!

I was thinking of soldering on some SATA cables and a 4 pin for the main motherboard connector. What do you guys think of this thing?
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Pentium4; 07-06-2013, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Well, at 11-12 years old, I'd suggest replacing all the lytics - PW, LXZ, or FC would be good choices for the O/P caps. You could probably match the case size of the I/P lytics and end up with 560uF or 680uF parts. The -52 material O/P inductor toroid, 2SK2746 MOSFET switch and On Semiconductor (probably using Motorola-designed silicon) UC3842 all suggest a switch frequency above 50KHz. Nice heatsinks. If it would be useful to you it looks well worth refurbishing.
                          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                            Well, at 11-12 years old, I'd suggest replacing all the lytics - PW, LXZ, or FC would be good choices for the O/P caps. You could probably match the case size of the I/P lytics and end up with 560uF or 680uF parts. The -52 material O/P inductor toroid, 2SK2746 MOSFET switch and On Semiconductor (probably using Motorola-designed silicon) UC3842 all suggest a switch frequency above 50KHz. Nice heatsinks. If it would be useful to you it looks well worth refurbishing.
                            Thanks for the reply Pete. yes, all the lytics are going. They served their purpose well but I can't trust them anymore. I have tons of PW, KY, and ZLH on hand Yeah I love the style of heatsinks, tons of metal to air contact I was planning on putting it in an old S478 computer which I think would be perfect

Comment

fsp 460.
                              the teapo sek were all open,high esr,and leaking out the bottom.
                              somehow lost the before pics.
                              probably the most substantial 400-500w unit i have seen.
                              Attached Files

Comment

At least it fits 12.5mm caps. I've seen some FSPs pull an Anrec and use 10mm parts, so the Panny FMs wouldn't be an option.
                                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

The very same PSU was reviewed at X-bit labs some 8 years ago. Among the Teapo SEKs they fit a Teapo SX (or SD?) and some Teapo SCs in that particular revision of the PSU. It performs quite well in X-bit labs' tests but then I believe those tests are pretty lax to begin with...

I don't think it's a great idea to use general purpose capacitors on the output filter of a 460W unit, even if they're 2200uF-4700uF.

2SK2746 MOSFET switch
                                  Do you mean that MOSFETs operate ideally at switching frequencies above 50KHz? Looking at the datasheet, Toshiba 2SK2746 doesn't look impressive but numbers don't always tell the story of course. I think more realistically the PSU above has a limit of 250W.
                                  Last edited by Wester547; 07-06-2013, 11:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wester547 View Post
                                    Do you mean that MOSFETs operate ideally at switching frequencies above 50KHz? Looking at the datasheet, Toshiba 2SK2746 doesn't look impressive but numbers don't always tell the story of course.
                                    No, just that for a 20KHz-30KHz switching frequency a MOSFET isn't really needed. And the -52 core material isn't really needed in that frequency range. Just guessing based on the strengths of the parts.

I'm not that familiar with the JP caps, but the KY series might be overkill, and the FM series might even cause a stability issue.
                                    PeteS in CA

Comment

That's a beautiful FSP unit, nice recap job too. Just curious, what brand fan did they use in that unit?

Regarding that Toshiba FET, 7A is not that much at all. I ran it at 160W for an hour and the primary heatsink was surprisingly cool (88F), so it seems to be doing its job. I will load it higher later. Are you thinking that the KY caps will have too low of ESR? I don't have any Panny FM but I do have FC which are fairly similar, most of them are 1-47uF 50V caps though

Comment

31*C is a surprising feat, but it would also depend on how responsive the fan is to the PSU's heat output as a whole (as well as the room temperature). Usually (at least as far as MOSFETs go) the quality of switcher is determined by their ON resistance (how much heat they waste, lower is better), their maximum power dissipation, how fast they switch on and off, specifications like RG, etc and less by the current rating (though since we're on the subject, bipolar transistors can fit more current into a smaller die and MOSFETs happen to be more voltage driven). It could just be the fact that the secondary is rather overspec'd with low VF schottkys which in turn improves the efficiency of the primary side. Since you asked about adding another schottky in parallel to increase efficiency, I think the voltage drops of the rectifiers by themselves are already low enough to be alright as is.

Comment

Yeah I guess you are right about not needing to add schottky's in parallel. The secondary is indeed overspec'd a little. A little worried about the size of the transformer but I was only planning on using it in a ~110W system so I guess I will just recap it What's interesting is the same model number PSU on Newegg's old link has 22A on the 12V http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817103463

But for curiosity's sake I'm curious what would happen first, if this thing was loaded heavily if the FET would blow or if the transformer would saturate. Might even do both and blow the FET when then transformer saturates

Edit: What I just realized, I knew this thing looked familiar....it looks almost identical to the one in the Wikipedia article "Switched-mode power supply" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switch...e_power_supply
                                          Last edited by Pentium4; 07-07-2013, 03:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X