This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

My friend said he'd give me $40 for a reliable 300W PSU, so I grabbed this Pixxo out of the bin at work and recapped it. Can't figure out the OEM. It had Asia X capacitors, replaced them with good parts but I used 680uF Fhy on the primary. Sorry I didn't snap a pic but this PSU implements the Viper22A. I think this will work well for him. Double forward with 14A FET's, 30A on the minor rails and what looks like two 12V rails with OCP, each schottky at 20A. has a really quiet fan. Also, I added that wimpy heatsink to the bridge rectifier, just because it was lying around
    Attached Files

Comment

Looks very nice! Well done.

Comment

Looks good for 300W, especially if it has a 120mm fan. 680uF may be conservative as I/P lytics, but the O/P caps might appreciate it.
        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
          Looks very nice! Well done.
          Thank you
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
          Looks good for 300W, especially if it has a 120mm fan. 680uF may be conservative as I/P lytics, but the O/P caps might appreciate it.
          It does have a 120mm fan, the brand is "Dong Guan Zhan Yu Industrial Company Limited" 12V @ 0.13A. But it's well oiled and surprisingly quiet, so I left it. I too thought 680uF on the input was a little generous but they only read 570uF so I assumed they were exaggerated 560's

Comment

I like simple reliable designs. And this PSU looks like one. No SMDs on the underside, too - very good! (IMO)

Comment

Could use some heatshrink on the fuse and thermistor. You also forgot to add veristors, there are positions between the caps (that means they are on the potential between the caps, half the final DC voltage). Besides that seems OK for 300 W
              Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
              Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Most Pixxo's are built by Key Mouse (K-MEX) but the ZU markings on the transformer and choice of Asia-X caps makes me thing Zumax, which is a lower-end subsidy of Topower.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  I like simple reliable designs. And this PSU looks like one. No SMDs on the underside, too - very good! (IMO)
                  It does look pretty reliable, and always glad to see no 2 transistor 5VSB The soldering looks pretty good as well for a low end unit.
                  Originally posted by Behemot View Post
                  Could use some heatshrink on the fuse and thermistor. You also forgot to add veristors, there are positions between the caps (that means they are on the potential between the caps, half the final DC voltage). Besides that seems OK for 300 W
                  I did see that. kaboom was saying something about having to add resistors in series with the varistors??
                  Originally posted by 370forlife View Post
                  Most Pixxo's are built by Key Mouse (K-MEX) but the ZU markings on the transformer and choice of Asia-X caps makes me thing Zumax, which is a lower-end subsidy of Topower.
                  I thought Zumax just rebranded PSU's, do they possibly make their own? There looks to be a UL number on the bottom of the PCB that I can't find any info on. "E141940"

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                    There looks to be a UL number on the bottom of the PCB that I can't find any info on. "E141940"
                    This is what comes back from the UL site: SHANDONG JINBAO ELECTRONICS CO LTD (Category Name: Polymeric Materials - Filament-wound Tubing, Industrial Laminates, Vulcanized Fiber, and Materials for Use in Fabricating Recognized Printed Wiring Boards - Component)

Looks like they are a company who makes printed circuit boards, so they probably made the PCB but sold it to someone else that made the PSU.

Comment

Thanks for the info dmill

Comment

HP PS-5341-4CF 340W (LiteΟn)

-Active PFC

-GBU808 8A bridge rectifier attached to heatsink

-Full input filter including MOV protection. 3X caps, 6 Y caps

-CM6800 PFC/PWM CONTROLLER COMBO

-2X STW14NK50Z. Those can be found in 450W psus, such as Thermaltake TR2-500

-2SK2611 for APFC

-5vsb uses DM311 IC or similar, couldn't read its markings because of the heatsink attached to it.

-Impressive primary and secondary heatsink

-Very good soldering

-3.3V: STPS3045CT (30A), 2x 6.3V 3300uF Taicon

-5V: 2X STPS3045CT (60A), 1x 2200uF 10V Ltec & 1x 10V 3300uF Taicon

-12V: MBR30H100CT (30A), 1x 16V 3300uF Taicon & 1x 16V 2200uF OST

-large 92mm 12V 0.30A Adda fan

The caps are a mix of OST, Taicon and Ltec. Not good, but not too bad.
                        Attached Files

Comment

6 1/2 years old. Nice heavy metal, beefy semiconductors, -52 material O/P inductor. I'd say ditch the fan and any Ltec O/P caps, maybe also the +5V Aux and PWM start-up caps.
                          PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                          To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

That's a nice PSU! A little overbuilt which is always good. I bet that could do 400W continuous no problem. Of those caps that they used I'm glad they at least put Taicon on the 12V filtering. Yeah those are some nice thick heatsinks!

Comment

QJE PS3010 laboratory power supply (30V 10A - 300W) - a variant of an old-school TL494 design

680uF 200V x2 primary units.
                              2.2uF 630V poly for series current limiting of output transformer.
                              3300uF 35V before output inductor with 1000uF 35V x2 after it.
                              220uF 25V and 100uF 25V each on 5V and 12V control rails.

TL494 main controller with TNY277 output control supply controller.
                              KBU810 primary rectifier with KCH30A20 (200V 33.3A) output rectifier.
                              12N50 x2 primary side MOSFETs.
                              BU9793 LCD segment driver and PIC16F676 microcontroller.
                              All ICs and large rectifiers are from well-knowm manufacturers.

Heatsink (for primary power MOSFETs and output rectifier) behind board is generous.

Teardown video: http://youtu.be/-oT83k-z0vo
                              Attached Files
                              My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

What's the status of those caps?

BTW, are you going to upgrade your avatar?
                                Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
                                Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
                                  Cooler Power GX850. Looks to be a CoolerMaster knock off. It isn't too bad, except that it's not an 850W. It made it up to 500W on the load tester before one of the two 12V rectifiers went out. Interestingly, though, I only had about 40A worth of 12V load. With a pair of 30A schottkys, I would have expected to be able to go a bit higher, even in forward topology. Maybe the fact that the PFC choke blocks almost all airflow off the secondary heat sink (and doesn't leave that grille space free) might have something to do with it. The secondary heat sink stayed too hot to touch long after the primary heat sink and other parts had cooled down. The caps are BH and GoldLink, and the fan is a 140mm Yate Loon Ball Bearing. Not bad for a no-name unit. I believe the OEM to be Golden Tiger.

When I fix it up, I'll replace the 12V schottky rectifiers with 40A parts.
                                  I just realized this, I think that's the exact same as the Diablotek PHD650. I have one sitting in the shop, I'll post some pics later

Comment

Originally posted by japlytic View Post
                                    QJE PS3010 laboratory power supply (30V 10A - 300W) - a variant of an old-school TL494 design

680uF 200V x2 primary units.
                                    2.2uF 630V poly for series current limiting of output transformer.
                                    3300uF 35V before output inductor with 1000uF 35V x2 after it.
                                    220uF 25V and 100uF 25V each on 5V and 12V control rails.

TL494 main controller with TNY277 output control supply controller.
                                    KBU810 primary rectifier with KCH30A20 (200V 33.3A) output rectifier.
                                    12N50 x2 primary side MOSFETs.
                                    BU9793 LCD segment driver and PIC16F676 microcontroller.
                                    All ICs and large rectifiers are from well-knowm manufacturers.

Heatsink (for primary power MOSFETs and output rectifier) behind board is generous.

Teardown video: http://youtu.be/-oT83k-z0vo
                                    Some constructive criticism...
                                    * half the video was you unscrewing the thing. Some editing wouldn't hurt.
                                    * too much movement... motion thickness is a thing. Grab a bunch of books, stack them, put camera on books and you've got yourself a tripod.

The TNY277 is probably used only for 5v for the microcontroller and lcd segment driver and actual lcd display.
                                    The TL494 is doing the heavy work.

If i remember correctly, the big problem with those power supplies is that one panel can bend and touch the live heatsink.. check if fets are insulated from heatsink, check the earth wire and where is connected... etc

Comment

Awesome Macron power supply. Looks good for at least 350W continuous. Has two 12V rails, and OCP on every rail. Last 3 pics are after recapping it
                                      Attached Files

Comment

Note the MPT-5002 model. That's actually a 500W, and not a half bridge one (2TF topology). Macron do usually seem to rate their PSUs accurately. Nice save!
                                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                                          Awesome Macron power supply. Looks good for at least 350W continuous. Has two 12V rails, and OCP on every rail. Last 3 pics are after recapping it
                                          regarding picture 11: is it a temp sensor on a sink or is the sink grounded this way? A little blurry, can't see shit there

EDIT: oh there is a component marked TH2.. a thermistor nevermind
                                          Last edited by domas; 10-23-2013, 01:05 AM. Reason: fail

Comment

Working...
                                          X