problem with psu in Samsung 32"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problem with psu in Samsung 32"

Hi there guys i have a Samsung LE32A457C1D which has the BN44-00214A PSU, when i first got the tv i noticed a burn / bulge mark on the back of the tv but when i popped off the back i nnoticed it is the big cap that is causing this, not too sure whether to switch tv on or not, does anyone know what could be the issue ?

Re: problem with psu in Samsung 32"

Can anyone see the pictures in those links ?

Comment

Yes pictures work ok but still better to add as atachments if you can just in case google drive link does not work in future. I would remove that capacitor measure height/width and order a new one certainly looks like its got hot.

Comment

Also remove all the brown glue crap from the board as this goes conductive and will short components out

Comment

ok will order one and remove all the glue and let you guys know how it goes when replaced.

Comment

Yep that capacitor let go and go so hot it melted the back cover!

I wonder what made it go like that....must have spewed a lot of stinky smelling steam!

I'd also suggest that you replace all the other electrolytic capacitors on this PSU, they are known to fail.

-Ben
            Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Check that blue disc cap next to that big cap also, looks like the glue already turned conductive and the legs may be eaten away.
              Never stop learning
              Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
              http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
              http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by ben7 View Post
                Yep that capacitor let go and go so hot it melted the back cover!

I wonder what made it go like that....must have spewed a lot of stinky smelling steam!

I'd also suggest that you replace all the other electrolytic capacitors on this PSU, they are known to fail.

-Ben
                Originally posted by budm View Post
                Check that blue disc cap next to that big cap also, looks like the glue already turned conductive and the legs may be eaten away.
                i most always replace the capacitors on these boards, never had to change the big one though, and i will double check that budm.

Comment

Hi All,
                  Sorry to resurrect such an ancient topic but dealing with an issue on the same model (Samsung LE32A457C1D) with the same PSU board. Did checks on the cold side of the PSU board, no sign of the 12V+ outputs (on turning on I get the same 5 red LED flashes and then nothing). That dreadful glue was all over QB802 and CP811, de-soldered QB802 (Fairchild D526-Y NPN transistor maybe?) and removed the glue, however the transistor test appears to be failing between B (with positive probe) towards E (negative probe) and C (negative probe) in diode mode with my super basic MM.
                  Can I order a D526-Y off from Aliexpress for a few bucks and try replacing that on its own?
                  Also, I'm measuring 84.2 uF for CP811 (schematics suggest 47uF...) but my MM is quite a cheap one, could the capacitor ok and just the meter off?
                  Is there anything else worth checking around which usually goes at the same time when QB802 is blown?
                  2nd post only, please be gentle but any suggestion would be appreciated!
                  Attached Files

Comment

If you search BN44-00214A, you will find a full page of posts for this board.

Comment

Maybe check some new batteries with your meter to check it for accuracy.

Comment

1) Can I see straight shot pictures of top and bottom side of YOUR board?
                        2) What Voltage do you get on E, C, and B of the QB802 if you put the Transistor back in place?
                        3) You said you do not get 12V, how about the 24v?
                        4) There will be no 12V or 24V if PS-ON is not present, so do you have PS-ON control Voltage?
                        Last edited by budm; 03-29-2020, 04:24 PM.
                        Never stop learning
                        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

First of all, thank you for all the above suggestions, much appreciated.

I've got a 1k resistor installed between SB and PS pins on CNM802, still no output on 12V/24V rails (I can measure 5.2V on the SB, also around 4V on PS once it is connected with the resistor).

With the above jumper in place, I'm only measuring about 324-330V on the big cap (CP803).

With the above jumper in place, I'm getting the following on QB802 (relative to HOT side GND of CP803):
                          Base:16.15V
                          Collector:23.9V
                          Emitter:0.04V

without the above jumper in place, I'm getting the following on QB802 (relative to HOT side GND of CP803):
                          Base:0.4V
                          Collector:26.33V
                          Emitter:0.2V

Once again, thanks for your time while looking into this.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by katinkapicinyke View Post
                            First of all, thank you for all the above suggestions, much appreciated.

I've got a 1k resistor installed between SB and PS pins on CNM802, still no output on 12V/24V rails (I can measure 5.2V on the SB, also around 4V on PS once it is connected with the resistor).

With the above jumper in place, I'm only measuring about 324-330V on the big cap (CP803).

With the above jumper in place, I'm getting the following on QB802 (relative to HOT side GND of CP803):

without the above jumper in place, I'm getting the following on QB802 (relative to HOT side GND of CP803):
                            Base:0.4V
                            Collector:26.33V
                            Emitter:0.2V

Once again, thanks for your time while looking into this.
                            One more thing please, with the mainboard, TCON and inverter connected I get 3.3V of SB constantly (would I be correct assuming logical HIGH sent back from the mainboard?) while powered up, it drops only for a mere second, so like goes to logical LOW (0V) and then back to 3.3V.

Comment

Originally posted by neilc6 View Post
                              If you search BN44-00214A, you will find a full page of posts for this board.
                              Also, thank you for your suggestion, I read the below but found them inconclusive in my case, almost appeared to me as SMPS fault on mine with no obvious symptom.
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ht=BN44-00214A
                              https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...ht=BN44-00214A

Comment

Originally posted by nomoresonys View Post
                                Maybe check some new batteries with your meter to check it for accuracy.
                                Thank you, just did that but appears to me the same outcome when measuring that elco capacitor.

Comment

Check DB801,DB802.

Comment

You are on the right track,
                                    The emitter voltage is missing, either due to an open QB802 or you have too much of a load on the M_VCC line. Check the resistance across CP811, this will give an idea of where the problem is.
                                    You could have a bad ICP801S, or bad ICM801, or it is possible CP811, CP805, CM807, CM814 are shorted
                                    Last edited by R_J; 03-30-2020, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by R_J View Post
                                      You are on the right track,
                                      The emitter voltage is missing, either due to an open QB802 or you have too much of a load on the M_VCC line. Check the resistance across CP811, this will give an idea of where the problem is.
                                      You could have a bad ICP801S, or bad ICM801, or it is possible CP811, CP805, CM807, CM814 are shorted
                                      Thank you, I can see no short on CP811, CP805 (took me some time to find, little SMD bugger!), neither on CP805, CM807, nor on CM814.

The resistance between the two legs of CP811 is around 4.5K Ohm, give or take due to my meters tolerance.
                                      Last edited by katinkapicinyke; 03-30-2020, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                      X