The 2017 Operating System Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 2017 Operating System Thread

Here we are, yet another year gone by....what operating system is on your primary PC?
    Windows 10
    0%
    Windows 8/8.1
    0%
    Windows 7
    0%
    Windows Vista
    0%
    Windows XP
    0%
    Windows 2000
    0%
    Apple OSX
    0%
    Some flavor of Linux (explain if you wish)
    0%
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: The 2017 Operating System Thread

Comment

Well, servers have OpenBSD, desk/laptop have openSUSE, cluster has Pelican Linux, thinclient PC has Plan9, smartphone has Sailfish OS.
      Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Where do I start...
        I have 7 on my primary PC, 10 on laptop (with Ubuntu 16.04 on dualboot), Ubuntu 16.04 on NAS, Ubuntu 14.04 on main server, Debian 7 on OpenVZ VPS.
        Oh, and Android 6.0 (CM13) on my Galaxy S4 smartphone and Android 4.4 on a cheap Huawei tablet.
        I also have a hybrid tablet with broken screen which has Windows and Android on dual boot.
        I also have 3 raspberry pis, two running LibreELEC (Kodi), and one running OpenWRT serving as a 4G ethernet bridge.
        Last edited by ddscentral; 01-14-2017, 07:55 PM.

Comment

No change from the last decade plus, and no change foreseen. Thank you versionless distributions.

Comment

Windows 7
            I'm not a expert, I'm just doing my best.

Comment

Windows 7. CentOS server, Windows 10 on the work laptop

Comment

Still preferring W7 for the time being , 64 bit of course for better Memory Rams and Cpus readings . There are strong links between Operating systems , Cpus and Rams , and no one can disregard it ..Windows 10 of course seems the upcoming trap , speaking higher Rams and Cpus , so little choices we have on the long run .

Comment

I run Linux on my primary PC. I'm running OpenSuSE Tumbleweed. It's a rolling distribution, which means I don't have to reinstall when a newer version comes out. My wife, however, runs Windows 10 64-bit on her laptop. This is kind of a good thing though, because having it installed, I was able to learn it. When it comes to repairing PCs, it's good to know the various operating systems. I plan on installing Windows Server 2012 sometime in the near future, when I get some free time.
                  -- Law of Expanding Memory: Applications Will Also Expand Until RAM Is Full

Comment

i have 10 on all my pcs that are capable of running it

Comment

Originally posted by dragos2009 View Post
                      microsoft will probaby contact you fo a medal and a place in the next advertising campaign!!

Comment

Originally posted by dragos2009 View Post
                        So says the next MS employee of the month.
                        sigpicThe Sky Is Falling

Comment

Windows 10, of course.
                          On multiple machines.

I run OpenSUSE on one or the other machine. Not that satisfied though.
                          But it's not lik other Linux distributions like Ubuntu and Mint are better...

Comment

Originally posted by Stefan Payne View Post
                            Windows 10, of course.
                            On multiple machines.

I run OpenSUSE on one or the other machine. Not that satisfied though.
                            But it's not lik other Linux distributions like Ubuntu and Mint are better...
                            I used to run Ubuntu and Mint, but I actually prefer OpenSuSE better. I think it depends on what you're really looking for. I prefer the terminal and find OpenSuSE a bit more suited towards my needs. I felt Ubuntu was a bit too user friendly. That's just how I feel though.

Comment

Have not decided yet, it January after all
                              It's leaning heavily towards Server 2016 though.
                              Currently running Win7 on a temporary install on my main machine.
                              "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Windows 10, of course.
                                Why? Windows10 is spying on you, put's ads, you cannot disable updates via GUI, OneDrive is integrated - no way to remove it or to stop it from sharing your personal information with Microsoft!
                                Last edited by televizora; 01-18-2017, 02:31 PM.
                                Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
                                1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Because Windows 10 has DX12 support and is the best Windows so far.

I don't understand the hate of the "forced" updates. M$ had to do it, after some especially knowledgable people just never patched their system ever and switched off any update functionality.

Because if there is an exploit found you want it to be fixed ASAP and not be exploited, do you?!

And that's the problem with Software: Noone really cares about the security of the software. And does some real stupid shit...
                                  And the lawmakers aren't up to it as well...

If I'm able to pass a law, I'd make YOU responsible for keeping the system up to date. If you don't -> Jail or at least 90 Tagessätze (per diem rate in english??) to pay for your stupidity. And a 'Computer Security course'...

Oh and what's the alternative? MacOS?! Android??

Comment

XP for the win! I will only stop using it when I cannot access anything whatsoever.

Comment

Because Windows 10 has DX12 support and is the best Windows so far.

I don't understand the hate of the "forced" updates. M$ had to do it, after some especially knowledgable people just never patched their system ever and switched off any update functionality.

Because if there is an exploit found you want it to be fixed ASAP and not be exploited, do you?!

And that's the problem with Software: Noone really cares about the security of the software. And does some real stupid shit...
                                      And the lawmakers aren't up to it as well...

If I'm able to pass a law, I'd make YOU responsible for keeping the system up to date. If you don't -> Jail or at least 90 Tagessätze (per diem rate in english??) to pay for your stupidity. And a 'Computer Security course'...

Oh and what's the alternative? MacOS?! Android??
                                      I'd like to chime in. Security updates (or any update) should never be forced upon a user. It should always be the user's option to upgrade. I see nothing wrong with having automatic updates turned on by default, where they get installed if you don't change something, but there should always be a way to turn it off.

Believe it or not, sometimes you want the system exploitable. Also, some of the updates (I'm referring to non-security updates, but even security updates) can break software sometimes, believe it or not.

That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with you wanting to run Windows 10. If you're okay with their privacy policy, go for it. If someone isn't, they simply don't have to install it.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Hansson View Post
                                        Have not decided yet, it January after all
                                        It's leaning heavily towards Server 2016 though.
                                        Currently running Win7 on a temporary install on my main machine.
                                        If you get Windows Server 2016, can you let me know how that is Per Hansson, maybe in a PM? Also, do you have any experience with any of the Windows Server 2012's?

Comment

Working...
                                        X