Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alienware 15 not charging

Hello all,

I have an Alienware 15 laptop that is not charging the battery. When I plug in the adapter it shows as charging sometimes and sometimes not, but always recognizes the adapter is being used. Either way it never actually charges. When it does show up as charging it'll say something like "5 minutes remaining" even though the battery is only at 1% at this point. Changing the battery was already attrempted and this made no difference.

When I measure the voltage at the battery I notice when I plug in the adapter that the voltage briefly goes up to 18V and then goes back to around 13.5. When I unplug the charger the battery voltage goes to around 12.5 or so. It seems voltage does get to the battery and the circuits that go there are working although perhaps not correctly, I do find that 18V spike strange. I was wondering if it's just the battery being measured incorrectly and it's actually being charged the whole time but after about 10 seconds the computer does shut down when only battery is used.

I ran the diagnostic at startup and the stats for the battery say 0mA flow into the battery during charge and aprox 2 amps consumption when I unplug adapter. Adapter is also recognized in bios.

Battery pins show

1-4: 12-13V
    5: 3.3V
    6. 3.3V
    7. 0V
    8. 0V
    9. 0V
    10-14: 0V

All help is greatly appreciated guys.
    Last edited by TVMexicana; 11-11-2019, 06:37 PM.

Re: Alienware 15 not charging

Such a poor description of your problem in such a long description. You have neither mentioned the mb code, laptop model number, charging ic code. Do you still think we can help you??

Comment

I'm not sure of the exact model of the laptop besides "alienware 15", the label at the bottom has faded away. Motherboard is LA-B751P and the schematic is attached below.
      Attached Files

Comment

im assuming battery is dead. post hwinfo64 about battery information... watt charge capability, voltage, wear level and so on

Comment

Hello, the battery was replaced and it made no difference. Here is the results from the diagnostic.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TVMexicana View Post
            Hello, the battery was replaced and it made no difference. Here is the results from the diagnostic.
            Check in bios setup charger show or not like 90w,65W

Comment

Originally posted by TVMexicana View Post
              the screen is referred to the replaced battery? it's a 12 volt battery.

what voltage got the original battery? because some notebook wont work if original battery is 15-17 volt and replaced battery is 11-12 volt.

Comment

Great tip!

However it seems both new and old batteries are the same. I ran diagnostics with the old battery whith basically the same results. Old battery is only at 65% health but should still be able to charge fine.

The bios shows charger as the correct 180W charger.

Comment

can u make a picture of both battery label?

"When I measure the voltage at the battery I notice when I plug in the adapter that the voltage briefly goes up to 18V "

that with battery? can u try without battery to read pin 1-2 of battery connector as u plug in charger?

Comment

Working...
                  X