Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acer Aspire 6530G powers on for 7 seconds, then turns off and cycles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire 6530G powers on for 7 seconds, then turns off and cycles.

Hi.

Got this laptop for free with a smashed screen, successfully adapted a 15.6" CCFL screen by reusing the 16" frame and slotting in the 15.6".

However, this issue arises, even with another (known working and tested working on this exact laptop, before going for the 15.6") LCD:

Laptop powers on and stays blank for 7 seconds then powers off, and repeats the cycle.

I'm at loss as to what I should try.

RAM: 2x2GB Samsung (known working pulls from a Dell Vostro 1015)
    GPU: Geforce 8600M MXM-II 512MB, was working before, no artefacting or anything like that
    CPU: AMD Turion Ultra ZM80 2.10GHz

I have even searched for a NEC-Tokin cap (someone suggested that) but there's none, just 2 regular SMD tantalums.
    Main rig:
    Gigabyte B75M-D3H
    Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
    16GB DDR3-1600
    Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
    FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
    120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
    Delux MG760 case

Re: Acer Aspire 6530G powers on for 7 seconds, then turns off and cycles.

Try to flash BIOS back up old DUMP, voltage on all coils ?

Comment

Originally posted by techtiger View Post
      Try to flash BIOS back up old DUMP, voltage on all coils ?
      Won't detect USB. Tried flashing but USB was not detected through Fn+Esc (specific for this model).
      Main rig:
      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
      16GB DDR3-1600
      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
      Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
        Won't detect USB. Tried flashing but USB was not detected through Fn+Esc (specific for this model).
        techtiger meant to flash it with an external programmer.
        Also your gpu is sadly known to fail. This can and happened to me out of the blue.

And measure voltages on the board as he stated. This will give you a clue of what's going on.

Comment

GPU will be dead for sure, but you could have another issue.
          OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

try to use external monitor and disconnect the lvds to make sure the problem is not with the installed 15.6 screen. or the GPU is going bad. overheating gpu is an indication.
            Never stop LEARNING because life never stops TEACHING!

Comment

Originally posted by Duranitron View Post
              try to use external monitor and disconnect the lvds to make sure the problem is not with the installed 15.6 screen. or the GPU is going bad. overheating gpu is an indication.
              He mentioned that he tested the board with another known good screen.
              My bet would be a dead gpu. A slight flex while re-mounting the heatsink or mxm card itself can break those flawed chips. I had one of those mxm cards back then and it suddenly stopped working after repasting it. Not worth fixing it even if the gpu isn't dead. It will fail soon 100%.
              Also they don't overheat when dead. They just won't work or give artifacts.

The board should start without a screen connected anyways so it's most likely not the screen that causes his problem.

One thing the OP could try to make sure the gpu is dead or not:
              If you have a reflow station heat the gpu to 150°C for a minute.
              If you don't have a rework station just throw the mxm card into your oven at 130-150°C for 2-3 minutes. Make sure to remove any plastic stickers, thermal paste/pads before doing that. Place the card on standoffs or balls made out of aluminium foil to avoid components touching your oven.

You can throw the card away if it starts working again after heating. This is just a temporary solution and won't last long. Maybe a day or two. There is no permanent fix for those gpu's.

Comment

I reflowed the card at 350*C (generic automotive heatgun from "Kaufland" market, served me well reviving a 1st generation PS3) on the cover of a dead Premier (DEER) PSU (empty of course) but it didn't work. I still have the cycle.

Moreover, the GPU DID work before, when I tested it with the 15.4 screen - the cycle that made me know it's working back then was that it powered once, shut down, then on the 2nd power up it would also light up the Bluetooth LED. No artefacts whatsoever.

At this point I'd either check the NB and SB (Acer states that the 6530G uses a M780G chipset) and if it still won't work, I'll probably swap in a 6930 board (as the casing seems to have been replaced before with a 6930) as the 6930 would be LESS prone to failure (Intel GM45 chipset + MXM-2 slot) and if the current 8600M does prove to be dead, I'll either hunt down a HD3650 or a 9600M GT.

Both LCDs tested out fine (the 15.4 and 15.6) on another laptop as of now (855GM based Benq Joybook) and I know the Aspire 6530G has POST'd twice with both LCDs, so the LVDS isn't the culprit here.

One thing I haven't tried, but have read that someone tried, is letting it cycle for 15 minutes (or more) until it POSTs successfully. What caught my eye though is that the laptop shuts off just a few seconds before the BT would initialize.
                Last edited by Dan81; 11-02-2019, 08:56 AM.
                Main rig:
                Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                16GB DDR3-1600
                Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Dan81 View Post
                  I reflowed the card at 350*C (generic automotive heatgun from "Kaufland" market, served me well reviving a 1st generation PS3) on the cover of a dead Premier (DEER) PSU (empty of course) but it didn't work. I still have the cycle.

Moreover, the GPU DID work before, when I tested it with the 15.4 screen - the cycle that made me know it's working back then was that it powered once, shut down, then on the 2nd power up it would also light up the Bluetooth LED. No artefacts whatsoever.

At this point I'd either check the NB and SB (Acer states that the 6530G uses a M780G chipset) and if it still won't work, I'll probably swap in a 6930 board (as the casing seems to have been replaced before with a 6930) as the 6930 would be LESS prone to failure (Intel GM45 chipset + MXM-2 slot) and if the current 8600M does prove to be dead, I'll either hunt down a HD3650 or a 9600M GT.

Both LCDs tested out fine (the 15.4 and 15.6) on another laptop as of now (855GM based Benq Joybook) and I know the Aspire 6530G has POST'd twice with both LCDs, so the LVDS isn't the culprit here.

One thing I haven't tried, but have read that someone tried, is letting it cycle for 15 minutes (or more) until it POSTs successfully. What caught my eye though is that the laptop shuts off just a few seconds before the BT would initialize.
                  You already heated the card to 350C once? I'll bet 100% that the card is dead. Do not buy either one of the 8000M/9000M series cards. They are all flawed. I had many acers of that generation with failed 9000 series gpus on mxm cards. I still have around 5 of those which are all dead. There was one ATI card which proved to be somewhat more reliable which came with the acer laptop as an option. Dont remember exactly which one though.

Just heat the 8600 once more. If it works again you know for sure its dead. Just to rule it out before doing anything else on that board. I don't trust any mobile Nvidia gpu of that time.
                  Last edited by KvnTM; 11-02-2019, 09:09 AM.

Comment

350°C will cook the GPU. Never do that. 200°C max.
                    There should be good NVidia chips, fixed revision available on the market but obviously that requires a BGA rework station.
                    For NVidia, the chips with the defect were made between 2006 and 2008 (around 30th week) and have dark underfill, later ones have white underfill and don't have the defect. 7000 and 8000 series and the MCP from that era are all affected. The 9000 series are mostly ok, only some chips may have been partially affected (doesn't mean they won't fail at all though, but nowhere as much).

The ATi one doesn't fail as much but isn't exactly reliable either. (the reliability issue is much more of an issue with ATi/AMD overall, but they never acknowledged it and never release a fixed revision)
                    And talking about that, the northbridge can indeed be the issue, it's known to fail a lot as well.
                    OpenBoardView — https://github.com/OpenBoardView/OpenBoardView

Comment

I have revived 8400GS cards at that temperature. They still work to this day.

My trick is not letting the gun too much on them and storing them in a cold place. It takes me around a minute if we count the time the gun takes until it reaches 350*C, which isn't too much.(about 7-10 seconds)
                      Last edited by Dan81; 11-02-2019, 01:49 PM.
                      Main rig:
                      Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                      Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                      16GB DDR3-1600
                      Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                      Delux MG760 case

Comment

check +3vs and +5vs voltage. (not "always"but "vs") check also if it has nek tokin under cpu socket. check also without vga if it stay on with a white or black screen

Comment

Just an update, but I somewhat fixed this one.

Board was kill, so I ordered another one (same ZK3 board but older revision) and it works well, and so does the 8600M GT.

The issue itself though is the LCD. Both the inverter and LVDS went bad (won't light up at all, and won't detect a secondary monitor regardless if the 8600M GT is removed, probably the BIOS itself dictates that, or so I've read somewhere) so I'll probably track down a new LCD altogether (maybe a 6935 one works?) and mount it in there. Otherwise, board boots into Windows just fine (I can hear the Windows 7 startup sound) and anything else works okay.
                          Main rig:
                          Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                          Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                          16GB DDR3-1600
                          Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                          Delux MG760 case

Comment

Working...
                          X