Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just a FWIW, 2023 is the Twentieth Anniversary Year for BCN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a FWIW, 2023 is the Twentieth Anniversary Year for BCN!

Launched in April 2003! Yea, it's been that long!! I was still in my 20's when I started this!
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Re: Just a FWIW, 2023 is the Twentieth Anniversary Year for BCN!

Amazing Sir! Happy Anniversary!
    My Computer: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asrock X370 Killer SLI/AC, 32GB G.SKILL TRIDENT Z RGB DDR4 3200, 500GB WD Black NVME and 2TB Toshiba HD,Geforce RTX 3080 FOUNDERS Edition, In-Win 303 White, EVGA SuperNova 750 G3, Windows 10 Pro

Comment

Dang... now you make me feel old too.

I joined in 2008... so I guess that's only 5 years after BCN debuted. Felt really late back in the hay-day of the bad cap era. And now?... wow, have I really been bugging people on here for 15 years?!

Well, happy 20th anniversary to BCN!
      Here's to another 20

In all honesty, this place has been a huge impact on my life, both in terms of knowledge and just growing up as a person. And for that, I'm eternally grateful to you.

Comment

Happy Anniversary
        Useful conversions. I don't "speak" imperial. Please use metric, if you want to address me.
        1km=1000m=100000cm, 1inch=2.54cm, 1mile=1609.344meters, 1ft=30.48cm 1gal(US)=3.785liters, 1lb=453grams, 1oz=28.34grams

Comment

Happy 20th Anniversary for Badcaps , the best of the best !!

Comment

I After 20 years of BCN, I have decided to shut down the store... It had a great run, believe me!! ...but I haven't sold a cap all year so far. The last order was placed on December 21, 2022.

Another deciding factor is that as of Jan 1st 2023, I now have to charge sales tax for all orders...just another hassle I don't want to deal with even though I do have tax ID's...

I will never stop accepting repairs though!!
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
              I After 20 years of BCN, I have decided to shut down the store... It had a great run, believe me!! ...but I haven't sold a cap all year so far. The last order was placed on December 21, 2022.
              That's really sad to hear but understandable.

After all, many PC motherboards rarely use electrolytic caps anymore. For the few that still do, you won't find them on the CPU VRM or other high-power parts. So even a cap failure on the lesser circuits will likely not cause the mobo to stop working.

That said, bad capacitors will always be a thing. But I think if you do intend to re-open your store, you'd have to restructure/reformat it, mostly towards stocking capacitors commonly found in power supplies, TVs, adapters, and etc... and that can be quite a rabit hole, since you'd need to stock on so many more values than you did before. Plus, I've noticed that a lot of times when people are doing PSU repairs here on the forums (and from my own experience too), one often needs to get other parts besides capacitors if the PSU went faulty from reason other than capacitors. To save on shipping, a lot of people chose some other online place, particularly component stores like Digikey and Mouser.
              ... so again, I can see why this has gotten to be where it's at.

Still, I'm glad to hear you got a good business out of this over the years, and I'm sure it's helped a lot of people keep their equipment running much longer than it could have otherwise.

Comment

Also the anniversary year of being known as "RJARRRPCGP", because of "RJA" being taken at places on the internet. I think it was in February, 2003.

(RJA Rocking, Rocking and Rocking PC Game Player)

I joined in July, 2004, after seeing reports on the internet about terrible things with motherboards. I realized that I was a dummy! At least before sometime in the 2010s! Even if I learned some more in 2009 or 2008.

I feel old, too! Even when I'm just learning new stuff. Stuff that I couldn't get my head around, even in most of the 2010s!
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 01-14-2023, 11:17 PM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                  That's really sad to hear but understandable.

After all, many PC motherboards rarely use electrolytic caps anymore. For the few that still do, you won't find them on the CPU VRM or other high-power parts. So even a cap failure on the lesser circuits will likely not cause the mobo to stop working.

That said, bad capacitors will always be a thing. But I think if you do intend to re-open your store, you'd have to restructure/reformat it, mostly towards stocking capacitors commonly found in power supplies, TVs, adapters, and etc... and that can be quite a rabit hole, since you'd need to stock on so many more values than you did before. Plus, I've noticed that a lot of times when people are doing PSU repairs here on the forums (and from my own experience too), one often needs to get other parts besides capacitors if the PSU went faulty from reason other than capacitors. To save on shipping, a lot of people chose some other online place, particularly component stores like Digikey and Mouser.
                  ... so again, I can see why this has gotten to be where it's at.

Still, I'm glad to hear you got a good business out of this over the years, and I'm sure it's helped a lot of people keep their equipment running much longer than it could have otherwise.
                  At this point, I really have no plans on bringing the cap store back. It really took off around 2005 and reached its pinnacle around 2012, it was making a fortune.....but then started to slowly decline as the capacitor problem in PC's began diminishing. In 2022, I think I sold a couple grand worth of caps all year. In 2012, I'd do that in a week.....so you can see where it's gone.

I have no complaints at all. I am out of a lot of stuff now and I don't really want to bother restocking for resale; a lot of the good factory-direct contacts I had back then are gone. I restock what I need for repairs. I still get boards in for recapping....but not like it used to be....but I'll die with a soldering iron in my hand!!
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

but I'll die with a soldering iron in my hand!!
                    Once a techie, always a techie!

I feel the same way, even though I don't do this for a living. I can't stand to do just office work, reading, or watching something. Always need to keep my hands/fingers busy.

In 2022, I think I sold a couple grand worth of caps all year. In 2012, I'd do that in a week.....so you can see where it's gone.
                    Wow!

I am out of a lot of stuff now and I don't really want to bother restocking for resale; a lot of the good factory-direct contacts I had back then are gone. I restock what I need for repairs.
                    And the other thing is, I've noticed lately that a lot of the big Japanese manufacturers have started to discontinue some old(er) series, like Nichicon PW (IIRC), UCC KY, and a few others. I got an email from Digikey after purchasing caps last summer for a CRT monitor. Not sure if the Chinese cap market is taking over or what, but it's sad to see a lot of old known reliable series going away. Can still find them NOS on Ebay sometimes, but it can be a gamble.

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                    (RJA Rocking, Rocking and Rocking PC Game Player)
                    I would not have guessed how you came up with your name in a million years if you never told us this.

Comment

Once a techie, always a techie!

I feel the same way, even though I don't do this for a living. I can't stand to do just office work, reading, or watching something. Always need to keep my hands/fingers busy.
                      I think it's in the blood... I thought about a career change, completely away from tech....I just couldn't do it. I was not meant to have an office job and sit behind a desk.....I'm fine in the tech room in front of a workbench...with the iron in hand though!!

And the other thing is, I've noticed lately that a lot of the big Japanese manufacturers have started to discontinue some old(er) series, like Nichicon PW (IIRC), UCC KY, and a few others. I got an email from Digikey after purchasing caps last summer for a CRT monitor. Not sure if the Chinese cap market is taking over or what, but it's sad to see a lot of old known reliable series going away.
                      I used KY's in a lot of power supplies....sad news indeed. I also used a lot of KMG as well....and a couple others I can't remember right off. PW series hung on a long time, I remember those in 80's era gear!

Can still find them NOS on Ebay sometimes, but it can be a gamble.
                      Indeed....weeding out the fakes would be the hardest part....
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

Wow! Makes sense on the store tbh though.

Comment

Working...
                        X