LG BD560 Won't Spin BR Discs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LG BD560 Won't Spin BR Discs

This bluray player will play dvd's fine however I took it apart to see why it wasn't playing bluray discs and found out it doesn't even spin them, it errors out and ejects.

I can see the laser tray moving and see both the red and blue laser alternate in an attempt to read the disc but since it's not spinning it of course gives up.

Why would a player spin one disc and not the other since it's the same motor and the player has no idea what inside until it tries to read it ???

Re: LG BD560 Won't Spin BR Discs

Somebody here knows the general theory of operation for blu ray players and must be able to make sense of this. I'm tempted to weigh the two discs to see if there's much difference lol.

Comment

Maybe it reads before spinning the disc, probably different speed for the higher bitrate discs, My guess is that the receiver isn't receiving or transmitting to the next component lots of tiny ribbon cables in there maybe open circuit?
      Liberating magic smoke one part at a time

Comment

has it been nocked or dropped?

this happens to the ps3 a lot,
        when they get nocked over the optics in the laser assembly get messed up and it wont read BD, but anything using the red laser is o.k.
        maybe because the shift isnt enough to effect the red laser track width?

Comment

You may both be right, but I have no idea if this has been dropped/kicked/mishandled. It seems as though the drive fires each laser first in an attempt to determine what is inserted. The blue laser seems to be misaligned or out of focus. Is there a way to calibrate these or is it a lost cause ?

Comment

never tried that, probably requires a million dollar piece of equipment, replaced a few lasers on xbox's successfully. the laser rides on magnetic fields supported by a voice coil of sorts, maybe move it around a bit with a qtip and see if it resets?
            Liberating magic smoke one part at a time

Comment

Ya I've moved it plenty when cleaning the lenses, still no joy. I googled and saw there are three pots that can be adjusted and some have had blind success that way. Seems kinda backwoods honkey-tonk but only way forward unless I can find other info.

Comment

Nearly decade-long necro but I hate when issues get posted and things aren't resolved so here's a simple solution for anyone still having this issue. You need a usb bar code scanner for this.

I've just replaced the pickup and main board in an LG BD175 and this is how you solve this problem: Replace the parts, do not put the shroud of the player on yet, turn it on and set it up, then go over to settings/options and press one category down so your menu cursor is on "display". Without entering the menu, enter on the remote "5177777". I've seen variations react to four 7's, but I'll write it out with five because that seems to work. This will kick you to a service menu.

There you'll see option 4 should say something along the lines of "laser barcode scan" or something like that. Plug in your usb bar code scanner, and notice on the top of the disc tray assembly there's a QR code. Scan it, and bam! Should work with no problem now.

As I understand it this calibrates the main to the voltage discrepancy that production laser diodes can experience, even if minute. This should work on all LG blu-ray player models.

If your discs refuse to spin, this is probably why.
                Listening to Drab Majesty, Chime, Deftones, and other Rushdown Label artists. Professional tech.

Comment

You need a new pickup. There are 2 laser diodes one for DVD and one for bd . Most likely and very common the bd laser failed

Comment

It is very likely the detector for the bluray failed and not the laser diode itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X