Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Macbook Pro 13'' 2017 A1708 Won't power on with battery connected.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Macbook Pro 13'' 2017 A1708 Won't power on with battery connected.

I don't have access to the schematics right now, waiting on junior to get his haircut. Check the common signals between the battery and the display.

Suspecting the smbus lines.

Remove all power. Meter in diode mode.

Remove the display.

Red meter probe to ground.
    Black meter probe to smbus SCL line. Measurement?

Repeat for the SDA line.

Now connect the display. Repeat the above measurements. All with no power and meter in diode mode.

Comment

okay so on diode mode with the display disconnected 0.470v on SDA and 0.471v on SCL.Same measurements with Display connected.
      I ended up trying out another display and still getting the exact same symptoms.

Comment

These are good readings in diode mode.

There are numerous I2C bus connections on the LCD display connector.

With no power, meter in DIODE mode.

Red probe to ground.
        Black probe on point to test -> continue to test each and every I2C line.

See attached. If you have similar readings for each of these I2C lines, proceed to test the other pins on the LCD display connector WITH the display attached.

Someone is tanking the logic board once the display is attached.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi mon i spent days and nights troubleshooting all kind of different scenarios to figure out what the hell is going on with this board.As soon as it is about to show boot logo on screen it shuts down kinda like when u hold down the power button.I see a split second flash on screen.I tried everything in the book.And still no hope.I narrowed it down too this. Once the board is in a chasis it will not complete a boot with picture with screen and battery attached. if I take it out of the chasis and connect the screen and battery only it will complete the boot and give me picture.I ruled out everything else and i mean everything. I also tried to put some paper under the entire board but still no hope.I switched chasis nothing changed.I can't begin to state every component i changed prior.lol. I changed smc 3 times. the ISL. 4 main components of the backlight circuit. Backlight IC and Mosfets. I even changed the battery Mosfet.One thing tho if i remove the backlight fuse with screen connected it completes the boot cycle.So thought it was related to backlight which is why i changed all main components for the backlight circuit. I don't know what to try again. Anything you can point out to test or try ?

Comment

Hi maybe a gues but i would look into lidswitch area . I think something wrong there.

Greetings
            Steve

Comment

This model and age is affected by the flex gate issue.

Remove the display cables.

Boot normally. Are you able to toggle the caps led on the keyboard after booting and waiting the time for the login screen?

Comment

Yes if i remove the display cable i will boot normally. I'll have cpuvcore. And also I get external display.I have 3x screens.2 of them are for testing.2 of them Got a lot of scratches and dents. But they work fine.And the other one is a brand new screen I ordered which came about 2 weeks now.All screens do the same thing.
                Thanks a lot for the guess Stevedb.That is the only area i didn't check out.I just woke up and now about to check out this lidswitch thingy.

Comment

Okay so am reporting back on the success now of this board. Believe it or not it was a bad bios or Bad MeRegion. I downloaded a Clean ME Region from peste on this forum and slapped it in.And all problems disappeared. It's working fine now with everything connected.Was able to learn a good bit of things to check in this thread about the sda/scl lines very grateful for that.Thanks to everyone.

Comment

Well done. Thanks for your update.

Comment

Working...
                    X