No announcement yet.

Macbook Pro A1990 820-01814-A - no webcam, no True Tone, no keyboard backlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Macbook Pro A1990 820-01814-A - no webcam, no True Tone, no keyboard backlight

Hi there,

after I replaced the topcase of the Mac, there is no webcam, no True Tone, no keyboard backlight working and also in the display settings there is missing the option for automatic display brightness. When I run the Apple Hardware Test, there is no issue found.

I would highly appreciate any kind of hint.

Thank you.

Re: Macbook Pro A1990 820-01814-A - no webcam, no True Tone, no keyboard backlight

These all sound to be smbus / I2C linked.

Carefully measure the voltage to ground of the SCL and SDA pins. Post the voltage measurements.

Comment

Re: Macbook Pro A1990 820-01814-A - no webcam, no True Tone, no keyboard backlight

Thank you, mon2.

I'll take a look into it. Do you know what might have caused the issue?

Comment

No, fault could be anything.

Also review the voltage of IPD_LID_OPEN. The above symptoms could be due to the logic board believing the lid is closed. This signal is on the trackpad connector.

As an idea, remove the trackpad cable and use an external mouse -> does the webcam function ? There is a MUX that is enabled / disabled for the webcam signals. Be sure the webcam is not disabled via software.

Apply a PRAM reset.

Comment

I disconnected the trackpad cable; the keyboard does not work now, the fans are on high speed. The webcam still does not work.

Anyway, thank you so much.
          Last edited by abadcap; 11-09-2022, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Yes, fan will be high speed since the sensors are in the trackpad. Ok to attach the trackpad again.

Review the voltage of IPD_LID_OPEN to ground on the logic board.

Comment

I doubt anything is wrong ....but suspect a mismatch of components between 2018 and 2019 models.

MBA offers the same symptom's if you try to use a 2019 screen on a 2018 model.

But i have no experience with 15" Pro so cannot say for sure.

Comment

Have you asked the vendor of the topcase? Aliexpress or from a donor ?

Comment

Yup, see here:

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/...en+replacement

Comment

Both components (topcase + screen) are from Apple, no Aliexpress. Just the topcase might be from 2018. The board and screen are from 2019.

Comment

Was it ordered directly from Apple by you or through a reseller?

If it is an Apple original, can you ask their tech on why the truetone; webcam features are now lost?

I think compatibility is a factor - not sure if you have seen the following webpage - believe it is by @Piernov.

https://logi.wiki/index.php/MacBook_..._Compatibility

(still trying to navigate through the comparisons..)

Comment

Short update: All voltage measurements are correct. The board has still the issue. I also tried another topcase, nothing changed. It is kind of a desperate situation with that board.

Comment

Its being a while from this post. I read in a different post here that if you connect a 2017 LCD into a 2018/2019 it will work but you will have exactly this symptoms, and even installing later on a 2019 LCD. And this is because the serial number is saved in the security chip and get deleted? I am sure you can find the post here. To solve it the SSD needs to be wiped and installed from scratch with the good LCD connected (this is what I read)

Comment

I HAVE ALREADY DETECTED THESE SAME FAULTS IN SEVERAL EQUIPMENT AND IN ALL OF THEM IT TURNS TO BE A FAILURE OF THE "FLEX" THAT GOES FROM THE MOTHERBOARD TO THE DISPLAY

Comment

• Lisa Su
                              Lisa Su commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Don't shout (writing in all-caps). Also you could have edited your previous post.
                          Working...
                          X