ROG G512li No power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ROG G512li No power

What are the details of your programmer?

Does it support the use of 1v8 flash devices?

Perhaps you have an adapter that can support this low voltage flash device?

If this flash was powered by 3v3 then yes this flash device is likely damaged.

The flash device should be available from Digikey or Mouser but not sure about the contents.

Can you load up and review the contents read by your programmer? Post the image file here for a review.

Comment

Yes, but which FET's did you change? If they were high side MOSFET's for the CPU/GPU, then they are likely damaged as they've been exposed to excessive voltage. If you have your voltages around the CPU/GPU after replacement, you look at your input current via power supply (without battery) to see if there is any activity. For example, if it turns on and the current remains static, then the CPU is likely dead. CPU's that are executing code the current will vary up and down.

At this point you don't even have that, so it's an EC related issue if the main power rails aren't coming up. Again, you look at your input current via external power supply to see if there is any reaction to power button press.

Comment

Thanks mon2 Programer used was the CH341A, but I used it without the green adapter that I believe is the one for lower voltage chips. Strange thing is it still read the chip that way. I did make a backup so I'll post it later.

Comment

Thanks reformatt. I will show you what FET's were replaced. The two circled in green have been replaced, although in the photo I had only just removed the one, both were replaced with band new exact part.
          Attached Files

Comment

Is this the BGA you have reballed?
            Attached Files
            FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Hmmmm, yeah, let's take a closer look under the microscope. Sometimes regular photo shadows can be a bitch. Here ya go! ...
              Attached Files

Comment

Here is the bin file from the WINBOND chip Mon2 ...
                Attached Files

Comment

I am tempted to say this is not the same picture from before. However, even if it is, it already appears that the issue get worse the longer this repair attempt lasts.

In my opinion you have to sort out a few things before you can continue with troubleshooting, since we don't know whether

- the various power rails still measures healthy (resistances and voltages)
                  - the firmware in the various SPI flash is (still) fine/known working.
                  - there is a chance that you repeatedly program corrupt files by using CH341 along with AsProgrammer application, maybe even in combination with a alligator clip...?
                  - the CPU is already dead, since the Die and the surrounding substrate looks horrible (see healthy power rails)
                  - whether the replaced Mosfets in the CPU section are suitable

Also, why did you replace the the Dual-Mosfets of two VCC_Core Phases at all? for what reason? And why two out of four?

No offense, but nobody can work like that, share only half of the necessary informations and expect success this way. In my opionion there is no point to proceed as long as this all isn't ruled out.
                  FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Sephir0th, What? I have zero reason to lie here. I can take another photo or video using the iPhone camera and time stamp it to show you what Apple's AI assisted digital zoom does to images in some cases (along with shadows), but as I've noted, I may not be able to figure out some of what's going on with this laptop, as I work more with MacBooks, but I can assure you that I have re-balled and replaced literally thousands of BGA chips and know exactly what I'm doing in that regard. My work is extremely clean and always in a factory or better state when I'm done. Actually I am going to post the proof of these photos when I am home later regardless. Anyway, I am still waiting for Mon2 to look over the BIOS from the WINBOND chip I posted and maybe some ideas about how to check if the chip has been blown due to over voltage. No offence taken, but no offence to you when I say, maybe you should go back and re-read everything that was written here and on my BIOS post, as maybe of the things you're saying have already been covered in previous posts. Just to be clear I replaced two FET's (with brand new exact same chip) as there was a short at the power connector FET's and the laptop had ZERO power. I checked the readings and the two FET's I replaced were very low readings, very much the exact situation that Alex from NorthridgeFix had on the same laptop. I went through the same procedure and absolutely was able to get the laptop to power on again. and the FET reading were normal. The problem at that point was that the laptop had no image. I had full LEDs, the battery was charging and the CPU/GPU and PCH were all getting warm/hot, but no image, even on an external display. I found info on forums that indicated that if the BIOS had become corrupt it won't show an image on the screen or external display. Once it was re-programed with a known good BIOS it might work once again, unless the CPU or GPU has been fried. I think I was going in the right direction in my opinion. Normally I can reference back to a schematic and boar view combination, but I was not able to located the exact files I needed for that. My only mistake so far was that I originally removed the WINBOND chip, thinking it was the BIOS that needed to be flashed and used it with my CH341A programer, by putting 3.3v into that chip it may have damaged it, but my thinking is, if it can be read, it very well might be ok. I know after putting it back on the board, I did have power still. It wasn't until I reprogrammed the real BIOS chip with a new BIOS made for me by a member of BADCAPS (see the BIOS thread I posted) that I had no power. Not his fault I'm sure. He recommend I revert to the original backed up BIOS and try again. I did that, but still no power. I looked over the board and noticed the black plastic tape on the opposite side of the board in the RAM slot (RAM was taken out of course) had shrunk up due to the heat from removing the BIOS chip. when I peeled back the black tape I looked it over carefully and noticed the BGA chip (the one you say I lied about) and a resister had moved slightly, so I completely re-balled the BGA and reset the resister. Tried it again, but no power. Now this is where I am. With all due respect, sometimes it helps to go back and read the entire story before concluding there was not enough info for anyone to help or that things were done in the wrong order, That way I wouldn't have to retype everything once again. I would be grateful for helpful words, but unnecessary criticism is not needed please.
                    Last edited by Zparts01; 03-07-2023, 12:31 PM.

Comment

I think the image looks ok but be sure to use a low voltage adapter for low voltage flash devices. Otherwise, the flash device can get killed.

Just observing the ASCII text inside the posted flash memory dump. As we can read the text, the dump is likely to be ok.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you Mon2! Just wondering, if the flash chip can be written to and read ok, does that mean it's not damaged?

Comment

If you want to proceed like that, feel free to do so. Alone the fact to rely on something, what "Alex" did, tells me more than enough. It will be my last disturbance, promised.

However, i'm satisfied my objections finally brought up the really important answers. So you had high side short of the CPU Core and we needed 2 Pages of postings to get behind this?

It is a dead CPU.

Regards
                          FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Yes, because anybody other than you can't possibly provide helpful insight. Even a man who repairs hundreds of similar ASUS gaming laptops per month and has millions of viewers. Please get over yourself. I assure you at my age (I'm 54), you know nothing about me or what I do. I always welcome information from the helpful members of the repair community. My understanding of this forum is that you're supposed to be here to help people and share information, not to criticize or attempt to belittle others within the repair community. The CPU is dead, when I determine it is. Until then I will continue to explore all possibilities. To me, that why I enjoy doing repair in the first place, even if it doesn't always end well. Good day sir!

Comment

If you are able to erase / program and verify the flash chip contents against your memory buffer, the flash chip is very likely to be ok.

Comment

Ok, Thanks Mon2. I will do an erase and rewrite with the original backup file, just the verify that it's ok. Of course I will use the 1.8v adapter this time.

Comment

Normally I'd not get involved however that won't help you in the long run. I'd have to say I agree with @Sephir0th's sentiments to some degree. Perhaps he could've worded it better, but maybe you need to be a bit less thin skinned. Constructive criticism is how we improve after all, and I was subjected to far worse as a trainee. But in the end, it makes you a better tech despite the fact that some people came off as complete pricks at the time.

The information provided so far has not been structured and well laid out. I had to re-read what you wrote to realise you removed and reballed the EC. It took many posts for you to indicate which FET's you actually replaced. In that situation, I wouldn't waste much time on it because it's highly likely the CPU sustained damage. Again, I advised to check input current via external power supply but this seems to be ignored. You want to know if this board is fixable or going to the donor pile after all, and this is the main way you determine if your CPU is damaged. Blindly hoping a BIOS fix will solve it is just wishful thinking.

Alex from NorthridgeFix never does any meaningful troubleshooting so don't use him as a yardstick. He only does the money for jam jobs because he's chasing the dollar. People here that help are into genuine troubleshooting, not Please Bro, give me the solution. We can only help when we are given accurate, structured information. When it's delivered haphazardly, it makes it difficult to follow, and we can't be constructive.
                                  Last edited by reformatt; 03-07-2023, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Constructive criticism I don't mind at all, but being called a liar is not acceptable behaviour if someone is genuinely trying to help. I'm not here for money and banging out laptops like Alex does, nor do I look for a please bro fix. I genuinely wish to understand why I went from having power to NOT having power, just by flashing the main BIOS chip. reformatt, I don't understand why it is you didn't see that I wrote I have 3.3v at the switch when I press it with ONLY the power supply connected. I also have 19.62v at the power input and at several areas on the board, but yet it does not power up as it did before I wrote the BIOS (although as I said, I have reverted to the original BIOS now with still no power). I do not know many of the key areas to take power readings from on this board as I do not have the boardview and schematics for this model. How am I able to give accurate, structured information when I don't know where you want it from?

Here is the photo and a video of the same chip in question by the way.
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by Zparts01; 03-07-2023, 08:24 PM. Reason: add a comment

Comment

Ok, so hopefully that's all out of the way. I'm working on getting the power back and only that for now. Mon2, I have noticed that although I did use CH341A programer without the adapter for the 1.8v WINBOND chip. I can't seem to read that chip at all when I used the adapter. I know I should not read or write that chip without the adapter, but as it had worked before without it I thought I would give it a try, since no configuration would read it with the 1.8v adapter. Strange thing is, it detected and showed the exact chip without the adapter and even lists that it is an 1.8v chip. I can read it perfectly as well. Why would this be the case?

Comment

Hmm. Concern is the opposite condition...will the logic board be able to detect and use the flash device when it is actually being powered by 1v8 ?

Have read too many posts in the last 48 hours but can you summarize:

what is the exact and full topside markings of the original flash device?

would you have a replacement device rated for 1v8 operation?

The key reason for these questions is that many of these motherboards are starting to use QSPI mode (ie. QE bit = '1') as supplied by the flash memory factory.

Respectively,

a) concerned that your flash does not function @ 1v8. Is the the fault of the bridge board? Check the Vcc on the IC with the bridge board to be sure. Check for dry solder connections.

b) if using a replacement IC, you may need to source a device with QE='1' from the vendor of the IC.

Comment

Thank you Mon2. I will get back to you with all of that info as soon as I can!

Comment

Working...
                                          X