ROG G512li No power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ROG G512li No power

Mon2, I was able to check the voltage on the bridge board is 1.8v. I have attached 2 photos, One show the full chip markings on the top and the other shows the chip mounted onto the adapter board that I then plug into the 1.8v bridge board, then into the CH341A. If I plug the adapter board with the chip on it directly into the CH341A it detects the exact chip, but says it's a 1.8v chip. Very strange.
    Attached Files

Comment

The flash device is indeed a 1v8 rated part.
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Mon2! I'm just confused as to why it won't work in the bridge board, but works straight up in the CH341A where it can be read perfectly. Could it have been damaged in some way?

Comment

According to the datasheet and part number decoder, this device cannot handle a high voltage on the Vcc rail such as 3v3. That is beyond the max rating.

If the low voltage bridge board is functional with other parts you have used in the past then can only conclude that this flash device is not stable to operate @ 1v8.

You can try it but best to seek out a replacement of the same part. Grab a few. Check the fresh stock on the bridge board that operates @ 1v8. Does it work? Continue to flash your contents and verify again at 1v8.

Finally apply onto your board.

Comment

That makes sense to me for sure. I will order some new chips and see if I have any issues using the bridge board. I'll let you know once I have done that. Thanks!

Comment

mon2 I was able to get the new chips. Although they are the same number the last 3 characters are not the same. The one I had ends in NIG and the new one in SIG. They look the same spec on paper, but the size profile is a little wider. Hope that's no an issue. Anyway, I am guessing my programer is fried as the new chips do not work in it either. Could there be any other reason for this? I have checked the adapter configuration schema several times and it is right, but still does not see the chip, new or old.

Comment

Does the programmer function correctly with other 3v3 flash devices?

Comment

Yes, it's fine as a 3.3v without the adapter.

Comment

So the fault is with the adapter and/or seating into the fake ZIF sockets.

Confirm that the orientation of this adapter board is correct for your purchased model.

Review the male pins that mate with the zero force socket and be sure that each is with a clean solder joint on the bottom side of this adapter PCB.

My bet is on a dry solder connection.

Recently purchased from (low cost) RISC-V kits from a vendor on Aliexpress. Out of the 5 kits, 3 did not work. Had to resolder the onboard LCD display connector. The vendor was amazing to chat with me till midnight, their time in Shenzhen so 5 stars for the service. He agreed that he will kick their QC team to correct these faults for future builds.

Comment

Ah! Great info thanks! I think you might be right! I'm at the office right now, but I'll be checking that tonight. I just assumed the solder joints would be good. It would be good if that's the only problem. I'll let you know!

Comment

Sadly it was not the solder joints. I have checked each one carefully and even refreshed them, but still nothing. I will order a new CH341A if you think it must be the adapter . I bought the one I have as a kit, comes with everything. I will just do the same if you believe it's a good idea?

Comment

Ok, so I received my new CH341A and indeed the old one was fried. I was able to erase one of the new chips and write the saved good backup file (the one I posted here) to the chip, then soldered it back to the board, but still no power. I went over everything I could think of once again and even went as far as to remove and re-ball the BGA chip others had questioned, just in case something was shorting out, when I removed it I could tell it was a perfect clean install, but I cleaned everything off and re-balled it again. No difference. Still no power. Without the right schematics and bad I'm kind of flying blind. I have tested the board in several areas for voltage and shorts, but can't find anything. Any more ideas?

Comment

The only other variable at possible play here is the QE bit.

By factory default, both the original and replacement do NOT have QE=1. This means standard, slow spi commands and data flow are applicable.

It is still possible that the original chip was programmed with QE=1 for QSPI mode communication.

There has to be a freeware programming software to check and allow you to toggle the QE bit of your flash.

If and when found, you could enable the QE bit and test again. The data sheet mentions to not enable the QE bit if some of the lines (/WP and /hold) are tied low. You can check this before attempting.

Comment

Thanks mon2! I will do some research this topic and see what I can find some free software to help. I'll post when I find it!

Comment

After searching for the better part of two days, I can't seem to find any software that would allow me to change the QE bit to QE=1. Any ideas what I might use to do this?

Comment

Anyone?

Comment

It blows my mind that there is no public code for this feature. It is a simple extension to the code that has already been developed. Due to the drunk driver accident into our building, very difficult to find this programmer tool but will review as time permits. As of yesterday, found some source code but do not have this IC on hand. Summary - with some quality time, it should be possible to tweak the existing public source code to support this feature. No ETA.

Comment

T56 and SVOD both support it. Status Reg in the Xgecu software, or Config SPI in SVOD.

Maybe take a look here for AsProgrammer:

https://khandishnetwork.com/2021/01/...rror-solution/

For a 25Q64FV chip I had lying around and threw in my T56, says that S9 is for Quad Enable.

Comment

Thanks mon2! First of all, sorry to hear about the drunk driver accident! I hope everyone is ok! ... I was also surprised there did not seem to be a tool available to switch from QE=0 to QE=1 ... Hopefully when time permits you can tweak the source code. As this is just a fun project/learning experience, No in any big rush, unless I get tired of looking at the parts everywhere and just scrap it. Lol (I'm sure I won't do that)

Comment

Thanks reformatt! I will look into what you wrote. I'll be checking that link out for sure! Maybe I will find the answers I'm looking for there!

Comment

Working...
                                          X