Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G power on but black screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G power on but black screen

hi, i have an acer aspire 5 a515-51g that turns on but has a black screen.
    I tried to flash the bios with this https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...8&postcount=30 but the problem is still there

To be precise: I press the power button, the fan spins for a few seconds and then stops, the computer stays on all the time (led blue), the cpu and gpu are lukewarm. If I leave the pc on for a few minutes the fan starts spinning a bit and then shuts down again and the pc stays on all the time.

What could it be?
    What measurements can I take?

sorry but my electronic competence is not very high

motherboard: LA-E892P
    C5V01 REV 1C

ps: I also add that when I press the power button there seems to be a slight backlight, the color swap slightly and it becomes darker than when it is off

MOD Edit: Link to schematic -> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=123072
    Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-02-2023, 11:59 AM.

Re: Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G power on but black screen

hi, i have your exact same problem with an acer A515-45
    I opened a post here https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=116721

my notebook arrived without the ssd mounted so I don't see if it loads the operating system.
    Have you tried connecting an external hdmi monitor?
    Last edited by Egidio85; 03-11-2023, 09:57 AM.

Comment

"on for a few minutes the fan starts spinning a bit and then shuts down again and the pc stays on all the time"

looks like normal reset. did u flash bios?

Comment

I flashed the bios with this https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...8&postcount=30 but the problem remained the same

Comment

History of the laptop?? You received it as no display case or you fixed a dead unit?? Pl clarify.

DRAMRST# present??

Comment

Some Acers need horribly long till they show picture after hard reset, like 3 -5 Minutes or so, often doing at least two reboots.

So first clarify whether it is like that or similar. Patience might be the key then. Also check whether CapsLock is reacting by any chance with external keyboard and/or whether you're able to reset it with the CTRL+ALT+DEL combination, after a few minutes of the board staying on.
            FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
              History of the laptop?? You received it as no display case or you fixed a dead unit?? Pl clarify.

DRAMRST# present??
              the laptop belonged to a client of mine who gave it to me to buy another one.

The laptop is complete with everything, display ram etc. The customer says that one day suddenly
              it didn't work anymore, it turns on but you can't see anything on the screen.

DDR_DRAMRST 1,21V

Originally posted by Sephir0th View Post
              Some Acers need horribly long till they show picture after hard reset, like 3 -5 Minutes or so, often doing at least two reboots.

So first clarify whether it is like that or similar. Patience might be the key then. Also check whether CapsLock is reacting by any chance with external keyboard and/or whether you're able to reset it with the CTRL+ALT+DEL combination, after a few minutes of the board staying on.

before trying to flash the bios I kept the laptop on for several minutes but nothing changed
              I also tried to hold the fn+esc key and then turn it on, two things happened: the first time the fan went to its maximum but for a few seconds it then turned off (computer always on) and then it started spinning normally when the cpu heats up a bit

The second time I tried to turn it on instead the fan was running at maximum continuously, I was hoping something would have happened and I kept it on for at least 7 8 minutes but nothing changed

Whit external keyboard capslock don't appear
              Last edited by resistor83; 03-13-2023, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I beleive ram is onboard on this model. Worth trying disabling it. Is there not much variation in consumption on your dc supply?? I mean like it goes straight away to say 550mA and moves a bit and stand still after that??

Comment

yes this model has 4gb ram soldered and 4gb removable.

Both with 8gb and with only 4gb soldered, the consumption is 0.50/0.51 A

here the video:

https://streamable.com/akf8r0(you can also notice the screen that when you turn on it makes a slight glow and even after)

ps: the laptop restarts once because i didn't connect the battery
                  Last edited by resistor83; 03-14-2023, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Check for PLT_RST# too and if present stay at BIOS in my opinion. Exclude write errors and similar.

If nothing turns out, detailed visual inspection of the motherboard for open lines, ripped components and so on.
                    FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

This mb is known to have failing onboard ram. Worth try disabling it. Schematic and bdv -both are available on forum. I has such a case twice and my board wad LA-E891P.

Comment

Originally posted by Sephir0th View Post
                        Check for PLT_RST# too and if present stay at BIOS in my opinion. Exclude write errors and similar.

If nothing turns out, detailed visual inspection of the motherboard for open lines, ripped components and so on.
                        PLT_RST 3,35V

for the moment I have made the measurements on the coils (see photo)
                        it seems that PL096 has no voltage so also +VCC_GT
                        Attached Files

Comment

This mb is known to have failing onboard ram. Worth try disabling it. Schematic and bdv -both are available on forum. I has such a case twice and my board wad LA-E891P.
                          only schematic rev 1A is around, my board is 1C but it should be fine anyway, right?

I also attach the boardview below

MOD Edit: Link to boardview -> https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=100189

Can you tell me how do I disable the internal ram module on this model?

thank you!

in the meantime I checked the welded module and it's from samsung
                          Last edited by SMDFlea; 09-02-2023, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Look at page12 of diagram. Its detailed there. Shifting of resistors depends on which brand of onboard ram you have. The concept is to pull alll the ram id's to "1" to make it no onboard memory. If you dont understand it still, tell us the onboard memory details.

Comment

I wanted to ask if I'm thinking right:

the ram module is samsung so i should move the resistor that is on ID1 to the left, right?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Correction: ID3, ID2 and ID0 must be moved to the right in my photo, is correct?

Comment

RAM ID_0/2/3 needs to be pulled to "1" This means shifting
                                  RC155 to RC151
                                  RC226 to RC153
                                  RC227 to RC224

Boardview will help you locate these resistors.

Comment

I moved the resistors but I still don't see anything on the screen, I only noticed that the slight flashes are gone, only one when I press the power button

can i do some other measurements?
                                    Last edited by resistor83; 03-18-2023, 10:28 AM.

Comment

You are sure you moved the correct resistors. Double check them with boardview. You put a ram stick on the slot-right?

Comment

You are sure you moved the correct resistors. Double check them with boardview. You put a ram stick on the slot-right?
                                        yes, I moved the resistors correctly (see photo), I also tried to put another ram module but nothing
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X