Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The longest you've ever used a single system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The longest you've ever used a single system?

Originally posted by samtron786 View Post
    Intel 80386 PC or Intel 486 DX4 :-)
    1997 :-)
    Nice! I've got a 1993 Gateway 2000 system with an 80486-DX2/100 (50MHz external clock) with 8MB RAM (8x 30-pin FPM SIMMs), an ATi Mach/8 GPU, a Soundblaster Vibra/16 (CT4170) soundcard, a UMC UM9008F network card, and an Adaptec AVA1515 SCSI controller, connected to a Seagate ST4766NV SCSI drive and a Sony SDT-5000 external tape drive. Running MS-DOS 6.22 + Windows for Workgroups 3.11.
    Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

My computer doubles as a space heater.

Permanently Retired Systems:
    RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
    Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems
    - 1996 Power Macintosh 7200/120 + PC Compatibility Card - Under Restoration
    - 1993 Gateway 2000 80486DX/50 - Fully Operational/WIP
    - 2004 Athlon 64 Retro Gaming System - Indefinitely Parked
    - Main Workstation - Fully operational!

sigpic

Comment

Does my Commodore 64SX count as still used and running?

Comment

I've used my Windows 7 tower from 2016 until 2019 when the hard drive died, and then I upgraded to a Thinkpad Edge (0319-3tg) but even that's getting on with age a bit I've used It from 2019 to Now (typing on it as we speak)

However the fact I'm still using Windows 8.1 isn't good, but my New HP Probook 640 G3 should last me another 5 years easily. The ThinkPad will go into my Collection and I'm tempted to just part our the Win7 tower or just turn it into some sort of server.

Unfortunately my HP is currently chilling in a box in my dad's garage in Ireland, probably squished underneath the Alienware Area-51 M7700 I have but when I'm next over there I'll pick it up and finally put my Lenovo to rest. It's been an absolute bloody legend and I'm eventually going to upgrade it's CPU to a 1st generation I5 (currently using an i3)

I've used a MacBook Pro 13in 2010 for the longest time... eventually replacing it with a similarly aged Retina last year. The Mac was an upgrade from my Emac...which was an upgrade from my iMac (Tangerine G3 400mhz) which was an upgrade from my shuttle XPC SN41G2 (Athlon XP, 256mb, 80GB, Ubuntu)

Which in turn was an upgrade from my Emate 300.

How I've gone from a small Green Glorified PDA to collection of over 100 different systems of different makes and models astounds me....and I Still have almost all of them except the 13in and the Emate.

Comment

The box I'm writing this post on:

XP (32-bit)
          Lenovo M58 (3GHz Core 2 Duo, 4G RAM)
          Mypal browser

Comment

My main workstation is about to roll past the 8 year mark and shows no signs of stopping soon.
            Don't buy those $10 PSU "specials". They fail, and they have taken whole computers with them.

RIP Advantech UNO-3072LA (2008-2021) - Decommissioned and taken out of service permanently due to lack of software support for it. Not very likely to ever be recommissioned again.
            Asus Q550LF (Old main laptop, 2014-2022) - Decommissioned and stripped due to a myriad of problems, the main battery bloating being the final nail in the coffin.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

My main PC, while the rest of the HW has gone through at least 3 or 4 changes along the years, the Win10 Enterprise install on it is now 8 years old. Two 775s, an AM3 and today's 1155 Ivy is what it went thru.
              Main rig:
              Gigabyte B75M-D3H
              Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
              Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
              16GB DDR3-1600
              Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
              FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
              120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
              Delux MG760 case

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

This one is still in use; infact this post created from it:

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8901

Built in 2010....It was mothballed for a little while...but still active, so in February it will be 13 years. It began with XP64. It's currently running Server 2016 standard until that goes EOL or the system dies; whichever comes first....but I'll lay odds the OS goes EOL before this freight train dies.

Then there's still this one, still cranking along since 2012.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19940
                Both of these relics are still in operation...as a matter of fact, this message typed on the one built in 2010....so 14 years so far.
                <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
                Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
                http://folding.stanford.edu/
                Team : 49813
                Join in!!
                Team Stats

Comment

I think I had a client bring in one of those X8DAi at one point, his issue being bad RAM sticks.

The most impressive thing was the watercooling. All custom made. IIRC he still uses it to this day for CAD applications.

Meanwhile I just dug out my EX58-UD5 out of its box. Probably boring given it's a consumer board - but I owe it an Xeon Crossfire mayhem to unfold, soon enough hopefully.
                  Main rig:
                  Gigabyte B75M-D3H
                  Core i5-3470 3.60GHz
                  Gigabyte Geforce GTX650 1GB GDDR5
                  16GB DDR3-1600
                  Samsung SH-224AB DVD-RW
                  FSP Bluestorm II 500W (recapped)
                  120GB ADATA + 2x Seagate Barracuda ES.2 ST31000340NS 1TB
                  Delux MG760 case

Comment

Pitching in with a couple of my dad's computers. (Is this cheating?)
                    Main desktop of his is a Gateway FX-6831, 14 years strong. It's been through a few hard drives, and I stuck it in one of my old cases a few years ago so that it would stop eating hard drives for lunch.
                    His laptop is a Toshiba Satellite P755-S5262, still running 14 or 15 years later. I just did a fresh Windows reinstall on it the other day, in fact. Dropped in an SSD, bumped the RAM from 6GB up to 8GB, and dropped a fresh install of 11 Pro on it.

Kooky and Kool Systems

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X