HP Pavilion Laptop Motherboard Not Starting Up DA0R53MB6E1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HP Pavilion Laptop Motherboard Not Starting Up DA0R53MB6E1

This is not helpful. Voltage measurements are less than half of the "picture". Always check resistance to GND of the rails which are supposed to be up, but not coming up.

I told already, you're probably dealing with multiple issues.
    FairRepair on YouTube

Comment

PU8
      pin 20 = 19.7v, infinite
      pin 16 = 6v, 65kOhm
      pin 4 = 25.5v, infinite

PU12 acin = 65kOhm
      pu8 acpresent = 77kOhm
      acdet 70 kOhm

pu7
      phase2 = 9kOhm
      lgate2 90kOhm
      phase1 20kOhm and rising
      lgate1 90kOhm
      entrip1 80 kOhm
      entrip2 90kOhm
      pgood 15kOhm and rising

I'm not sure about power sequence here,what am I missing on pu7 to get powergood ?
      Last edited by Crabolog; 03-21-2023, 05:46 AM.

Comment

PU12 needs replacement or if you have all the tools and expertise, then cut the track of ACIN pin of PU12. If my memory is not failing PR175 is not populated and rather just a jumper. You need to disconnect ACIN. this pin is connected to charging IC. Actually PU12 is pulling down ACIN on charger IC. hence PU12 and charging IC needs isolation.

However, the best option is to replace PU12 if you are not comfortable with this idea. This fault is quite common on Quanta R53/R33 board.

Comment

What should I check if I remove pr175? I still have 0.005v on PU8 pin5. Resistance to gnd is 75kOhms
          Last edited by Crabolog; 03-21-2023, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Same voltage and resistance on PU16 21 pin ACIN = 0.005v
            PU8:
            ACDET 2.75v
            ACN = 19.7V
            ACP = 19.7V
            VCC = 19.7
            CMSRC = 19.7V
            ACDRV = 25V
            PHASE = 2.8V
            SDA =3.3V
            SLC = 3.3V
            ILIM =3.3V
            SRP =2.8V
            SRN = 2.8V
            HIDRV = 2.8V
            LODRV = 0V
            BTST = 6V
            REGN6v = 5.99V
            ACPRES (ACIN) = 0.005V

DC JACK ADID = 0.6v

I'm not sure why acin is missing, will check pr80 and pr79
            Last edited by Crabolog; 03-21-2023, 10:37 AM.

Comment

ACIN will have a pull-up on the pin as this is an open-drain output.

So there is a logic low but will be floating when the adapter voltage is deemed to be ok. For this reason, the pull-up must be present to define the soft high state.

Check the voltage to ground on each side of the pull-up resistor on this signal line.

Comment

I assume pr80 is the pull up resistor here. It has 6v on one pin, and 0.005v on another pin that goes to ACIN on PU8.
                I've replaced it and pr79 with new 100k resistors, but no change.
                Resistance of pr80 to gnd is 85k, same for pr79

PIN5 ACIN on pu8 has 80k to gnd
                Also I have 19.7v on pin1 of PR175 that I've removed, I assume that is not right.
                Last edited by Crabolog; 03-21-2023, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Personally do not understand the need for PR79 in the circuit.

With both, PR79 & PR80 in the circuit, we have a voltage divider.

On such a design, PR79 should be removed and only an external pull-up (PR80) should be present.

Then the BQ charger can either drive a logic low (ie. 0 volts) onto this signal line OR allow for the pin to float / Hi-Z so that PR80 will pull the line HIGH to the REGN voltage.

Given that you see only 0v on this line and the resistance is not low, this can only mean that the charger IC is driving this pin LOW which results from the charger IC believing that the adapter voltage is absent or too low.

What is the voltage to ground of ACDET pin # 6 (with the power adapter connected) ? This is a threshold voltage that the adapter must meet or exceed to be detected.

Comment

ACDET pin 6 of PU8 = 2.75v
                    Last edited by Crabolog; 03-21-2023, 12:18 PM.

Comment

See attached on the conditions that must be met before pin #5 will be in hi-Z state which will then allow for the external pull-up to bring this signal line to a logic '1'.

One of these conditions must be failing here.
                      Attached Files

Comment

What is the voltage to ground of AD_TYPE ? This is the final shifted voltage used by the EC to detect the capacity of the power adapter. This pin is sampled by an analog to digital converter inside the EC @ U16.

Comment

it's 0.598v

Comment

I've already given the solution. PR175 is not populated-so how you removed it? PR175 is a solid trace on motherboard and you need to cut that solid trace to isolate ACIN. Else,simply replace PU12.
                            Last edited by mcplslg123; 03-22-2023, 01:27 AM.

Comment

I've attached a image showing which trace is PR175 and where to cut the trace with an arrow.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Issue resolved after changing PU12, thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Crabolog View Post
                                  Issue resolved after changing PU12, thanks
                                  Well, glad to hear that you solved it. But, if you have acted earlier on my suggestion, precious time of others wont be wasted.

Comment

Originally posted by mcplslg123 View Post
                                    I've attached a image showing which trace is PR175 and where to cut the trace with an arrow.
                                    This problem can be resolved without replacing PU12, if you cut the trace at the marked area. have done that on many occassion.

Comment

Working...
                                    X