Dim Clock LCD on Jenn-Air wall oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dim Clock LCD on Jenn-Air wall oven

Thanks for the thread Bluto, you are the man. 10 minute repair saved me over 2 bills, worked like a champ. No display for 7 years and no way I was gonna pay close to $350 for the part. Thanks again.
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi all, I just wanted to post another thank you and success story if anyone is still watching this thread after 4 years ! 50-year-old housewife here, and I didn't have any problems. The heads up about the polarity and the part numbers were very helpful. I also took the advice to order all the capacitors, including an extra C3 just in case. All I needed was one C3!

I found the thread using Google, and I followed the directions precisely, even ordering through Digi-Key and selecting First class mail, $2.75 to Pennsylvania. Capacitor C3 currently goes for 68 cents, (May 2013). It took 3 days to get here and about 15 - 20 minutes start to finish to remove the board and replace the bad capacitor and button everything back up.

Thanks Bluto and the other commenters who posted photos and advice. My display was out for over 5 years. I'm so happy and my husband is amazed.

Comment

To all: THANKS do much!!! I just completed the Capacitor replacement on my Jenn-Aire Control Panel Board as well and saved $150-300! Great posts, photos and instructions. This forum ROCKS!!! Can't thanks you all enough. A quip trip to radio shack and now "Mama" will be happy tonight when she get home and sees the nice blue clock staring at her!

Comment

Thanks Bluto!

After a power failure the display went dim....

Sure enough when I looked at C3 it was burnt a little.

Did not have a 68uf 35v cap. but did find some 47uf 35v caps and paralleled 2 of them which would equal 94uf so the display is a little brighter but still good.

Didn't cost a dime, but did take some time digging through my electro-scrap in my garage to find the two 47uf caps. on some PCB's and pull them.

Comment

Originally posted by bluto View Post
            I actually fixed this bugger a while ago, but though it would document it now so someone else with the same problem might be able to Google this and save some $. I have a Jenn-Air electric wall oven with all digital controls. At some point the VFD display module began to get dim to the point it was unreadable. Some times it would come back to life but eventually faded out completely. After much teeth gnashing I determined the problem to be a bad capacitor. C3 a 68uf 35v was bad. The was a very small dot of electrolyte on the board below it. I ended up replacing all 4 capacitors on the clock module while I was at it. It has been about 2 years now and it is still going strong. Now I just need to get around to replacing the 2 caps on the power supply/relay board before they roast and burn out the whole works!

The clock module has the following numbers on it: 100-00695-20 CN 7601P483-60. The maytag part number is 71001799. The part costs around $170. May also be used on other Maytag made brands (Maytag, KitchenAid, Amana, Magic Chef, Kenmore, Whirlpool, etc).

Pics attached:
            Just wanted to tell bluto that his original post is still saving people money and time and my wife thinks I'm a bloody genius. Just fixed the dimming problem on a 10 year old Jenn Air yesterday with his solution. Exact same symptoms - leaking C3. Replaced with a cap at higher voltage rating - hopefully will be more robust.

Thanks!

Comment

This is the third time my Jenn-Air wall oven's display has gone dim. I read the posts and this time I purchased a Digi-Key 68uF cap and planned to replace the old one. The circuit board in the oven is reconditioned. See my two photos attached.

The component presently in position "C3" isn't similar to the 68uF that I purchased. The board looks like that component was replaced in the past.

Any suggestions?
              Attached Files

Comment

Just replace the *cough* mess *cough* in that location with the new capacitor. It looks like some moron for whatever reason thought a crap cap could be made to last longer by limiting voltage/ current with a bodged-in resistor... Yeah, good one! (sarcasm)

Whoever refurbed that board must not have been the hottest soldering iron on the bench... that's pretty terrible. Damn. Hall of shame material?
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Damn. If I were going to 'refurbish' things in that manner, I sure wouldn't want to take credit for my work. Much less have it traceable with that fancy 'refurbished' sticker.

Comment

Thanks for the help. The repair was successful!

Comment

wow.and just to think a proper low esr cap in that position would have lasted the rest of the units useful life!but no we will bbq it with a resistor!

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                        wow.and just to think a proper low esr cap in that position would have lasted the rest of the units useful life!but no we will bbq it with a resistor!

Comment

Thanks for the help & pictures about replacing C3 capacitor. My display now works for the first time in about 3 years. Yea!

Comment

Bless you badcaps.net and contributors to this topic:

(fixed post to use attached/uploaded image rather than my hosted image)
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by mdseuss; 12-16-2013, 05:40 PM. Reason: followed FAQ for hosting images :-)

Comment

my jennair just went dim so i replaced the cap with a 50uf 100v (its what was at hand) and i like how bright the display is now.
                              just a hint for anyone who might come across this thread and thinks there display is too bright.
                              Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

First of all, thank you for this thread!

I've sent off for the digi-key replacement caps.

While I wait, I have a 35V 100uF cap to replace in the C3 position. Would that work?

Thanks and looking forward to not having to show you my work. (pictures taken now just in case)

Phil

Comment

haven't soldered in 20 years. ordered the caps from digikey ($2.07) and ran to radio shack to get a soldering iron, desoldering bulb, solder and flux ($30). removed 4 screws from the oven display panel. removed 4 screws and 3 plugs from the control panel. replaced the caps mentioned above. saved my girlfriend's mom $500 that was quoted to her from a repair man. thanks to everyone for the info. i got a lot of points for this! (this was a jenn-air double wall oven)

Comment

You should probably just wait and put the 68uf in position C3.

Originally posted by DrFillster View Post
                                    First of all, thank you for this thread!

I've sent off for the digi-key replacement caps.

While I wait, I have a 35V 100uF cap to replace in the C3 position. Would that work?

Thanks and looking forward to not having to show you my work. (pictures taken now just in case)

Phil

Comment

Re: Dead Clock LCD on Jenn-Air wall oven

Thanks Bluto! As with the many others, my clock went dim, then out and my keypad became unresponsive. Pulled the clock module, replaced all caps and, who woulda thunk it, the darn thing now works like new. The downside is that now I want to tear all of my electronics apart looking for bad caps. Got to justify the purchase of that Weller WP35.

Upside? My Klipsch iFi is now also working again after I replaced the 5 caps in the power supply.

Comment

I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say thanks for the help. I have never soldered before but after reading this post and watching a couple YouTube videos I was able to successfully repair the dim display on my oven in under 30 mins. My soldering job on the first terminal was not good so I had to redo it. But this was easy since I used a desoldering braid to remove the solder. I actually really enjoyed getting to learn a new skill.

I am also having another issue with my oven (Jenn-Air model SVD48600B) that hopefully someone can help with. My exhaust fan (downdraft fan) does not come on. When I press the button it beeps but then nothing happens. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to troubleshoot it? I am no master electrician but I do own a couple multimeters (as the name suggests I am a newb at this). Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Newb2014 View Post
                                          I know this is an old thread but just wanted to say thanks for the help. I have never soldered before but after reading this post and watching a couple YouTube videos I was able to successfully repair the dim display on my oven in under 30 mins. My soldering job on the first terminal was not good so I had to redo it. But this was easy since I used a desoldering braid to remove the solder. I actually really enjoyed getting to learn a new skill.

I am also having another issue with my oven (Jenn-Air model SVD48600B) that hopefully someone can help with. My exhaust fan (downdraft fan) does not come on. When I press the button it beeps but then nothing happens. Can someone point me in the right direction on how to troubleshoot it? I am no master electrician but I do own a couple multimeters (as the name suggests I am a newb at this). Thanks!
                                          Congrats on the repair job!

I wonder, does the display give an error code? Otherwise, the fan motor may be toasted. if you could get us a picture of the fan motor, we can point out where to check it with the multimeter.
                                          Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                                          X